Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Today, I graduated from this school and I would say that my four years in this school was pretty okay. The thing is though, this year was a horrible year. Every other year was an okay year where fights were EXTREMELY rare (unless they were after school), but I noticed quite a change ever since this school got a new principle and new teachers last year. More and more fights are happening during school and many students have behavior issues. I think the problem is the principle and some of the teachers at this school aren't strict enough, but what's great about them is that they do so much to make the students feel like MYA is their home and try to give them the best experience, but it's a shame that they don't appreciate this fact. Even though MYA has become quite a bad school, I still love MYA and I am very grateful to have gone to this school since MYA is 10 times better than most public schools in Philly,

I am one of the students who will graduate MYA this year. Now, MYA is pretty much a small school; everybody knows everybody once you get to know them. You'll make friends easily. The downfall to MYA is that there are A LOT of students who don't want to learn and keeps making noise everytime a teacher wants to teach. Most of the teachers are very good at teaching while some are pretty much unorganized and are not as strict as the principal. If the teachers are not that strict, the students won't care about the lesson that the teacher is trying to teach them. Though, half of students make a lot of noise and distractions(even during on tests!), there are the other half who are devoted to school and work very hard. I won't say I'll be glad to get out of MYA because there are so many good memories in here. I know a lot of my friends are happy to get out of this school though, and hopefully want to enjoy a better experience in high school.

My friend goes to this school and she said she loves it! I'm thinking about going to this school next year! She said the students are nice & everybody get along! This school is amazing! The food is great everybody thinks this is a great school actually a couple of my friends go here! I might end up coming so I'll be lucky if I do!

My mixed children were previously going to our neighborhood public schools before going to MYA. The difference between public school and MYA drastic. In the public schools my children were constantly harrassed due to their skin color and were in several fights per year! The schools really do nothing about it other than suspension and the parents of the perpertrating students couldnt care less! MYA on the other hand does NOT tolerate that behavior. There was one incident in the beginning of the school year and Mrs. Fitzpatrick handled it immediately! No problems since! MYA IS AWESOME! DESCENT EDUCATION(NOT THE BEST BUT DEFINITELY BETTER THAN PUBLIC), gOOD SCHOOL LUNCH, AND SAFETY, WHICHIS NUMBER ONE ON MY LIST! THANK YOU MYA!

I am a current 8th grader at MYA, the school is ridicously bad this year. Yes, it is true MYA is academicly strong but the current principle, Mrs. Fitzpatrick makes it feel awful. It seems as if she is just in it for the money, not the students. The teachers are great. They try to remember everyones name. But, Fitzpatrick only really remember the names of the kids who regurly get sent to her office. I feel sorry for the current 7th, 6th, and 5th graders who have to spend a year or more with her. I also feel sorry for the future students.

I would like to counter some of the comments made by a teacher dated January 7, 2009. In terms of preparing students for testing, this is a district wide policy which MYA teachers follow and are successful in implementing. MYA has made Annual Yearly Progress for 7 years in a row. As for certification, teachers must have certification in order to provide adequate and effective teaching. The fact that a teacher is rushed in obtaining it is of no consequence of the school, again this is a district and state mandate. The mixing of the 'Sels' is inclusion. All schools in the city and beyond are doing this. Lastly, students receive strong instruction and consistent attention to subject matter in which they are struggling. Comments left on this page by students is a testament of MYA's program.

I am a student who just recently moved back into the area. I left the school in 2002, some of the best memories of my life are of MYA it was a great enviroment to learn in even though the building we had when i was there was not the best. My classmates were like family and the teachers connected with us as students and helped us better ourselves. I cant speak to the current state of the school but if any of my old teachers are still there i would definnately recomend this school as one of the pest public schools in philadelphia.

I have some objections to the post by the teacher dated April 13,2008.Teachers where layed off.I know I was one of them.We did teach children to pass the test along with additional academics that was required.To begin with.The teachers that was not certified was given one year to obtain certification by taking the test. Which cost hundreds of dollars each time a teacher take the test.Although the instruction level can be strong sometimes.Due to the transition of mixing M.Y.A students with some Sels. students who are behind academically in some major subjects.Some teachers appear to be giving the sels. students more attention academically.The M.Y.A. students are left to take care of themseves academically during some classroom periods with very little assistance.If they get stuck on a hard problem and need some help.The teachers are so busy trying to help the sels. students catch up academically. (good note)Basketball for Mya male,+female studentsFinally!

MYA is a excellent school and my child is graduating next year im very proud.

I have objections to the post by a parent dated September 27, 2007. To begin with, teachers were not laid off. Teachers at times can transfer or retire as the case with the staff that has left. 'MYA seems to just teach children to pass test...' The instruction level at MYA is very strong and not only prepares students for testing but also prepares students to succeed in high school. Numerous eighth grade students move on to magnet and criterion based schools. Many go on to complete high school and attend college. Extra activities are not geared towards one gender. There is a two period time slot on Friday afternoons where students choose an activity that is creatively crafted by teachers who want to provide opportunities to delve into other topics to produce a well rounded student.

Last modified Middle Years Alternative School is a Public school that serves grades 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.