Philadelphia, PA

Parkway Northwest 2

Posted August 20, 2013
The sad case is that Philadelphia public schools as a whole need an overhaul and a refocus on education. While Parkway was usually great with selecting students without a violent propensity it has always lacked to draw many children with scholastic greatness. This is of course much less and indictment of it's teachers than of it's curriculum. Coming from Masterman middle school I could see the disparity between a child educated in the upper echelon of Philadelphia schools and the rest of Philadelphia schools. The theme is Peace and Social Justice, and while that is nice it won't help you as much in this world as rigorous curriculum in Mathematics, Literacy, Programming, Science, or the Arts. The teachers want to help your child learn, and it is a safe environment. If you would like to be prepared for college there are few schools that do that, the work at Parkway is too easy for college preparation. Send your child if they are a "C" or below "C" at an average Philadelphia school, if they are a C at an upper echelon and miss out on Central or Masterman etc. Unfortunately there is no middle ground school go private. Outside of being light years ahead of my peers, I loved the school.

Parkway Northwest 1

Posted February 10, 2012
My child told me that they are charged $5.00 whenever they do not wear uniform. Although i believe they should be in uniform i also believe that $5.00 is a bit to much. They did not send any letters home notifying the parents about this. The students also had to pay $5.00 if they did not pick up there transpasses on time. My question is where is the money going? I wouldn't recommend this school to anyone. The assistant principal is rude also. Maybe that is why she is getting bounced around from school to school. We the parents need to stand up and do whatever we can to get this woman out of here!

Parkway Northwest 0

Posted April 01, 2010
i give this school no stars at all.. me being a former student i know first hand how things are ran there. its soooo much bad i can say... but its not even enough room.. please please please if your considering going here or you plan or sending your child.. please have have a plan b..this should be your last resort.

Parkway Northwest 3

Posted March 21, 2010
I am a current senior at Parkway Northwest and I believe that this school has its positives and negatives. We do not have hardly any extra-curricular activities, the classrooms are kind of cramp and we are not taught at the academic level some of us deserve. On the other hand, the teachers are very dedicated to helping us at school and after we graduate. This school gives us a certain amount of independence needed to grow and mature. This school is very safe and the campus is pretty.

Parkway Northwest 3

Posted January 08, 2010
I'm a student @ parkway northwest and this school is not that so great but it do get us ready for college and sometimes this school can do fun things

Parkway Northwest 0

Posted October 05, 2009
This school has a tremendous theme...peace and social justice...that it is working to implement with new curriculum and many new programs. It is a regular public school, not a charter, and deserves a lot of credit for what they have accomplished and need help to keep the momentum rolling.

Parkway Northwest 5

Posted October 03, 2009
Parkway NW is dedicated to peace and social justice and the teachers and students are working so hard to achieve academic excellence while combating violence and injustice. As a community member who has served on their advisory committee and who attends many school activities I commend their quarterly school wide seminars focused on complex issues of the day, their program to introduce healthy and local food into their lunch program, their numerous community service projects, their award winning playwriting and poetry slams and the fabulous mural they painted last year. A public school with limited resources, a school population with numerous challenges, they are to be commended for their perseverence, productivity and commitment.

Parkway Northwest 4

Posted October 15, 2008
I am parent of a freshman at Parkway NW.I feel that it is a great school. My only concerns are the lack of extra cirricular activities and I thought it would be more diversity among the student body

Parkway Northwest 5

Posted September 03, 2008
I attend parkway northwest and it is a great learning environment to be in and alot of diversity with in students and teachers.So far i have enjoyed my time at parkway northwest and is ready for the upcoming year!

Parkway Northwest 4

Posted October 15, 2007
I am a former student of Parkway Northwest, I graduated 2006. I think Parkway Northwest is one of few schools in the Philadelphia School District that provides students with a sense of security. The teachers try to enfroce independence into their students and show them various ways of thinking rather than just listening to one-sided views.

Parkway Northwest
7500 Germantown Ave, Philadelphia, PA  19119
Last modified Parkway Northwest is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Parkway Northwest Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top