Philadelphia, PA

Posted November 23, 2014
Above average, I love the teachers in this school, they are excellent and really care about their students.

Posted August 27, 2014
Jenks is what a great public school should be. There is a core of great teachers with a very dedicated principle working to make the absolute best out of the difficult situation that is a fact of life for Philadelphia public schools. There is a strong group of dedicated parents who also work hard to help.

Posted August 27, 2014
Jenks is an amazing public school that continues to thrive in the face of ridiculous challenges. It is a real community, filled with dedicated teachers, a principal with real vision, and terrific parents who are deeply invested in public education. My daughter is entering the second grade, and adores the school. She has learned far more in her two years at this urban school than the children of many of my friends attending affluent suburban schools. I'd also like to note that my daughter comes from a two-mom family. She has never experienced the slightest amount of bullying or differential treatment, and my partner and I feel completely comfortable and welcomed at the school.

Posted August 27, 2014
The community and staff at Jenks is top notch. The teachers and school support staff are doing amazing work with a bare bones budget, through their dedication, the support of the Friends of Jenks organization, and great HSA/parents. Everyone I have net or interacted with has been lovely and checked-in. My daughter has made close friends and they are all nearby, a great benefit of a neighborhood school! She enjoys art, music, gym, the vegetable gardens, the playground, and a strong STEAM and math/reading curriculum which is continuing to grow every year. The only way to keep things growing and improving is through committed families joining us! Hope to see you at a kindergarten tea or event this year :)

Posted August 27, 2014
The JS Jenks is a great school and my son and I love it. He has been attending Jenks since first grade and has been exposed to many awesome opportunities. There is so much to do at Jenks, from building a community garden, attending NASA Space Academy in the summer, musical productions, health and wellness club, chess club, First in Math holiday bash, sports such as fencing and track & field, just to name a few. Jenks makes learning fun. I attended an open house at a private school for 9th grade admission. Although a great school, it did not offer many of the social activities that Jenks does. I believe my son has received an excellent education at this school and he continues to advance in math and science, two of his favorite subjects. Attending Jenks will allow him to do the things he loves, while learning in a nuturing environment. Mrs. Lynskey and her staff are amazing. Come check out our science lab, garden and new state of the art library and computer lab for yourself. @ProudToBeAJSjenksFamily!.

Posted August 27, 2014
Jenks has been such am amazing and wonderful school for our daughter. She is now going into 2nd grade and started there in kindergarten. Many of our friends send their children to private schools. We have found that the education she receives at Jenks and the opportunities she has there are just as good if not better than some of the private schools. There is definitely a myth in this city that there are no good public schools. Jenks is not just a good public school, it is a great school- period! Our daughter adores her teachers and the principal really deeply cares about this school. The parent community is very involved and we are proud to be part of it!

Posted August 27, 2014
My kids have been at this school since Kindergarten and are approaching middle school. The experience has been very good. It is struggling like many other Philly schools in terms of teacher and staffing issues, but it is made up by strong parental support. Much money has been raised to ensure teachers have supplies and money is available to help students with opportunities such as attending Space Camp. The kids can't expect a much better education from a Philly public or charter school.

Posted August 26, 2014
Jenks Academy for the Arts and Sciences is an amazing environment to learn. All teachers are highly qualified and the staff participates in many off school hours and community events. My son loved spending the year with two great teachers in the new fifth grade STEM lab. He loved all the animals in the room, lizards, turtles, fish, snakes and the rabbit (S'mores) who runs freely throughout the room. His favorite part was going on the exploration field trips and the lesson with the live crayfish!

Jenks John S School 3

Posted June 30, 2014
I have had a wonderful experience with the Kindergarten and 1st grade teachers. They were passionate about the children and great educators! However, this school is apart of the ever declining Phila. School District and unfortunately does not have enough resources to continue the great experience throughout the upper school (grades 3-8). The principal is also very rude and disconnected from the student body. She has no desire to communicate with concerned parents as she will simply refer you to call the school district. No one from Phila. School District will EVER return a parent's phone call as they simply just DO NOT care. This was the best elementary school left in this district and it is very sad to see it go so far down hill. I have transferred my now 2nd grader to a private school.

Posted July 16, 2013
My son just finished his first year at Jenks and will enter third grade in the fall. He was previously in a suburban school and actually had a better experience last year at Jenks. His teacher was wonderful as is the principal. My son is academically advanced and his teacher was able to keep him interested in class (he had issues with boredom in his previous school). My son has often been the target of bullies, being short for his age and smart, and he experienced less bullying this year than he had in the suburbs. In addition,many of the parents are very involved and supportive of the school.

Jenks John S School
8301 Germantown Ave, Philadelphia, PA  19118
Last modified Jenks John S School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Jenks John S School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top