Carver High School

Public | 9-12 | 723 students

Posted November 3, 2014

Carver - A Prominent School heading into a complete Format of Productivity. As a student of George Washington Carver High School Engineering and Science, I must say that the skills that I have obtained are absolutely priceless. Going into the school as a freshman, my mindset from the start was to work for an "A." Though as the school year progressed I realize what I was truly working towards and that was to a career. The opportunities are truly endless. All the teachers within the school are determined to work as long as you are willing to work with them. The teachers are there to help you succeed and will surprise you to what they can do to help you get closer to your path in life, even when you might not even know what that path is. There was one teacher, he was the engineering teacher and what he does everyday is read out the different internships and job offers that people send him for anyone who is interested. One day I was listening and I heard something about a business internship and I have never stopped growing in that field. innovation is Key, because the Power to discover is in You. Thank You Hope To See You Attend Carver

Posted October 25, 2014

I am honored to be attending G.W. Carver High School of Engineering and Science. I can honestly say that it was the best high school choice I could have made, helping define who I am today. The school curriculum is rigorous, especially if you take the several advanced tracks offered, and allows you to chart your own course. In addition to the variety of STEM-based academic offerings, such as the engineering, computer science, environmental science, psychology, and bio-medical programs, there are other courses, such as AP English and various social studies classes, that help round out students. The teachers are extremely helpful, they have treated me like a young adult, and held me accountable while still helping me. There's a variety of extra-curricular activities and sports, and many students are also invested in programs outside of what the school offers. My experienced here has helped shape me, and I KNOW, along with my peers, that we're ready for college. I may have had to stay up passed midnight because of the homework and projects, but in the end, it is worth-it. If you take full advantage of what this school offers, the rewards will be priceless.

Posted August 22, 2012

E&S is one of the best high schools in all of Philadelphia. I will admit my freshmen year at this school was not as challenging as it could have been but it made transitioning into a new school full of strangers easier. You can pick your classes at the end of freshmen year which pretty much dictates how easy or hard your sophomore year will be(and how intelligent your classmates will be). My sophomore year was very challenging and time consuming. Once a sophomore you will be very acquainted with most of the teachers at the school as well as lots of the people in your class and in other classes as well. The building is nicely kept the lockers are very spacious and we have a central air conditioning system. We also have a whole lot of student clubs and it is not too difficult to start a new one if you have teacher and peer support. Most of the students are friendly and approachable. As far as Cons go I don't have too many: the school lacks diversity(although this is slowly changing), the lunches are pretty bad, and a small few of the staff have an attitude problem. Overall it is an excellent school and will be a perfect fit for any intelligent and talented Philadelphia student.

Posted May 25, 2012

E&S High is awesome! I love this High School so much. You wanna work your way to becoming a doctor, an engineer, or Scientist, then this is the high school to be at, where everybody knows you and teachers who care about your education. I love how this high school is focus on getting students and myself to college. I think this high school is way better then Central high school, This should be consider one of the best high schools in Philadelphia. My only con against it, is i think it needs to be more diverse. Other then that, this school is the best.

Posted March 25, 2011

This school does not challenge the students in many academic ways.To me it is easy. I am on the honor roll without even trying. Also, a main downside to this school is that it is not DIVERSE ! Diversity is very important to me. This world is diverse, and throughout a child's high school years it's important to experience a work facility with different ethnicities and backgrounds. This is the reason why I am transferring to Central High School, a place where diversity is presented and allow student to have a higher education experience. I love the fact that this school is reconstructed with many modern features and "some" teachers actually educate the students (even though many don't). When I say educate I meant in a way it challenges my brain and the potentials I have, yet to be revealed. In addition, I don't think this school would help me discover myself and what I want to be in life. Besides the negative comments, there are some wonderful things, for instance, the relationship and bond between a teacher and student.

Posted January 5, 2011

I am a freshmen attending G.W. Carver HSES, and the first two weeks of school I instantly fell in love with it.

Posted October 13, 2009

great instructional program,highly technologically advanced library and nuturing teachers!!!!!

Posted August 30, 2008

Focused on college bound. Great atoomsphere.

Posted June 24, 2008

I'm a graduate of HSES and I can tell you it prepared me for college. The class size was small. I knew everyone in my graduating class. You can't say they to too many schools. The neighboorhood is not so great. This is the same challenge that Temple has experienced for years.

Posted February 19, 2008

I am a current student of E & S it is my last year and I have enjoyed the experiences that this school has bestowed upon me. We have been promised a new building and we are getting exactly that, with new halls, classes and labs. E&S is the best

Posted May 19, 2007

What can I say---HSES prepared me for the World! I am confused as to why it isn't in the Top rated schools when that last I checked it was still a special admission school and still hard to get into. The 'small school with the big name' left its mark on my life academically, literally and intellectually.

Posted August 31, 2006

I am a current student at Carver. It was a pretty good school at first, but as the enrollment requirements have become more lenient, the quality of the school has gone down.

Posted April 9, 2006

As a former student I am proud to say that I attended E&S. My education at E&S prepared me well to compete & succeed at Drexel University. The only negative of the school is it's location and small size. Promises of a new/improved school have not been met.

Posted March 18, 2006

I am a current student to this school and I love it. It offers me the callenges that was not getting at my regular school but also has a lot interaction, something a big school like Central or Mast. could not give you. Don't come if your not up to the challange!

Posted March 1, 2006

I am a former student of H.S.E.S. This school prepared me for college, my career and life. Academics here were second to none. Actually H.S.E.S as we used to call it was harder than most of my college courses because I received my foundation for college at E&S.

Posted June 14, 2004

I'm a former student of the esteemed, 'H.S.E.S'. It would be fantastic if every child could experience high school as I did. At E&S, you weren't a number, but a student. A student, who was known by everyone from the principal to custodial staff. The working environment encompassed teachings needed for the college classroom, in addition to the world at large. I'm proud to be an 'Engineer'.

Posted January 22, 2004

This school provided my son with an excellent education. The leadership at this school is excellent from students, teachers office staff and principal. Your child will be very prepared for college after graduation. Parents however are the key. Parents involvement, discipline and commitment to their children and the school is necessary for the school to continue providing our youth with an excellent education.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 42% in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2012.

177 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2011-2012 Pennsylvania used the Pennsylvania System of State Assessments (PSSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in math and reading, in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 11 in science. The results for reading, writing, science and math are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The PSSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Pennsylvania. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

Black98%
Asian100%
Economically disadvantaged98%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 9% 3%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1600 West Norris St