Philadelphia, PA

Posted April 11, 2014
Art teacher marisa grasso has mental problems and should not be around children. I'm not sure how she became a teacher in the first place.

Posted September 09, 2013
The school, the staff and teachers are fabulous. The only issue is with the principal ( Mrs. Endy-Okane). She plays favorites with certain teachers and does not allow teachers to be themselves in the school. I have never seen a school have so many teachers shifted and moved around. I looked forward to my child having a certain teacher when graduating to the next grade, but this teacher was moved to a totally different grade level. This was done with many teachers over the last two years. I am very displeased with the way she keeps disrupting a system that was working very well. I am sure that many parents look forward to the opportunity of thier children getting certain teachers as the child progresses through the school. This principal, so far, has not shown any concern to the parents, students or teachers needs. It appears all she cares about is making sure that the numbers are good. I can't wait to see PSSA scores since she has taken over the school. The previous principal (Mr. Connors) kept everyone informed about the scores, so far not a peep from this one. Hopefully this school year will show that a new principal is in order.

Posted August 22, 2013
My grandson switched in second grade from the parochial school to Stephen Decatur Public School, and that was six years ago. After his first day there, he came out of the building at dismissal with the biggest smile on his face, so I knew he would be happy there. I have volunteered at this school, on and off, for 2 or 3 years, and from the teachers, to the office staff, the maintenance crew, the Home and School, Stephen Decatur is just the total package. If there are any concerns or issues, you can be sure that the Principal or the teachers will address those problems, and every teacher that my grandson has had was dedicated to providing the best education of their students, even giving of their own time to help a student. I am so proud and so glad that my grandson is attending Stephen Decatur, I would recommend it to any family looking for schools in this area, and I hope that they continue to do the excellent job that they have been doing.

Decatur Stephen School 2

Posted May 29, 2013
When issues or concerns are brought up to the school main office there appears to be "no efforts" to have them resolved. The appoach taken is attempting to cover up the matter or completely ignore the concern of the parent. I have even heard and my child has experienced issues of discrimination and bullying by teachers/students. The school board needs to have an investigation on how issues of discimination, and bullying are TRUELY being handled. Parents should be advised to take suspected concerns you may have or your child reports to you to the next level "the school board" when experienced. This school needs some serious training on diversity and respecting all cultures. Sincerely, Disappointed Parent

Posted August 21, 2012
I went there from 3rd-8th grade; in the 2nd 8th grade class to graduate.Academics weren't as good as they could have been.The kids were out of control.Pencils & erasers were thrown in classrooms; food&OPEN milk cartons were thrown in the lunchroom.The students didn't care about learning; the teachers didn't care about motivating them.There were 2-3 fights a year.The bullies did what they wanted.If victims got tired of teachers not stopping bullies&tried to get bullies to stop themselves, the victims got in trouble, not bullies.One teacher even helped the bullies avoid punishment.Detention&suspension motivated the bad kids to cause more trouble.This is a bad school.If you're a parent&want to stay in the school district I suggest Joe Greenburg K-8.The academics are far better; they were number 1 in the city.They teach motivation.They have more control over the bad kids.If public schools aren't for you, do homeschooling.Join Scout troops/karate if you're worried about your kids not being socialized.If you can afford it, a private school with small classes.Small classes don't form cliques or bully each other.I hated going to school as a kid; don't put your child through the same thing.

Posted May 08, 2011
my children love this school very much. It`s a great school.The teachers are very nice.

Posted October 26, 2010
My daughter, among my 5 children that have attended Decatur, is in Mrs. Coyle's 6th grade class and it is the first time I have ever seen her motivated and so excited to go to school. Many of the parents in this particular class agree that there is a big difference in our children's work habits and that this teacher and staff this year is a refreshment to Decatur. Excellent school.

Posted May 12, 2010

Posted April 12, 2010
My three c hildren attended Stephen Decatur School, I find it to be one of the best elementary schools in Northeast, Philadelphia. I can testify that my children are products of great early childhood education. Mr. Conners is a great principal. I was a very involved parent and my relaionship with the teachers was magnificent. I now can boast a 22yr old college graduate, a 17 year soon to be high school graduate and a 13 year old A student. Thank you Stephen Decatur.

Posted December 22, 2009
I have found that if you have any issues with this school or if issues arise surrounding your child, they are not willing to help you...they want to do what is best for the teachers and the school, and not the child as what was stated in an earlier post. I will say that a lot of the staff are very friendly, but they are probably in the wrong positions.

Decatur Stephen School
3500 Academy Rd, Philadelphia, PA  19154
Last modified Decatur Stephen School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Decatur Stephen School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top