Philadelphia, PA

Posted June 10, 2015
Let me preface this by saying this does not apply to individuals, but in general the school is terrible. Some of the teachers and staff there are wonderful. From day one I have had issues with the administration. The policies and administration are terrible. My son was put in the wrong class and I was never notified about it. He was placed in the special needs class when his IEP stated he could attend a regular class. Special needs started a week earlier and no one even called to find out why he wasn't there for a whole week. I only found out because when I brought him in on the first day he wasn't assigned to a classroom. Paperwork frequently gets lost between the teachers and office staff. They fail to notify parents of half days, days off, etc. There was supposedly a handbook given out in the beginning of the year with these dates, but not one single parent I know received one and I talk to a lot of people there while waiting for them to open the doors, which they do late almost daily. Even parents with multiple children in the school didn't get a handbook. You would figure a woman with 3 kids would have gotten at least one, but she did not. Kids don't even get real workbooks. They get photocopies of workbooks with missing or cut off pages. They claim to have zero tolerance for bullying, but they do nothing when you complain about it. My son has been picked on by his classmates, but no one does a thing about it. When my son's teacher has complaints about him (mostly due to his diagnosis) she exaggerates the issue on paper, but minimizes any problem or explains it differently to me when I discuss the issue with her. It is as if she wants him to look bad on paper. Kindergarten gets the shaft. They can't enter the school until 8:15 and they HAVE to eat breakfast or they can't come in. So if it's raining, snowing, or freezing cold, the youngest kids are stuck waiting outside in the elements. They often don't open the doors on time and they are quick to close the doors. So if you're a minute or two late, you're stuck waiting again. Kindergarten doesn't get to take the bus, either. In the winter when the heat is on, the air smells like a bunch of towels that were left in the washer for months. I had a hard time breathing while waiting in the auditorium to chaperon on a field trip. That can't be good for the kids to be breathing in on a regular basis.

Posted January 27, 2015
The administration is not profissenal at all they are very disrespectful to color students and parents And teachers are very low quality

Holme Thomas School 2

Posted November 06, 2010
I have two children that attend Thomas Holme and the experience has not been good for our family. The leadership is ineffective and rarely pro-active. They lack parental involvement because the school is not willing to work parents' schedules. They do not seem to realize that most parents work during the day. There is a general feeling that parents are kept out of the process and I do not like that. I though it was a good school when we moved to this community, but it is not. I think it goes back to the leadership. The principal and ombudsman are ineffective. They seem to be behind in their planning every year and only react when there are issues. Holme has some great teachers and parents, but they are not the ones taking ownership so they children suffer. Bottom line they need new leadership.

Holme Thomas School 4

Posted July 16, 2010
I have two children at Thomas Holmes and I have to say that the teachers are wonderful; they are always available and show interest in helping our children. My children have made great improvement in all of their grades thanks to the teachers and our involvement. The school had "one hundred book challenges" it was a good program that motivated children towards a goal and improved their reading skills. It has many other activities that enhance the child s academic learning and builds on each individual skill. I can't say the same for the past principal (they come and go) no returned calls and was not a people person, I thought he was rude. As for discipline many parents complain about the discipline but that goes back to the parent of that child, my experience is that when I complained about another child s discipline action was taken to resolve the issue.

Posted August 19, 2009
I taught at Holme for one year and dreaded every day of it. The principal was not supportive of her staff. The students were disrespectful and impossible to teach. Most students were below proficient and it was very difficult to teach due to the large class size.

Holme Thomas School 5

Posted January 18, 2008
i went here from pre-k till 5th grade. i got straight A's and the teachers are fantastic! i recomend this school for all children between the grades pre-k and 5th. It has helped me in so many ways. and i actually learned alot. the teachers are helpful and i never failed a thing. straight A's, a high B if that.

Holme Thomas School 3

Posted November 03, 2007
I went to Thomas Holme for 6 years.they used to have great teachers.I got straight A's when I went there.Last year I graduated from there.they had great 6th grade teachers.

Holme Thomas School 2

Posted July 11, 2007
This school used to be very good. It is in a great location and kids from all over wanted to come here but it has gone down terribly. theres a huge discipline problem here and the staff does not know how to handle it. I had 3 kids that went here and have since moved on and done very well, I think it was because of the great teachers they had there but I don't think they get much support and what can you do when you have a small group of unruly students causing a distraction. Every teacher that my daughters had here were amazing and they try really hard to be positive images for the kids. Those teachers are truly gifted and it shows.

Posted February 15, 2007
I like this school! I do believe that a child should have a quality education.We need more qualified teachers. We need more parents involvement.We need to put our focus on the behavior issues, so we can have better constructive classrooms.

Holme Thomas School 3

Posted June 05, 2006
Thomas Holme is an average school. That is the reason why I am transfering my son to a more challenging atmosphere. There are too many children(about 30) to just one teacher. Does not allow for many one on one with the kids.

Holme Thomas School
9120 Academy Rd, Philadelphia, PA  19114
Last modified Holme Thomas School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Holme Thomas School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top