Philadelphia, PA

Powel Samuel School 3

Posted June 16, 2014
I have had two children go through Powel and I will only rate it ok. My son who is moving on this 2014 year has done ok. I believe the teachers do the best they can with the large class sizes, but if your child needs a little more attention it is not there for them. Also, not all teachers fit your child personality, though I feel it is every necessary the they should when being an educator, they need to be able understand and deal with each child differently. unfortunately not every child can do there best when being screamed at, but only a few teachers at Powel are understanding to this.

Powel Samuel School 3

Posted February 11, 2014
A few years ago, I would have given this school 5 stars. The principle they have now is dreadful and has made me completely regret sending my son to school there. The office staff is AMAZING! The teachers (all but maybe 2) are AMAZING. This is my 3rd child through Powel and I've worked with all the current teachers. What keeps Powel going is the parent involvement. Its the best I've ever seen. None of my friends with kids can believe how much effort parents put in, if it were not for the parents, this school would completely fail. Big thanks to all the parents who are always there, fighting for the wel being of this school!

Posted September 19, 2011
My children have been at Powel since 2009 and I love it! Even we moved to the Frankford section of the city. We had the opportunity to change schools, but decided that the commute was worth it. They have had a new principal since last school year and she makes it a point to invest in every student there. The teachers are the reason I couldn't send my children anywhere else.

Posted June 09, 2010
My daughter graduated from Powel in 2004. I feel she got a top notch education there. She went on to Gamp, others went to Masterman and Carver. In 2004 the curriculum changed for Philadelphia public school students and that has a lot to do with children struggling in reading and math.

Posted May 26, 2010
I have two children at Powel. The teachers are deeply invested in the school and extremely attentive. I have always felt welcome in the classroom and appreciate the effort that individual staff members make to supplement the curriculum with field trips, visiting artists, and additional materials.

Posted May 26, 2010
My daughter has attended Powel for 3+ years now and is thriving. We feel that she is stimulated, safe, and has access to many activities such as instrumental music, class trips to local museums and events, and diverse clubs at Powel. Parents, teachers, and the principal work together and are deeply invested in the school's success.

Powel Samuel School 2

Posted May 25, 2010
I am a parent of a first grader, I must say I have become very disappointed in the school. The teachers are not parent friendly, on an average you are treat as an outcast. What I find ironic that the parents are involved and the teachers are distant. The curriculum is being taught to the children without phonics. Some children gets it and sme don't. If your child doesn't get it they are left behind. The intervention that they have is not helpful. The college students do not come on a regular basis for tutoring so it is not helpful. When a teacher is absent for a period of time, there are too many subustitutes, expecially at this age, children need consistency. I am definitely looking into Catholic School.

Powel Samuel School 0

Posted October 03, 2009
Powel has a diverse students body, all of whom are offered a high quality education that will give them the opportunity to be admitted into any of the academically competitive high schools in the city.

Posted February 21, 2008
My daughter attends this small public school and loves it. The teachers are great as is the curriculum. There is a lot of parent and community involvement. The school always meets AYP and takes kids from outside the catchment area.

Posted September 27, 2007
This is my sons second year at Powell, he started in kindergarten and now 1st. I can say that the teachers are attentive, the staff friendly, and the school overall has that small school effect where everyone can virtually know everyone if you take your time to say hello. There could be more extracurricular activities though.

Powel Samuel School
301 North 36th St, Philadelphia, PA  19104
Last modified Powel Samuel School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Powel Samuel School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top