Posted June 23, 2014
This school two years ago ,was a very excellent school. My daughter graduated with high honors. But after this school year is has been a complete total disaster. My son needed help with his school work. So I tried going plenty of times talking to the principle and teache. They never even bothered to give interest on helping my child, so he failed the school year. Not only my son, but majority of the grade it self.

Posted June 12, 2014
My daughter is graduating from here 6/18/2014. She has learned a great deal from her teachers and fellow students. The comments I read in other reviews regarding some of the students' behavior I feel are unfounded. It is not the responsibility of the tteachers to raise our children. They are there to educate, not parent. I haven't had any issues with the staff. In fact, I feel they try to help the students further their education so they may become successful adults. Two of my siblings and I attended here and we loved it. I would definitely recommend this school.

Posted February 04, 2014
Our experience with this school has been a nightmare. Back when we selected Conwell for our daughter, the distance wasn't really an issue because we believed that she was going to be getting a great experience going here. Boy were we wrong. My daughter is traveling an hour on public transportation by herself, not being challenged at all because the teachers have their hands full with children with disciplinary problems. And that is just the start of the issues that we have with this school. There is a problem with the children keeping their hands to themselves, not to mention how long the "Smack the butt 'game'" was allowed to happen after it was brought to the attention of the staff. I don't understand the 6 rating that this school has with GreatSchools. As the parent of a child who attends this school, that rating is way too high.

Posted January 02, 2014
I had written earlier refraining from giving a star rating, but now that we have been at the school for a while I wanted to provide a more complete rating. I'm very displeased with Conwell. I do like a couple of my daughter's teachers, however, there are still underqualified students there. I've been told that these students have been put on warning and if they don't improve by next quarter they will be asked to leave. How much instructional time will be lost by that time? They should have gone to homogeneous classrooms so the workers could work and the slackers could flounder. I don't have an issue with students who struggle academically, I have an issue with those who refuse to behave and prevent others from learning. The last straw came with "smack butt Fridays"; some boys smacking girls on the bottom. The principal nothing until threatened by another parent with legal action. Also, while the principal leadership score is high here, be aware that the old vice principal became principal; it's not the same person. If the School District of Philadelphia wants to keep it's best and brightest students, it needs more schools like Masterman. I'm shopping for a charter now.

Conwell Russell Middle School 3

Posted September 13, 2013
My daughter has just started 6th grade at Conwell, having transferred from an excellent elementary school. I'm not providing star ratings because I don't feel we've had enough exposure to the school to make those types of determinations. I'm concerned because while Conwell is a magnet school and touts academic criteria, my daughters teachers have mentioned that students who do not meet the published criteria (having scored basic and below basic on PSSA exams rather than meeting the 70th percentile litmus test, and students scoring on lower grade levels on a timed mathematics test) are in the school. As a parent of a gifted child I was hoping that this environment would be able to provide an accelerated curriculum because there would be less differentiation necessary. Instead now I see this as a slightly higher performing public school. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Conwell will pan out; my husband wants to pull my daughter because of the neighborhood but I insisted she be there stressing the academic environment. If the environment isn't there I don't really see a reason to continue sending her.

Conwell Russell Middle School 4

Posted August 22, 2011
Conwell is such a great school. Now there are some Pros and Cons of the school like any other school. The Pros are: This school will get you ready for the upcoming years in high school. I just graduated from this school and I am going to Central. The teachers here will help you out in so many ways possible, the teachers do not want the students to fail. The students help other students out so they can become stronger academically. I went to this school and have leraned so much. You buld a family with the students and teachers around you. The teachers are not only teachers but are also your friends. Now the Cons: Even though this school is an excellent school academilcally, it is not in a great area. There have been a couple fights in the school. There is some name-calling. But in my opinion if you mind your own business and be yourself, you will not have a problem at this school. So overall, this is such a magnificent school, and it is a true priviledge to come here.

Posted August 01, 2011
Conwell is really great school. It may not be in the best neighborhood but the Recent Princible (Mr. Hoffman) is really great at getting the kids out and he tells them to go right home and come right to school! I'll miss MR. Hoffman, this year he retired now we have a new principle. I don't know her that well yet.... But I'm sure I will. My Name is Lianna Enggasser and I will be a 8th grade student at conwell in sept. 2011!!!

Posted April 08, 2011
This is a very nice school, my daughter goes there and she is having no problems and is always brings home great grades, 5/5 !

Posted April 05, 2011
My daughter will be graduating from Conwell this year and I regret ever sending her to this school. In order to keep the funding they recieve they do not report or suspend violent children. There has been several instances of bullying, threats and actual fights that the principal and teachers do not give the attention it deserves. By doing that they fail the children. Its insane what these kids get away with in this school. But since there are no major behavior problems reported in that school they can boast about thier blue ribbon. One parent that I have befriended actually had to press a personal complaint and take a another student to court for bullying in juvenile court because the school would not take action. Thats just sad.

Conwell Russell Middle School 4

Posted March 25, 2011
I go to Conwell and its sooo much fun ! I love the teachers , the students , and the staff members they are so nice and funny ! Its my 8th grade year and I'm graduating soon but I love this school and I'm gonna miss it . I been there since 5th grade and learned a lot there . I'm gonna cry on graduation day :)

Conwell Russell Middle School
1849 East Clearfield St, Philadelphia, PA  19134
Last modified Conwell Russell Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Conwell Russell Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 47 reviews. Top