Posted April 04, 2014
This is my daughters first year in public school. I was very concerned about the quality of education she would be receiving. To my surprise we have had a pretty good experience at Lea. My daughter's teacher is wonderful and really works hard at challenging the children. I really like that the school is diverse. The teachers and students would benefit from more parent and administrative supports. Parents must get involved!!! The school also lacks supplies !!!! Lea has done a good job with maintaining enrichment programs like music ,art, and gym however I do not see the S.T.E.M. program or technology. The after -school programs they offer are helpful to working parents. The school has some issues but appears to be going in the right direction. Get involved help Lea school to become greater!!!

Lea Henry C School 3

Posted September 12, 2013
Despite many talented and capable teachers at Lea, the school consistently struggles to meet AYP. Lea's own website attributes its low test scores to a large ESL population and its special ed program. The school is also supported by Penn and an active coalition of neighborhood groups, but in the three years our son attended (2011-2013) not a single parent enrolled in the school's own Home and School Association? There are many enrichment opportunities for the kids, but some programs are inconsistent. One week your child has library and music, the next week he doesn't. As other parents here have stated, class sizes do diminish drastically after the 5th grade with many families opting to continue their kids' education elsewhere; the lack of student focus (noted in comments below) is also no exaggeration. We removed our son from Lea after it became increasingly more difficult to motivate him to complete assignments. He frequently expressed his growing resentment at the fact that the greater majority of his classmates neither completed homework with any regularity nor turned in projects.

Posted September 11, 2013
My school has really changed over the summer. There is a lot of energy in the building. It was newly painted with many things fixed. There are new teachers who seem really good, to add to the great teachers who were there last year, and the New Principal is FANTASTIC. I saw people doing a survey to fix issues with traffic and see that there are a lot of plants near Spruce Street in the garden part of the school yard. My child said they had a designated person doing activities with them at recess. I think called Play Works or something like that. Lots of new parents who seem really nice. I am really excited about this year.

Lea Henry C School 1

Posted July 29, 2013
NOT A GOOD SCHOOL! The principal Dr. Bell-Chiles is no longer at the school why bc there were changes that needed to be made. I have to commend the teachers and staff that try to install pride in the children, but that alone does not change the overall environment of the school in its inability to keep the kids focused on academic success with such low parent involvement. If you attend their honor roll assemblies you will have a chance to see as the grades gets higher there are less students making the honor roll. The school really looses the focus of children after 4th grade and 7th and 8th; forget about it. Bullying is a problem as well; these kids vandalize the school building, break into the school when it s closed. Cops were called to this school a few times behind bullying. The school has a new principal this year, but if she is engulfed with worrying about keeping a job and unable to be available to bring about much needed serious changes Lea will continue to be a disaster.

Lea Henry C School 5

Posted February 20, 2013
I have been at this school for some time. I have been very happy with my child's education. I have seen great teachers teaching and my child has never had an issue with bullying. My child is very quiet and would be a target if there was a problem. There are some kids that may not have the direction from home that my child has but I have seen my kid's teachers do a great job instilling discipline and control. Plus you get that in Lower Merion also. My kid gets rewarded with points for being good and tells me all the time about what prizes he gets from the school store, which seems an incentive for kids to do well instead of punishing them. There is a parent who is very involved and has helped me with many things including getting on SchoolNet to see my child's grades at anytime. I thought this guy was a teacher or administrator but he is just a parent. I have heard that he is instrumental in getting Penn involved, computers, and other things. So far I am very happy. I plan on getting more involved to help keep things moving forward. The least I can do.

Posted January 17, 2012
This is a very good public school which seems to be getting better and better - even with the budget cuts. The principal is very hands-on. The teachers are very competent and really care about their students. The majority of the students are very nice, interesting in learning, and kind to their fellow classmates.

Posted June 25, 2011
The principal, Dr. Bells Chiles, is great. She is open to community involvement, has an open door policy with parents & teachers, and is extremely committed to her students. I wish more principals at our neighborhood schools were like here. There are some great enrichment programs going on at Lea such as the gLea singing program and gardening efforts in the interior courtyard. The HSA president, Maurice Jones, is a dedicated parent and leader at the school. Is the school perfect? Is it as bad as some people think? No and no. As with any school, it needs engaged parents talking with the teachers and principal. PSSA are also not the only assessment of student performance. One also needs to evaluate how each student improves year to year, not just as an average of the entire class.

Lea Henry C School 3

Posted May 17, 2011
H.C. Lea School has it's pro's and con's. I have come across some awesome and supportive parents. I think it's downfall is its lack of leadership. There are some very dedicated teachers there that are truly there for the students. There are a lot of discipline issues do to the lack of leadership. A majority of the parents are not involved in their child's education. They basically send their students to school and hold the teacher responsible for everything else! I hope more parents become involved, it would make a world of difference!

Posted May 06, 2011
My grandson is in 8th grade at Lea School. The teachers are very competent and are preparing the students for high school. The science, math, reading and social studies teachers are the best! People need to take a look at this school and see the effective teaching and learning which is occurring at Lea School. There are a lot if positive things happening which the community is not aware of...Lea is a gem!

Lea Henry C School 1

Posted February 05, 2011
i hate it it is bad it is bad i hate it i hate it

Lea Henry C School
4700 Locust St, Philadelphia, PA  19139
Last modified Lea Henry C School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lea Henry C School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top