Philadelphia, PA

Posted November 25, 2014
last sentence of last review should say "because of the lack of available support staff due to budget constraints." (not that the existing support staff isn't high quality).

Posted February 10, 2014
Our school is William Meredith. It's a rarity to be able to say conflicts have been resolved, and animosity dissolved. It has. I was the parent who wrote a poor review earlier. The school is a success overall. I feel grateful that the principal is making an effort. Nothing is ever perfect and with parents and children, life is complicated. Emotions as a parent are challenging. Being in charge of an entire school filled with children is heavy. I don't always understand the why and how of many, but if in the end there is a golden hearted purpose at hand, I can't fight that. It has been a learning experience to overcome our initial difficulties here. The support that shown throughout the difficulties is what makes this school even greater in my eyes. We can't help but love it, and my girls will be staying here until 8th grade, at their request. So whatever it is that went on, it was not felt enough by the children, for them to want to leave. They are in love with it. That's what matters. They are learning and growing and loved.

Posted March 01, 2013
I want to thank the facility and principal of Meredith for the immediate action which resolved an incident that occurred this morning (3/1/2013) in the school yard between me and a student. The incident is not worth detailing however what followed must. After a teacher settled the student(s) down she asked if I would speak with the principal, which I did. The principal wrote down my explanation and had the student detail his version. After a few minutes I received a call asking that I meet with the principal, the student, and his father, which I did. The outcome, for me, was an apology from the student and his father. *The incident occurred approximately at 8:30 am. It was resolved by 9:30 am. Once again, thank you. Jim Ross

Posted December 17, 2012
I think that Meredith is a terrific school. I moved to Philadelphia this year and I didn't know the area too well, but the one gleaming thing that I did hear was about Meredith. After school started, I felt my child was in good hands. I was so happy to go to the events and see the principal there. The principal is a very classy, down to earth lady who strives to make the school a great place for the kids. She is active and takes the time to make a nightly call. She is doing a fine job. What I am finding around Philadelphia is that the problem with the children who are getting into trouble lies within the parenting or lack thereof. I see kids out of control and the parents are oblivious. WAKE UP, PARENTS. Remember, your child is a representative of how they are being raised. Do a better job with your child and they won't be in detention. Obviously they are not acting right or they would not end up there in the first place. Behavior has absolutely nothing to do with skin color and everything to do with being taught how to respect people and act like a decent human being.

Posted November 17, 2012
A good school if you removed the principal who is cold to students, parents and teachers alike. Good programs, strong parental involvement, but no better than other Philadelphia district schools. Meredith aims to protect its reputation above all else, including unreported physical incidents, ignoring reports of bullying, labeling children, and operates in a realm of righteousness. Most notable is its lack of acceptance to the individual student, as Meredith s administration has its idea of what "its students look like." On many levels this attitude is problematic. The support system is driven by the expectation that the children should live up to the needs of the school. Meredith operates to maintain a reputation of a good school at all costs. You likely won t find a problem with the school as long as your child doesn t have a problem within the school (academic, peer issues etc). If you re looking for a school that supports children's individual needs and responds to its students and their parents' concerns (whenever they may arise), beware. At Meredith your voice is much smaller in comparison to their need and drive to maintain its image and facade.

Posted November 17, 2012
The previous principal of Meredith has worked hard to make this an excellent school. The school has a wonderful sense of community from parents who lend great support. Teachers are kind and care about their students and would probably do more to help students if it were not for the school's deteriorated administration. Its reputation for excellence is now tarnished by the self aggrandizing and controlling current principal who cares more about her school's image than the kids. If your child doesn't fit her cookie cutter image of what she thinks "represents 90% of the students at Meredith" your child's well being will suffer at her hands in maintaining the school's image. If a child is having a problem, she'll go out of her way to prove he's the problem than work to resolve the issue. There needs to be more oversight of this school's administration by the school district to meet the needs of all students with less emphasis from the principal's obsession with her school's image.

Posted July 03, 2012
Meredith is a wonderful school. My child has been in attendance at Meredith since the third grade, and will enter the 8th grade this school year. Here you find excellent teachers, parent involvement and a focus on the arts. My child has had the pleasure of receiving a well-rounded education just as good or better than private school education. I would recommend Meredith again, and again. Mrs. Farlino has come in and helped Meredith maintain it's prestigious place in the world of elementary education. The annual holiday and end of the year plays are not to be missed. The whole school comes together and puts on wonderful productions. Definitely a place for young artists to thrive and learn.

Posted September 06, 2011
I am the parent who wrote the prior review. Unfortunately, I can no longer recommend this school. I wish I had my wits about me (detention for a first grader? really???) at the time. This, along with lack of communication among parents, teachers, staff and administration has led us to withdraw.

Posted April 02, 2010

Meredith William M School 2

Posted March 25, 2010
Racial profiling is a given at Meredith. All the children sitting at the detention table are children of color. It is a rarity that you find non colored children in detention. If you have an active child of color prepare yourself for daily calls. I took my child out of Meredith, there are other fine schools in the area that focus just as much on academics and less on color.

Meredith William M School
725 South 5th St, Philadelphia, PA  19147
Last modified Meredith William M School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Meredith William M School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top