Bad
Good

I went to Central in my freshman (Class of 276). Going from a middle school of around 100 students altogether to Central size was a major jump, but it was fine. The academics were challenging but not impossible. Plus, the students in your class, for the most part, seemed to care. Unfortunately, the administration and staff weren't feeling the same. The first couple of weeks my records were switched with a kid with the same last name as me, and so my reputation was tarnished. After that was cleared up, the second month of school, I ended up falling down the steps at school being injured and having to be out of school while I healed. While I was out, I was supposed to receive assistance with my schoolwork but I received none. I returned to school with failing grades. In order to pass the grade, I had to skip lunches to take tests I missed and catch up on content. When I went to talk to the counselor with my mom, she told us that she hadnt known that I was even gone for the 3-4 months. Luckily, I ended up passing but I ended up leaving. Honestly, I do miss the school and I do wonder what it would've been like if I had stayed, but I know that I made the right decision in leaving.

I used to go to central I liked it a lot but I moved so I was a transferred to Roman catholic high school it not good as central it's average as central kids at roman can be really reckless sometime but after couple month or a year into roman they became people that roman expected , but the Diffrent between Roman and Central that Roman as a good school spirit but there are going to be fill argument time over time but they become friend and it'll prepare you for life not just education central is good for education and there more chance you make into a ivy college but I feel that roman is more like Home then central , central you go in you do your work and go home but Roman is like a brother hood

Amount of homework: Agree

a few teachers get overzealous with the work load, beware, and prioritize. If need be you can discuss specific grievances. Just be specific; and know the squeaky wheel gets the oil so be ready to hunt down whoever (could be multiple people) you need to speak to to address your problem, work load or otherwise.

No matter how bad I was doing I knew what my GPA was and had an idea of what's needed to raise it, doing what was needed was entirely up to me there's no hand holding and I loved it. You get what you put in, no more and no less. That's the most valuable lesson I've learned so far.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I adore Central High, I spent my first two years of highschool there then I had to move out of state to a supposedly better school system. However I'd gladly return. The large class sizes either force you to reach out to teachers or use your resources to better understand the material (both great skills to have). The academic competitiveness drove me to take on challenges I wouldn't choose otherwise. The freedom lets you come into your own faster, and the many electives and clubs let you test run possible career paths. This is the best highschool, despite whats going on all around the city Central stands as an exemplary school.

I absolutely love Central, I am a senior this year and leaving central is honestly the hardest thing I could do. Going to central was a game changer, I thought it was going to be just like middle school however I was wrong and got my first C there. That's when times changed and I knew I had to ask for help. The teachers there are PHENOMINAL & the facility works with you. The teachers and facility go above and beyond for the safety and wellbeing of their students. I've gotten accepted into several colleges, that I really wanted to go to and I wouldn't have been able to do it without my teachers, counselors and other support systems. For those of you considering sending your kids here, do it! Not only will it prepare them for college, but life also. LONG LIVE CHS, GO LANCERS, 274!!

As a teacher at Central, I'll say we have some of the most energetic, intelligent, caring young individuals I've ever encountered. The many supportive family, faculty, and staff members work together to keep Central strong, even when the politics of our big urban district are tough. I love this school!

As a parent of class 276, this school prepares you for college (and life in general). It reminds me of a college campus with a wonderful diverse culture. Class of 276, wish you the best and know you are in a good place.

Beautiful...just - beautiful. It's a magnificent place that brings together the greatest minds and spirits of the young adult generation in a troubled city. A melting pot of people -very diverse- especially in a city like Philly where every STREET is liable to have a different culture, neighborhoods within neighborhoods. Much more to offer than a[ny] curriculum, the lifestyle and nature of the school is everything that is good with the world. It really prepares children for what is to come in life: the good, the bad, the beautiful. Not to mention that the curriculum and extracurricular activities actually are of the best kind - having won many championships, in all fields, and providing a variety of sports and clubs equal or better than that of most colleges. This is the best school and experience any person could as for. Sincerely, your proud alumni.. P.S. 270 !!!!

I am a member of 273 and the diversity of the school never ceases to amaze me. Sure, as with any school you'll find your cliques, but Central has a way of inspiring unity through the unity of loads of homework and crazy teachers (both of the draconian variety and the wacky, family ones). The school budget cuts are now the Boogeyman but if you somehow find a way to last through it, it'll be worth it (maybe). Be prepared to make lifelong friends that you never thought you'd be friends with, a more open mind, and senioritis during freshman year.

Last modified Central High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.