Philadelphia, PA
Students enrolled: 1,168

Posted February 13, 2015
I'm a highschooler at Masterman. I saw that some people were saying Masterman pressures its students too much so that it can keep a high reputation. That's simply not true. All kids need some pressure to stay focused. Contrary to popular belief Masterman does not just teach kids how to take standardized test. It teaches its students the general knowledge they need to do well in college. If your lazy, your not going to like Masterman. End of story.
2 people found this helpful

Masterman Julia R Secondary School 3

Posted December 11, 2014
Masterman is a really good school. I like it , it's really diverse, the teachers actually want you to succeed, there are many sports and the building I pretty big and there are many opportunities for you to get tutoring if you need it.There are different clubs like the debate team, Odyssey of the Mind (Robotics) and many others. Another thing is there you won't have to worry about kids fighting in the halls or random class disruptions due to mouthy students. Masterman is a really good school but I have been told that it's not for everyone.

Masterman Julia R Secondary School 4

Posted October 14, 2014
Masterman is an all together great school, but ITS FIFTH GRADE OR BUST. If you're not accepted to Masterman in grades 5 or 6 you most likely will not be accepted to the High School. Only 100 students are accepted into the high school each year and they most choose from the 200 8th graders here. Many advanced classes but unlike Central you cannot graduate with a Bachleor degree from Masterman. Middle school has a limited amount of clubs and most of the focus is on the high school but we're the best in PA for a reason! BTW PARENTS by sending your child here they will have completed Algebra 1 (1/3 of the eight graders complete Algebra 2, I was one of them) so that means they will have their Algebra 1 keystone out of the way and they will have also completed either Spanish 1 or French 1 (it's a lottery to see what language you have)

Posted August 08, 2014
It's the best high school in the state. You can research the stats anywhere. However, it's a magnet school for the district and very selective for entrance.

Posted April 17, 2014
I think Masterman is a wonderful school. Especially for the location, it goes to show kids can expell from any location. It starts at home with our children. The staff is on target, ready to give are children the best education possible. Pleasant and friendly invirourment , I would recommend this school to all my family and friends . Masterman my hat's go out to you, keep up the good work!!!!! A proud parent from West Philly. You make are neighborhood proud......

Masterman Julia R Secondary School 2

Posted March 16, 2014
I'm in 8th grade at Masterman and am not returning in the fall. While the school is full of Gifted kids the main thing you need is a strong work ethic and an immunity to stress. It is an extremly competitive enviroment and a lot of your classmates might frown upon you if you don't have the same grades as them. There is a lack of supplies and the building is falling apart. The workload is barely manageble and the students are often self-taught because we're "Masssterman kids" teachers can have higher expectations and feel like they don't have to work as hard because of that. Shining stars get the most attention and it can be very clique oriented. While I recieved a good education the overall of Masterman disapointed me and I am glad to not be attending the high school. Not saying you or you're child wouldn't enjoy but be prepared for more than challenging. You will pull all nighters to finish your projects and homework. Just be prepared.

Posted October 29, 2013
I am a parent of a former Masterman student. Masteman excels and deserves the recognition it receives.I saw in my son that he developed a good work ethic both in his schooling and personal life. I think Masterman had alot to do with it. He says all the time that he was fortunate to have went to such a great school.

Posted September 26, 2013
Masterman school is really for the exceptional child and the exceptional parent. The school is run by exceptional leadership staff and exceptional Teachers. Sorry for the redundancy of the word exceptional. lol

Posted September 08, 2013
Masterman has held the position of top school in Pennsylvania for several years for many reasons. The location affords a very balanced diversity, in all ways, and this creates a rich cultural and psychological environment for learning. Driven to challenge themselves with a demanding "consumer base" of students and families, the teachers bring energy, skill, talent and experience (in many ways) to their work. The students are eager, cooperative, positive and motivated, and they hold themselves and each other to high standards. I consider myself extremely lucky to have my children educated in this school, and like all of the parents at Masterman, I do whatever I can to support the school and contribute to its success.

Posted September 06, 2013
Masterman is a wonderful school and such a family oriented place. The love and support displayed for the teachers help the children not feel like just a number. My son was a bit nervous when he first got to Masterman but soon became well adjusted with so much positive energy in the air it was hard not to be infected by it. I love the staff, home & school association and my son loves the school as well!

Masterman Julia R Secondary School
1699 Spring Garden St, Philadelphia, PA  19130
Last modified Masterman Julia R Secondary School is a Public school that serves grades 5-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Masterman Julia R Secondary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 98 reviews. Top