Posted October 27, 2013
I am the same parent who submitted a review on June 2, 2009, and my opinion of Dobson has not changed at all. I love Dobson! My kids are now in 4th and 8th grade and they come home from school happy everyday and that means the world to me. The staff really cares about the development and academic growth of each child. Still the Best Kept Secret!!!

Posted October 24, 2013
Dobson truly is a gem. Small and friendly with an extremely involved home and school association. I was concerned about sending my child to public school with all of the cut backs and issues going on with the district, but Dobson has by far exceeded my expectations and my child is thriving there. This is a high quality school that almost seems to fly under the radar, but is in my view comparable to Meredith, Penn Alexander, etc. This is what a small neighborhood public school is all about. Keep up the good work!

Posted August 25, 2013
The school exceeding my expectations. My daughter was transferred to school from charter school. The employees really cares about the students and there is parent involvement that matters.

Dobson James School 0

Posted May 11, 2010
Dobson is a great public school. I think the staff really want to see each child succeed. As a parent with 3 children attending Dobson, I can honestly say that each teacher has managed to have a handle on where each child is academically, what assitance they might need & how to get & keep them motivated to strive for their very best. I would really like to see the curriculum include foreign language classes in the very near future. That is one area that the children could really benefit from, that's not currently addressed in the curriculum.

Dobson James School 0

Posted September 08, 2009
Im currently a student at Dobson,and I love being there!People aren't sure about sending their children to a public school,but picky parents,Dobson is the best exception.We've made AYP every year since 2002.We are the #1 elementary in the west region.The teachers are friendly,polite,and I promise you that your child's level of knowledge will grow quickly,and you'll be surprised.I've seen children in my class come to Dobson having no clue what the teachers were talking about.I've seen another student who began the year with an average score in math of 38%.This past summer,I passed out one of his tests with a 98% on it.And Dobson also has classes for Learning Support and Autistic Support.At Dobson you begin to bond with the other students,and pretty soon,usually in the month of November,Dobson is like your second family.Pick Dobson,become part of our family! 7th grade student

Posted May 20, 2009
No human is perfect therefore no school can be perfect. My child attends school there. Yes Dobson has its good points, hence the 4 star rating, but if your child gets one 'strike' be prepared to be branded for the rest of your time at Dobson, although they say its not on the permanent record.

Posted October 01, 2008
My son is new at this school, but I love it already. The teachers are very intuned to his needs as well as other staff members in the school. They seem very supportive and the additional help they offer is wonderful. I am grateful to have a child at this school

Posted October 02, 2007
This school is a gem. Children are focused on learning at Dobson. The principal and teachers support the arts (e.g., theatre, music) and recreation. Individual needs and diversity are recognized. The building interior is immaculate, bright and cheery. I have paid for private schools and gotten less. --Cynthia, Parent of First Grader

Posted July 17, 2007
Exceptional parental participation, teachers who appear to take responsibility for presenting information in such a manner that children with different styles of learning can be successful, a principal who visibly supports the students, parents and teachers by sharing herself (being involved) are a few of what makes Dobson a 'Great School'. The teachers who take on the additional responsibility of providing extra curricular activities (sports, music, theater, art programs) are very much a part of the equation, that realizes not all learning is theoretical. Lastly, I must re-state Dobson parents are accountable, they appear to know their partnership with the school is vital to it's success.

Posted June 05, 2007

Dobson James School
4667 Umbria St, Philadelphia, PA  19127
Last modified Dobson James School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dobson James School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top