Posted August 08, 2014
It's the best high school in the state. You can research the stats anywhere. However, it's a magnet school for the district and very selective for entrance.

Posted April 17, 2014
I think Masterman is a wonderful school. Especially for the location, it goes to show kids can expell from any location. It starts at home with our children. The staff is on target, ready to give are children the best education possible. Pleasant and friendly invirourment , I would recommend this school to all my family and friends . Masterman my hat's go out to you, keep up the good work!!!!! A proud parent from West Philly. You make are neighborhood proud......

Posted September 26, 2013
Masterman school is really for the exceptional child and the exceptional parent. The school is run by exceptional leadership staff and exceptional Teachers. Sorry for the redundancy of the word exceptional. lol

Posted September 08, 2013
Masterman has held the position of top school in Pennsylvania for several years for many reasons. The location affords a very balanced diversity, in all ways, and this creates a rich cultural and psychological environment for learning. Driven to challenge themselves with a demanding "consumer base" of students and families, the teachers bring energy, skill, talent and experience (in many ways) to their work. The students are eager, cooperative, positive and motivated, and they hold themselves and each other to high standards. I consider myself extremely lucky to have my children educated in this school, and like all of the parents at Masterman, I do whatever I can to support the school and contribute to its success.

Posted September 06, 2013
Masterman is a wonderful school and such a family oriented place. The love and support displayed for the teachers help the children not feel like just a number. My son was a bit nervous when he first got to Masterman but soon became well adjusted with so much positive energy in the air it was hard not to be infected by it. I love the staff, home & school association and my son loves the school as well!

Posted September 04, 2013
My son John attends Masterman Julia R Secondary School.As a parent I am so grateful that he is able to go to the top high school in the city of Philadelphia and the top high school in the state of PA. The teachers are dedicated. The principal leadership is amazing. The parent involvement is great. Right now our Philly schools are in such need of help. The students love their school and I know they would be grateful for any financial help they would receive. The building itself needs a little TLC and the classrooms need supplies. Please support our school. Thank you for your consideration.

Posted September 03, 2013
As a 2009 graduate, I can not thank Masterman enough for the education that it gave me. The community that rallies behind the school is bar none and the intelligence, integrity and long lasting commitment to education that echoes from its halls is inspiring and refreshing. Teachers do not exist at Masterman because they are so much more. They are mentors, educators, civil leaders, academics, role models and friends. They have a breadth of knowledge that is not found in most universities. They are always willing to help students and are continuously looking for new ways to engage their pupils. The quality of the student body is not found in any other school in the City of Philadelphia or for the sate for that matter. Students represent multiple races, ethnicities, and incomes. From the NE to South Philly, West Mt. Airy to University City, every area of the city becomes a part of the Masterman community. In layman's terms this is an AMAZING school.

Posted September 03, 2013
Great school in the heart of Philadelphia. Strong parent involvement and a great community of teachers.

Posted August 29, 2013
Excellence, hard work, diligence and drive, dedication to the community and to the tasks at hand -- these are the elements I see Masterman instilling into its kids. So proud and grateful to be part of this amazing community and special kudos to our Principal, Ms. Marjorie Neff, who has never waivered in her dedication and devotion to the school despite the incredibly difficult challenges she must meet each day.

Masterman Julia R Secondary School 4

Posted August 28, 2013
I started at fifth grade and now going into sixth. The food is great! There's warm fresh food like chicken, pizza and you can also make your own sandwiches or hoagies or tortillas. I enjoyed computers and music. They are the easiest of my opinion. You have to be prepared to get your hands tired from writing. There is alot of homework but what they teach will help you in your life. You will not regret going here. You will make new friends and have a great time. You play on the roof (no worries parents, is fenced so nobody gets hurt or falls). You can play foosball, basketball, ping pong, wall ball, jump rope, and there is a "Japanese Garden" for a quiet studying/ reading place. Wish everybody well!

Masterman Julia R Secondary School
1699 Spring Garden St, Philadelphia, PA  19130
Last modified Masterman Julia R Secondary School is a Public school that serves grades 5-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Masterman Julia R Secondary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 92 reviews.