Greenberg Joseph School

Public | K-8 | 683 students

Posted October 21, 2014

I have two children at Greenberg -- a 5th grader and a 3rd grader. I can honestly say - that while I still have issues about snack sales at lunch and the lack of free-play recess during the day - my children are strong students and have had really wonderful teachers during their time at Greeneberg. There is definitely a committment to the arts and arts educaton. The music and art teachers are fantastic. The parent coordinator is a real gem. Parent volunteerism has increased and parents can be involved, but you have to create or seek out the opportunities and get involved. It would be nice if Home and School meetings had better attendance and if there were more volunteers at HSA events. But, most importantly, my kids really like going to school and that's the real measure. Greenberg is a safe and nurturing school, and I recommend it very highly.

Posted October 12, 2014

This is an amazing school and it is primarily children that come from parents who are professionals. And that is what makes a difference at Greenberg. It has a majority career oriented and educated parents so they understand the importance of education for their children. Greenberg is a wonderful school in a Pine Valley neighborhood. There is a real sense of community at this school, which has very high academic achievment, ranking it at the top of Philadelphia elementary and middle schools. I attended this school in its early days and am proud to have my son attend now. My son started attending kindergarten this year and thus far my wife and I have been very impressed by the teachers and the exceptional parent involvement and support for the school.

Posted October 5, 2014

Joseph Greenberg is an excellent school and it is a great feeder to the magnet High Schools e.g. Central, Masterman, etc. The teachers seem very caring and involved in teaching the students. I feel any child that goes to this school will get a quality education, as well as a diverse exposure to many different ethnic backgrounds. Every time I have tried to communicate with the teachers they have been receptive to my comments and welcome my involvement. My son graduated from Greenberg and Masterman, and got accepted to Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Joseph Greenberg was a great MS to help him get accepted. My eldest daughter is currently in 5th grade, and she loves the school. I highly recommend this school and plan to send my youngest daughter here.

Posted January 26, 2014

I'm a proud parent of three children who attend Greenberg! What a great, positive experience my children are having at such a wonderful educational institution - they love the school. The administration and staff make this school an academic paradise. This school is very academic oriented and encourage my children to be their absolute best. Great teachers (bad ones don't last long) and high standards. Middle School is academically excellent.

Posted October 28, 2013

This school is unlike your regular public school. My son, who attends Greenberg, is currently in first grade, and barely made it out of kindergarten. He is so stressed out by the work load of homework they give him, and the frequent testing that is almost everyday. I feel as though I am homeschooling my child, because It takes us 3 hours a day to do his homework, which is about 6-7 pages a day. Not your average homework for a first grader.

Posted June 22, 2013

Excellent school for children in the gifted program. In fact, it's the all-day gifted program that gives this school it's high test scores. A decent school for non-gifted/average children, however, this is one of the worst schools for your child to attend if he/she has any type of learning disability, even a mild learning disability, or even just struggles in a subject area.

Posted October 15, 2012

Greenberg has really helped my daughter achieve academically and improve her social skills. This is her 3rd year here and we have no complains. The teachers have been great! Unfortunately, it did not go well with my son .he has ADHD and Greenberg does not have the resources to help him, so we had to send him to a different school that did. It s a shame he can t attend his home school. We are really sad about that.

Posted October 12, 2012

This school is great for helping your child reach their academic goals. The children receive various awards for all of their accomplishments and improvements. This school has a great computer and science programs, and great free after school club programs. Their is about 50% of parent involvement in this school which I believe contributes to a safe environment. There is room for improvement in the library,music, and art programs. Overall this is a wonderful school. I give thanks to all the teachers and staff for their continued efforts of excellence with the students of Greenberg.

Posted September 12, 2012

I graduated from Greenberg in 2011. I currently attend Archbishop Ryan High School. It is in my opinion the best elementary school throughout the Philadelphia area. The teachers care about the students, and have high expectations for them. Academically, the school is an excellent place for any child. Greenberg not only helped me academically but it helped me in areas such as socially and emotionally. The school has an excellent Mentally Gifted program for high achieving students, and the teachers and staff are great. I couldn't be happier.

Posted September 9, 2012

My son has attended this school for seven years. I have had opportunity to meet the majority of the staff and can honestly say I have not met one teacher who did not exude the utmost enthusiasm and authentic concern for their student's education. The principal is concerned with students and not PSSA scores. I feel everyone genuinely cares about my child. I highly recommend this school. I will truly miss this school once my son moves on to High School.

Posted March 16, 2012

The negative review two posts below is obviously completely and utterly biased against Greenberg. Greenberg is a wonderful school with a warm and welcoming community. I am a recent graduate who is attending Penn Charter, in Philadelphia. I was constantly challenged at Greenberg to do my best while still having fun. Greenberg taught me the skills necessary to balance all my interests including sports, community service, work, and friends, along with academics.

Posted February 26, 2012

There is good parent involvement and the school's location is great. I have a huge concern that the needs of special education students are not being met. If you have a special needs child you may want to consider other schools in Philadelphia.

Posted February 23, 2012

Compared to many of the schools I've come into contact with, Joseph Greenberg school, is one of the best. That is why we chose to move up to Pine Valley, so that our children could benefit and experience all that the school and its teachers have to offer. My children are doing very well and we are very content and comfortable with the decision we made.

Posted January 24, 2012

We were previously sending our children to a private Catholic school in Philadelphia, but were unhappy with the facilities, faculty, and overall program despite the tuition levels. Our children were not developing academically and socially as hoped. Since bringing our children to Greenberg School, they have thrived at all levels, quickly developing friendships, receiving tremendous support from all of the faculty and are much happier.

Posted January 21, 2012

I have been very impressed with Greenberg and what it has done for my grandson, niece and nephew and many other local children. I feel it has a great family atmosphere and encurages family involvement. The success of this school is really a testament to the excellent teachers and administrators who have kept the school on course. The school has a great music program they put on a wonderful concert every year! Everyone is so kind and helpful! It's a fun and safe school and I just love it!

Posted January 2, 2012

My children have been going to this school since the oldest was in first grade, he is now in 8th, and it is an amazing school. Is it perfect? No, but then again, what school is? My 6th and 8th grader are learning more advanced Science and Math than their high school aged cousins! This school is as good as it gets for our area. If you want to sit back and enjoy the ride think again about enrolling your kids here.

Posted December 27, 2011

The school is great! Sound basics. Solid discipline. Strong communication. Being a military family, our kids have gone to a couple of different elementary schools. The school offers music, art, PE, computer and science labs as part of the curriculum. My 4th grader just attended an Honor Roll Award Ceremony at the school. The teachers send home progress reports as a way of communicating about your child's progress. The best part of the school is the Instrumental Music/Orchestra/Band program. It gets my children excited about attending school every day.

Posted December 26, 2011

Greenberg School is a typical example of how a school can make the most of its resources. My daughter who is currently at Princeton, graduated from Greenberg and then was admitted to Central High School. My 14 year old is currently attending Julia R. Masterman High School, and my 11 year old is currently still enrolled at Greenberg. Greenberg has proven to be a more than sufficient launching pad for my two daughters. Greenberg is the launch pad to go anywhere you want to succeed. Staff at Greenberg are wonderful, starting from the first person you run into when go to the school. They care and educate the most precious things in our lives. It's a wonderful place to raise your children. There is a high level of parent involvement in the school.

Posted December 12, 2011

Joseph Greenberg has dedicated, friendly teachers. There are many fun school events for students and families. Involved parents make it an enriching environment socially and academically. The principal is a very passionate about the kids. She believes in each and every child's potential and makes an effort to get to know each one by name. The school is located in beautiful, well-kept, family oriented neighborhood, parking is not generally an issue.

Posted December 11, 2011

This is my daughter's first year in public school after our move from the catholic school system. My daughter loves Greenberg and her teachers. After talking with her teachers, I find them to be educated and motivated. My daughter told me her teachers make learning fun. She stated they are strict, however they are not mean. Great School!!

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 74% in 2012.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2011-2012 Pennsylvania used the Pennsylvania System of State Assessments (PSSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in math and reading, in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 11 in science. The results for reading, writing, science and math are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The PSSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Pennsylvania. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2012.

70 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 82% in 2012.

76 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 65% in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2012.

72 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 69% in 2012.

69 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2012.

72 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2012.

73 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 60% in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 73% in 2012.

All Students89%

Female85%
Male91%
Economically disadvantaged92%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students89%

Economically disadvantaged58%
Students with disabilities (IEP)23%

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 24% 3%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

600 Sharon Ln