Philadelphia, PA

Posted June 20, 2014
Incredible, wonderful, diverse urban school in the best sense of the word. We are so thrilled with both of our kids' experiences. The principal is the best. Teachers are exceptional. The parent community does so much, home & school is a machine. The best part - the kids who come from so many different countries and cultures. Beautiful green yard, classes in the secret garden, weather station, trips to historical landmarks, art, music, performances, enrichment, everything's offered. Diversity, achievement, learning - this school has it all.

Posted June 20, 2014
Greenfield Elementary This is a wonderful school. Our child spent first grade in a highly ranked "Mainline" public school. Her second grade teacher taught to each child's abilities and did not let the fact our child is a minority taint his judgement. Please listen to what parents who do not have children in a Philadelphia public school tell you about the school district. Please don't let parents or people who have no child in your local public school tell you about the school. You must visit and talk to the parents and children at the school.

Greenfield Albert M School 4

Posted June 20, 2014
We looked at all our options before sending our child to Greenfield. I wouldn't send him anywhere else. This school has the best elementary school principal in the city. He knows each child by name and knows each child's personality. He is amazing. The 4th grade teachers did great by my kid this year. Lots of trips, reading The Odyssey, science fair, and more. Its an extremely diverse school. There are great families of all income levels, who are super active. The funding issues have really hurt all the schools, but because the parents are so active, they refused to allow programs to be cut by helping take up the slack, raising money and buying staff. Why only 4 stars?: Its not perfect, but they are working on it. Some problems are district wide issues. I am not sure where the ultra-negative feedback from other reviewers comes from. We think Greenfield is a great school!

Greenfield Albert M School 2

Posted June 17, 2014
best school in Philadelphia?... i think wrong. you only see the good side of this school but deep down , this is the most rowdy , uncontrolled school. not a good place for your child to learn and grow. more discipline needs to show up more in this school. my child would not be returning to this school , and its a shame because i heard so may great things about this school, but sadly there aren't true. one thing i would say good is the funding is slightly better then the other schools, and the home & school is very hard working, and ready to help with anything

Posted December 05, 2013
Its just not the same anymore. I had family attending this school since around 1996 and over the years, everything has changed. I also attended myself and have family there now. I loved it. I hated it. I wanted to leave. I didnt want to go. I was all over the place with everything...and thats just how it is. Both elementary and the middle school is good, but they both have flaws. The elementary school portion is very diverse, educational, and for the most part good. Yet towards my final years, I noticed towards end of my years there, teachers changed due to budget cuts and it seemed as if the whole atmosphere of Greenfield was changed. Middle school is overwhelming at first! If you are not use to somewhat strict teachers and different types of work, get ready! The flaw to the middle school is that it is all over the place. Its not as diverse. Some teachers give you work that is on the level that it should be, others have work that seems on College level, and others seem as if you are in 2nd grade again. What I'll say is the the heavy and enhanced work level has prepared me for highschool. Im currently doing the same amount of work if not less P.S. Detention is major in this school

Posted September 16, 2013
Greenfield is a great school in the heart of the city. Principal has demonstrated that he understands children & the importance of being accessible to parents. He works hard to ensure a safe, fun, educational, inviting environment for families. He does a good job of incorporating district initiatives, while maintaining a sense of responsibility of parents/ staff to do our part to ensure students fare well. He will roll his sleeves up...literally & use a hands on approach. Because our principal understands the value/ necessity of parent/ comm. engagement, he does a great job of allowing for a strong home/ school assoc. with recognized roles/input. Programs serving children, such as after school/ extra curricular activities know this is a school where parents/ students & staff want what's best for children. Children enjoy a welcoming/ respectful as students, while understanding the expectation for appropriate behavior & valiant academic efforts for themselves. My son has had teachers who helped to improve his overall academic skills for the past 4 years. Here, I know $5,000.00 would be put to good use for the benefit of the students going forth. Vote for Greenfield!

Posted September 09, 2013
My son and I were very excited about first grade, but that excitement was quickly shattered. As soon as I picked him up from school he,tearfully, began telling me how the teacher yells at all the boys. This little kid has never had disciplinary issues and has come a long way socially. My fear is that he will shut down and not communicate effectively with his teacher out of fear. I'm hoping that she will take the time to get to know her students and learn how to communicate without making them afraid to come to school. I'm all for being firm with children and I do understand that some children respond to yelling, however my son does not. I have never had this issue with his pre-school or kindergarten teachers of the past. We raise our children to be respectful and obedient, this does not mean that an occasional re-direction is never needed, but it never takes yealling to get a point across to this kid. Hopefully the principal takes a look at these reviews and address some of the concerns. I would like to add that the Principal is amazing.

Posted September 04, 2013
the kids are disrespectful. but im trying my best to get them ready for life.

Greenfield Albert M School 1

Posted June 13, 2013
Data doesn't lie - - You can do as much P.R. as you want, but the data is what matters.

Posted February 25, 2013
Excellent school. Lower school is exceptional, and middle school is very good and getting better each and every year. Unlike Penn Alexander, which has let parents camp out in January nights in years past to secure spots for their kids before switching to lottery, Greenfield's principal has opened FIVE new classrooms in lower school (so now there are 3 classrooms each in K-4) since the fall of 2009 to accommodate increasing numbers of students. All the new teachers he hired are truly excellent. Dedicated teachers (yes, there is quite a bit of homework and projects), extraordinary parental commitment, and students who work very hard are all factors that make Greenfield a terrific school. May not be a school for everyone - enroll your kids here if you want them to learn and be challenged to give their very best. However, if you as a parent expect that you need to drop off and pick up and the school will do the rest, you might be better off at a private school.

Greenfield Albert M School
2200 Chestnut St, Philadelphia, PA  19103
Last modified Greenfield Albert M School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Greenfield Albert M School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top