Philadelphia, PA

Conwell Russell Middle School
Develops honesty: Agree

Posted May 26, 2015
i feel that my school is not as bad. there are other schools that are very worse then my school.

Conwell Russell Middle School 3

Posted May 26, 2015
this school is okay some kid fought a teacher and the kid did not get in trouble

Conwell Russell Middle School 4

Posted May 26, 2015
this is my school i dont think it is that bad. it has some nice kids and very smart teachers everyone is like a big learning family.

Posted April 22, 2015
this school is just horrible. no one wants to learn. all they day is play around. its like a daycare

Posted June 23, 2014
This school two years ago ,was a very excellent school. My daughter graduated with high honors. But after this school year is has been a complete total disaster. My son needed help with his school work. So I tried going plenty of times talking to the principle and teache. They never even bothered to give interest on helping my child, so he failed the school year. Not only my son, but majority of the grade it self.

Conwell Russell Middle School 5

Posted June 12, 2014
My daughter is graduating from here 6/18/2014. She has learned a great deal from her teachers and fellow students. The comments I read in other reviews regarding some of the students' behavior I feel are unfounded. It is not the responsibility of the tteachers to raise our children. They are there to educate, not parent. I haven't had any issues with the staff. In fact, I feel they try to help the students further their education so they may become successful adults. Two of my siblings and I attended here and we loved it. I would definitely recommend this school.

Posted February 04, 2014
Our experience with this school has been a nightmare. Back when we selected Conwell for our daughter, the distance wasn't really an issue because we believed that she was going to be getting a great experience going here. Boy were we wrong. My daughter is traveling an hour on public transportation by herself, not being challenged at all because the teachers have their hands full with children with disciplinary problems. And that is just the start of the issues that we have with this school. There is a problem with the children keeping their hands to themselves, not to mention how long the "Smack the butt 'game'" was allowed to happen after it was brought to the attention of the staff. I don't understand the 6 rating that this school has with GreatSchools. As the parent of a child who attends this school, that rating is way too high.

Posted January 02, 2014
I had written earlier refraining from giving a star rating, but now that we have been at the school for a while I wanted to provide a more complete rating. I'm very displeased with Conwell. I do like a couple of my daughter's teachers, however, there are still underqualified students there. I've been told that these students have been put on warning and if they don't improve by next quarter they will be asked to leave. How much instructional time will be lost by that time? They should have gone to homogeneous classrooms so the workers could work and the slackers could flounder. I don't have an issue with students who struggle academically, I have an issue with those who refuse to behave and prevent others from learning. The last straw came with "smack butt Fridays"; some boys smacking girls on the bottom. The principal nothing until threatened by another parent with legal action. Also, while the principal leadership score is high here, be aware that the old vice principal became principal; it's not the same person. If the School District of Philadelphia wants to keep it's best and brightest students, it needs more schools like Masterman. I'm shopping for a charter now.

Conwell Russell Middle School 3

Posted September 13, 2013
My daughter has just started 6th grade at Conwell, having transferred from an excellent elementary school. I'm not providing star ratings because I don't feel we've had enough exposure to the school to make those types of determinations. I'm concerned because while Conwell is a magnet school and touts academic criteria, my daughters teachers have mentioned that students who do not meet the published criteria (having scored basic and below basic on PSSA exams rather than meeting the 70th percentile litmus test, and students scoring on lower grade levels on a timed mathematics test) are in the school. As a parent of a gifted child I was hoping that this environment would be able to provide an accelerated curriculum because there would be less differentiation necessary. Instead now I see this as a slightly higher performing public school. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Conwell will pan out; my husband wants to pull my daughter because of the neighborhood but I insisted she be there stressing the academic environment. If the environment isn't there I don't really see a reason to continue sending her.

Posted May 28, 2013
I was an 11 year old 5th grader at Conwell. I got my $250 iPhone 4 stolen. Luckily, my phone had a tracking app on it so we tracked the phone to the house and got the phone back. Then, I found out the education is even worse then the safety! They say you need to have good grades to get in but some of the kids in my class didn't even know their times tables. The last straw was when I was assaulted by a kid in my grade. Another student swung he book-bag at my face and broke my glasses. The students use inappropriate language and play inappropriate games where they touch each other in inappropriate places. That is all I have to say about Conwell. I suggest not sending your kids there.

Conwell Russell Middle School
1849 East Clearfield St, Philadelphia, PA  19134
Last modified Conwell Russell Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Conwell Russell Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 58 reviews. Top