Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Posted May 24, 2016
Powell is under great leadership with Principle Ellerbee, providing a friendly and safe environment for the children to learn. Principle Ellerbee and the Powell staff are friendly and supportive to the children.

Powel Samuel School
Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 24, 2016
My husband and I are enjoying watching our daughter's growth under her amazing dedicated and caring teacher, "Teacher Carter". Her teaching techniques, encouragement and skills are helping to mold and develop our daughter for a great transition towards 1st grade. Thank you Teacher Carter for pouring so many great things into our daughter!!!

Powel Samuel School 4

Posted September 14, 2015
Powel has great staff and parents that are very supportive to learning. It is a Philly public school with limited resources, but as a small school it has a very supportive environment.

Powel Samuel School 3

Posted June 16, 2014
I have had two children go through Powel and I will only rate it ok. My son who is moving on this 2014 year has done ok. I believe the teachers do the best they can with the large class sizes, but if your child needs a little more attention it is not there for them. Also, not all teachers fit your child personality, though I feel it is every necessary the they should when being an educator, they need to be able understand and deal with each child differently. unfortunately not every child can do there best when being screamed at, but only a few teachers at Powel are understanding to this.

Powel Samuel School 3

Posted February 11, 2014
A few years ago, I would have given this school 5 stars. The principle they have now is dreadful and has made me completely regret sending my son to school there. The office staff is AMAZING! The teachers (all but maybe 2) are AMAZING. This is my 3rd child through Powel and I've worked with all the current teachers. What keeps Powel going is the parent involvement. Its the best I've ever seen. None of my friends with kids can believe how much effort parents put in, if it were not for the parents, this school would completely fail. Big thanks to all the parents who are always there, fighting for the wel being of this school!

Posted September 19, 2011
My children have been at Powel since 2009 and I love it! Even we moved to the Frankford section of the city. We had the opportunity to change schools, but decided that the commute was worth it. They have had a new principal since last school year and she makes it a point to invest in every student there. The teachers are the reason I couldn't send my children anywhere else.

Posted June 09, 2010
My daughter graduated from Powel in 2004. I feel she got a top notch education there. She went on to Gamp, others went to Masterman and Carver. In 2004 the curriculum changed for Philadelphia public school students and that has a lot to do with children struggling in reading and math.

Posted May 26, 2010
I have two children at Powel. The teachers are deeply invested in the school and extremely attentive. I have always felt welcome in the classroom and appreciate the effort that individual staff members make to supplement the curriculum with field trips, visiting artists, and additional materials.

Posted May 26, 2010
My daughter has attended Powel for 3+ years now and is thriving. We feel that she is stimulated, safe, and has access to many activities such as instrumental music, class trips to local museums and events, and diverse clubs at Powel. Parents, teachers, and the principal work together and are deeply invested in the school's success.

Powel Samuel School 2

Posted May 25, 2010
I am a parent of a first grader, I must say I have become very disappointed in the school. The teachers are not parent friendly, on an average you are treat as an outcast. What I find ironic that the parents are involved and the teachers are distant. The curriculum is being taught to the children without phonics. Some children gets it and sme don't. If your child doesn't get it they are left behind. The intervention that they have is not helpful. The college students do not come on a regular basis for tutoring so it is not helpful. When a teacher is absent for a period of time, there are too many subustitutes, expecially at this age, children need consistency. I am definitely looking into Catholic School.

Powel Samuel School
301 North 36th St, Philadelphia, PA  19104
Last modified Powel Samuel School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.