Girls High School

Public | PK, 9-12

Posted July 11, 2005

I attend Girl's High and I think that it is an excellent place to get an education!
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 27, 2005

The School is very interactive. I don't think that it is much different from other area schools. As a former student, I will say that the sisterhood at this school is awesome, but academiccally and socially it is on the same level as many of the other area High Schools.

Posted September 15, 2004

As a recent graduate of the Philadelphia High School for Girls (248)(class of 2004) I can honestly say that this school has prepared me for college, as well as life. Values taught here are not taught anywhere else. If you are a prospective student/parent I highly encourage you to attend this school. The teachers and principle are very dedicated. Most of all your voice will be heard and your opinion does matter here. So take it from me, when you graduate and you tell people that you have graduated from Girls High you get respect from employers and college professors.

Posted September 13, 2004

Girls Hgih School isn't all that it is cracked up to be. They provide great opportunities for the students but are very disorganized. I think Girls High is above alot of schools but it would be a lie to say that they are competing with Masterman. The American History textbook that the 11th graders use is for the 8th graders at Masterman.
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 25, 2004

I am a former member of the class of 246. One of the best attributes that Girls High offers allowed myself to attend college for art. Ever year the school selects an art student with high grades in all fields, who plans on majoring in art (any field-design or fine arts) in college they receive the Louisa England scholarship that pays for all tuition and art supplies to the college of her choice. I am currently a junior at the Moore College of Art, and had I not been given this amazing award from school, I either would not have been able to afford Moore, or by now been at the very least $50,000 not including the art supplies (which can be extremely high). Girls High is also great for learning and allowing young women a chance to have a voice and speak up and demand respect and everyone's attention.

Posted April 18, 2004

I am a graduate of Girls High. I can only believe that any success I have had in life is because of my schooling at Girls High. The friends and memories you develop are for a lifetime. The education you recieve is beyond compare and the foundation of your future success in school and in life.

Posted February 19, 2004

I'm a graduate of Girls' High (238!) and can't imagine having attended any other school. I honestly do not believe that I would be the same person I am today without the excellent environment GHS provided for me. If you want your female child to succeed in an academic environment that is challenging, caring and character-building, look no further. College was a breeze for me, honestly, compared to high school because the faculty ensures that you're prepared to face real life.

Posted February 1, 2004

I am a graduate of Girls' High (Class of 2003, 247) and I am so proud to have been a Girls' High girl. Girls' High has definitely prepared me for college and as much as I complained about my course load while in high school, I appreciate it now that I am in college. I definitely recommend every young girl to attend Girls' High because she'll experience an experience that is like no other. I would not have gone to any other high school and I'm very proud to have attended such a wonderful high school.

Posted January 5, 2004

This is my daughter's freshman year at this school and to my surprise, she loves it. My daughter is not a person who surrounds herself with a lot of girls. She feels that girls are way too chatty. I love the Big Sister program that the school offers to the newcomers, which broke her out of her shell. She comfortable being in school and around many girls.

Posted November 22, 2003

I am a former graduate of Girl's High (240). The 'Intangible Spirit' of this school gives girls a chance to really blossom and become themselves. I should know. I was a quiet, shy little girl when I fist stepped into the halls of girls high and am now a woman capable of handling any problem life throws my way. I would not be who I am without Girls High. If I still lived in the area and had a daughter I would want her to go there.

Posted August 26, 2003

I'm not a parent, I'm a current student there at GHS (250!) and I think our school has great potential for sending us off to college, I mean look at our graduation rate...It's very high. I used to hate going to school everyday until I came here. At GHS you always feel welcomed and it's a very happy place to be.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2012.

254 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2012.

252 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 42% in 2012.

245 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2012.

250 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2011-2012 Pennsylvania used the Pennsylvania System of State Assessments (PSSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in math and reading, in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 11 in science. The results for reading, writing, science and math are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The PSSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Pennsylvania. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

Hispanic100%
White96%
Economically disadvantaged97%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 17% 3%

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1400 West Olney Ave