Philadelphia, PA

Henry Charles W School 4

Posted February 19, 2014
My two children attend Henry, our neighborhood school. We have been very fortunate to have wonderful teachers who go above and beyond the required curriculum to engage the students. While it's a challenge to be part of the PSD, there is a lot of parent involvement within the school and support from the neighborhood community. There are high expectations for the children attending Henry in terms of learning, behavior, and attendance which are easily attained with parental involvement. I did not give the highest ratings because there is always room for improvement.

Posted February 19, 2014
My daughter is in 2nd grade and has been at Henry since kindergarten. So far we have had nothing but good experiences. Her teachers have been great, and she has excelled in her reading, writing, and math skills. The music teacher is fabulous - kids and parents all love her. They also have art, computers, and Spanish in addition to gym and Playworks. The older grades have an instrumental music program too. We moved to West Mt. Airy specifically for this school, and it was a great decision!

Posted November 01, 2013
I feel very lucky to have Henry as our public school. Our son is having a great experience there, and we know that he's getting an excellent education. Our daughter was accepted into Masterman after attending Henry for five years.

Posted February 06, 2013
I strongly believe that CW henry is highly over rated. My child is in the kindergarden classroom and I do a better job teaching my child at home. Also there is a lack of communication with principle and employees in the main office tend to be very rude and unprofessional at times. School can also use help with maintenance.

Posted September 24, 2012
We love Henry! It's a huge leap of faith sending your kid to a Philly public school these days, so glad we did. My daughter is happy, her teachers are great and always available, the new principal is aggresively pushing academic standards higher, keeping the arts a big focus, raising the bar on safety and seems on the ball. Smartboards in the classroom, music, art, computers and gym every week (starting at K), band, musicals, after school clubs, field trips, G & T, Autistic Support and everything in between, organic garden that the students work in, rad programs like Playworks, tons of parent involvment and a super PTA, diversity in race, religion and types of families. Not saying all is perfect: the building is older, I'm sure we will go through a year with a teacher we don't like (everyone goes through this folks), and my fingers are double crossed that Principal Rogers kicks the PSSAs from good to the best (ie: Meredith). Though it is a top 10 feeder for Masterman! Go to a PTA or Knowing Henry meeting and take a school tour. That's what we did. It blows my mind that people will move out of the neighborhood or turn to private school rather than just tour this school.

Posted September 18, 2012
Henry WAS a good school and over the last 6 years or so, it has gone down. Many parents left discussed as well as teachers. The children are picked on by the staff, they staff is unprofessional. Its the shadow of the leader --- and she is gone. Hopefully under the new leadership it could raise again. I hope so for our children sake and our future adults.

Posted March 16, 2012
Horrible. I have a daughter in second grade and its been a complete waste of school year. As a responsible parent I understand that the teacher can not do all of the work. Parents must supplement and provide additional work to help your child stay ahead in class. However, with the teacher my daughter has we are doing all of the work(basically homeschooling). We have been in school almost a year and we have NEVER received a test result from the teacher. She received all A's on her report card but the teacher is unable to provide evidence of the grades. We've met with principal and teacher and we still obtain any communication from the teacher. Very unprofessional and sad situation. Just of the many kids that don't have parents providing extra work or in this case work period how behind and lost they will be in the up coming years of their education. Not sure about the other grade teachers but this particular second grade teacher and principal have not provided any form of communication. I do not recommend for second grade.

Henry Charles W School 4

Posted June 03, 2011
I have a son at Henry (as well as a daughter) and we've been very happy with how he's been treated and how behavior issues are handled. There was an incident early in the year involving my son and another boy fighting on the playground, and the teacher and principal handled the situation calmly, professionally, and to everyone's satisfaction (including both sets of parents). Additionally, we've been very pleased with the academics, creative offerings, staff, and parent involvement at the school.

Posted June 02, 2011
The majority of the good reviews on here are about someone with a daughter. Well, I have a son, and I think that the boys are treated differently because they do not act like girls. Boys play more and are more rambunctious. This is a predominately black school in a predominately white neighborhood. Most of the white people that live in that neighborhood send their kids to private school. All of my son's teachers are white. I say all of this to mean that the culture between the teachers and the students is much different. Because of that cultural difference most of the teachers do not have good class management. If a student sticks out to them that child is labeled as a bad student or a student in crisis. The teaching skills are antiquated because most of the teachers have been there for many years and rely on old tricks instead of trying new things that might interest today's students. Overall if your child is a follower and will listen every time an instruction is given your child could be successful at here. On the other hand if your child is a leader or follows the beat of his own drum you may want to invest in private school.

Posted March 19, 2011
C.W.Henry is a school where teachers, administration and the community work together to help students achieve. My sons are learning and enjoying their experiences at Henry.

Henry Charles W School
601 Carpenter Ln, Philadelphia, PA  19119
Last modified Henry Charles W School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Henry Charles W School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top