Northeast High School

Public | 9-12

Posted September 11, 2007

It's easy to blame the school for the failure of the student. NEHS is a wonderful school for anyone willing to learn. Granted outside of Magnet and IB the school is cayotic, but overall it's a wonderful experiance.

Posted June 24, 2007

I was a former student at NEHS when it used to be a decent school two decades ago. My daughter spent the past almost 2 years at NEHS also, but things got so bad there we had to pull her out and move. This school is a complete and total mess. It is not the teachers' fault either, it is the students who don't give a woo woo about anything! The magnet school is to its credit, excellent. If your child is not in magnet then heaven help him/her is all I can say. At least my daughter was in magnet so she escaped most of the horrors of the regular classes. I cannot blame the school entirely because its not their fault. Most parents just simply do not care! The entire district is in a complete state of what I fear is irreparable discombobulation!

Posted March 19, 2007

Hi. My son is in his 3rd year of NE High, in the magnet program. I went to public school and always knew that you, as a student, got out of it what you wanted or needed. It was entirely up to you. I really like the diversity found in the school. I love the magnet program. In any school, you'll find kids who don't want to be there. In any school, you'll find teachers and/or students you or child don't like. When there are things you strongly disagree with, you let your voice be heard. I have experienced teachers there who really want to teach and enjoy the kids and visa versa. Overall, I think NE strives to go higher and I give them a thumbs up!

Posted March 12, 2007

I'm very disappointed in Northeast High. I've always heard it was a good school but I haven't seen in what area yet. My children haven't had a Math teacher (only substitute) since school started. The teacher's my children do have don't have any interest in teaching and most disappointing is there disciplinary actions. There no tolerance rule is based on what they deem tolerable. There practices are not fair and I am thorough disgusted with the whole school. There form of help has not been of any help to me or my children. They are too strict on minimal discretion and on the major acts they are extreme. They do not have a balance to anything that goes on at that school. How do they expect a student to excel under those conditions? Life is hard enough and they don't make it any easier.

Posted January 28, 2007

I have one word for Northeast High School, a JUNGLE. I am currently in my second year at NEHS and I just have to say that thank god this is my last year here. The magnet program is pretty good, but the other programs aren't. One good thing about NEHS is that it has some pretty good extracurricular activities. The magnet program prepares you for college and it's challenging. I'm in the magent program and I know that the regular classes and students are just unacceptable. Everyday I see students running around the hallways, fights, and just overall bad behavior. Some of these students are in need of some extreme discipline. NEHS is just going downhill by the day. The hallways are overcrowded and it's just ridiculous. There is way too many students here and something needs to be done to fix this school.

Posted December 27, 2006

I just graduated from Mechs this June and I have to say that its very noticeable how this school is going downhill. in my years at nehs, I saw how the discipline and expectation went from an 8 or a 9 to a 5 or a 6. There's many great professors, but unless you're a student in the magnet or IB program, this school is not going to prepare you for college. I was in the top 25 best ranked students of the class of '06, not in the magnet nor IB program, but with an average of course higher than 95. Now in college I see the gaps that influence my success in college. I wouldn't recommend NEHS to people who expect successful college years. Thank you

Posted October 25, 2006

I graduated from Northeast in 2006, and now am a student at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. I was in Northeast's magnet program, and I found that the I learned a lot in and out of the classroom. I had a great experience at Northeast. The school offers great diversity, tons of extracurricular activities, and a very caring teachers. Also, the music and sports programs there are excellent. In terms of academics, the school offers many advanced classes for students wanting to challenge themselves. I have to say that Northeast is by far the best comprehensive high school in the city of Philadelphia. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted June 20, 2006

I attend Northeast's Magnet program and I enjoy it for it's academic challenges and for it's environment. They stop treating you like a child and put responsibility on your shoulders. For the first time in my school career, I found school somewhat challenging and interesting. There are many, many sports and clubs to attend and they recieve excellent support from the school. Parental involvement is limited. Like I said, they prefer to put the responsibility on the kid's back, and if they fail, they will notify their parents.

Posted June 10, 2006

Outside of the Magnet program the school really fails. The teachers are pretty good, many of them care for the students and try very hard. The outgoing principal was okay; a good speaker but didn't seem to really care about what was going on. The incoming principal is very good, she is caring and talks well. However, two of her three assistant principals are rude and unhelpful. The parents seem to be involved. The art and music programs are pretty good. There are many sports teams and plenty of activities.

Posted April 9, 2006

If your child is not in the magnet school, expect the worst. This used to be a great school but just like the entire Philly school system, it has gone way downhill.

Posted March 22, 2006

My son is only 4 yrs old but attends the Child Development Lab at Northeast High School & he absolutely loves this school & the students & teachers. Sadly this is his last year there but I have to mention the outstanding job the teachers have done. My hat goes off to Northeast High for being the only school left that offers this program which not only helps the little ones grow & learn but also teaches the seniors an invaluable lesson in Childcare. Mrs. Decker & Ms. Laura....you are the best! 'We' will miss you!

Posted January 28, 2006

Great is an understatement I realize yet it is diverse classes for all type of students. at sports the rivalry between central high makes everybody enthusiastic get into the fun. students of a year are put with a specific staff who will attend to their needs whether it be personal or private, parents are always welcome into the school for a chat with the staff about the academics of their children. the magnet wing is the best they let the students try various types of work to make them think. personally it is a great school with great staff at your service for your childrens future.

Posted January 10, 2006

I am actually not a parent, but A former student ( class of 1999). I went to Northeast and was enrolled in the Liberal Arts Program. I was one of the best experiences I'v ever had in my life. I got a first-class education, great teachers and wonderful activities to choose from. It is also the school of very successful people. Thanks to Northeast I'm in my final year at Harvard law, was magna cum laude at Northeast and at the top 10% at Duke University. Northeast is a great school send yur child there.

Posted August 5, 2005

The only way to describe this school is a jungle. Many of the kids are totally out of control, and the teachers simply don't care. The school would be great if they could only gain some control. They have a lot to offer in the way of solid academics, sports and extracurricular activities, but unfortunately they are too busy playing policeman. Get rid of the trouble makers for good, and maybe this school would come out on top.

Posted April 29, 2005

NEHS has alot of activites. This school has alot to offer, and NEHS is a fun place to go to school.

Posted February 22, 2005

I am a senior in Northeast High School. I have went to this school for the last four years of my life. I have to say I love this school, and love what is has taught me. It has given me more than an education, it has taught me culture & diversity. I have learned alot from this school educationally and culturally with the amount of diverse cultures in this school. This school is also very safe, I have rarely seen any fights occur in this school. This school allows the student to decide how hard he wants to learn, if he wants rigerous courses then he can have rigorous courses, and if he doesnt hes still going to get the same level education with a better pace and understanding. I love this school, the education, my four years, & the great friends. I highly recommend this school to any parent.

Posted January 13, 2005

I graduated from NEHS several years ago. At that time I recevied a very well rounded education which allowed me to complete both college and graduate school. Several of my friends children attend the school at this time and they are receiving the same, if not better, quality of education that I had.

Posted July 30, 2004

This school is a nice school. The work is a little harder and this school has great activites for the kids. Yes every school have bad kids an what not but this school is a lerning place and it will take you far. The teachers are ok some are rude and others are kind. I will recomend this school if your willing to wrok and not walk the halls. This school is nice.

Posted April 20, 2004

northeast high school is very racist! the teachers give no homework and some of them are very unprofessional. I do not recommend this school to anyone

Posted February 22, 2004

I go to NEHS and I really love this school. I am in the magnet program and even though it's alot of work, it's worth it because I know I am getting a good education.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2012.

664 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2012.

665 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 42% in 2012.

433 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2012.

606 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2011-2012 Pennsylvania used the Pennsylvania System of State Assessments (PSSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in math and reading, in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 11 in science. The results for reading, writing, science and math are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The PSSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Pennsylvania. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

Economically disadvantaged68%
Students with disabilities (IEP)23%
English language learners39%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 23% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Dance teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

Music
  • Instrumental music lessons

Health & athletics

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Cafeteria

Arts & music

Music
  • Instrumental music lessons
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1601 Cottman Ave