Posted August 28, 2014
As a parent of class 276, this school prepares you for college (and life in general). It reminds me of a college campus with a wonderful diverse culture. Class of 276, wish you the best and know you are in a good place.

Posted June 09, 2014
Beautiful...just - beautiful. It's a magnificent place that brings together the greatest minds and spirits of the young adult generation in a troubled city. A melting pot of people -very diverse- especially in a city like Philly where every STREET is liable to have a different culture, neighborhoods within neighborhoods. Much more to offer than a[ny] curriculum, the lifestyle and nature of the school is everything that is good with the world. It really prepares children for what is to come in life: the good, the bad, the beautiful. Not to mention that the curriculum and extracurricular activities actually are of the best kind - having won many championships, in all fields, and providing a variety of sports and clubs equal or better than that of most colleges. This is the best school and experience any person could as for. Sincerely, your proud alumni.. P.S. 270 !!!!

Posted October 15, 2013
I am a member of 273 and the diversity of the school never ceases to amaze me. Sure, as with any school you'll find your cliques, but Central has a way of inspiring unity through the unity of loads of homework and crazy teachers (both of the draconian variety and the wacky, family ones). The school budget cuts are now the Boogeyman but if you somehow find a way to last through it, it'll be worth it (maybe). Be prepared to make lifelong friends that you never thought you'd be friends with, a more open mind, and senioritis during freshman year.

Posted August 13, 2013
I am a member of the 258th graduating class, and I am proud to see that the school still has the highest rating on Great Schools. Central is and was a wonderful place to learn, grow and enjoy the changes that come with intellectual curiosity and social cohesion. I was well prepared for the demanding college I attended and for my career. Socially, I met so many people from different socioeconomic backgrounds, and to this day I have yet to find a community of more diverse, open-minded and accepting peers. Central will always have a special place in my heart and I will always support Central financially and otherwise.

Posted July 01, 2013
I am a member of the 274th class of central! i absolutely love it. I've met so many amazing people in my two years so far and I cant wait to meet even more in the years to come. Even though some of the teachers can be not so motivational, others put their heart and soul into teaching us and coming up with lesson plans that will make classroom time more exciting. I love how the central family is close knit and diverse and we all can get along with each other without many disagreements. Good luck to anyone applying and definitely keep central as an option!

Posted July 31, 2012
There is no way that anyone could ever sum up the experience of being a student of Central High School in 1200 characters or less. The simplest way to put it is that it is the closest thing to a utopia that one could find in the school district, the city, the state, and as far as I'm concerned, the world. (I suppose I'm a bit biased.) This school is truly one of a kind. I would never have expected to feel such love for all the things that most people would not think twice about once they've left, an institution, a student body, a faculty, a president. Dr. Pavel was an amazing president and we all have faith in his replacement to keep the school's reputation the way it is. Not to mention the teacher quality increased exponentially each year that I attended. Central is as close to perfect as one could hope, and if you have experience with the school and you disagree, you must be doing something wrong. Central is a difficult school, but it is worth every bit of work. SO MUCH LOVE! <3 271!

Posted March 09, 2012
Best and the brightest students. Wonderful education. Caring teachers. Productive Home and School Association. Amazing President, Dr. Pavel.

Posted November 06, 2011
I am a member of the 271st graduating class and I love Central dearly. The people are all amazing, the student and staff included. You won't find anywhere nearly as diverse and it introduces you to a new way of interacting with your peers. The work is hard, but it is Central, I don't know what else to expect. A was taught to expect a challenge and most teachers will provide one; whether they choose to help is a different story. If you're a student that needs constant attention and help this is not the place for you. There is tutoring of many different forms available to everyone however most teachers will not tutor, there are simply too many students to take out the extra time to review things that can be found in our textbooks or call 90 different parents to talk about grades. All in all, you won't find any better public school in Philadelphia.

Central High School 2

Posted July 23, 2011
as a parent of a student in 272, i must say i have been disappointed since day one. my child loves CHS, but the lack of competent teachers, blows my mind. i think no one in this school cares about any of the students, but this is Central. i know i'm not alone feeling this way...since most of the parents i know feel the same way too. hopefully, the next 2 years will go fast........

Posted May 13, 2011
I am a graduate of Central. 259th graduating class. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of the education I received at Central. Yes it was tough, no I did not get the grades that I had been getting in my middle school, but that was my own fault. For anyone who says that the teachers do not care than they probably didn't even try to talk with the teacher. I had a teacher who would not let me take the easy way out my senior year. He knew I could do the work and was not going to let me be lazy. My experience at Central helped me become the person I am today. The diverse population of the school allows for differences of all kinds. I had friends from all races and religions. Yes there is a strong focus on academics, but there is also support for clubs and sports. Central is a community. This school is not for the lazy or the closed-minded.

Central High School
1700 West Olney Ave, Philadelphia, PA  19141
Last modified Central High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Central High School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 107 reviews.