Middle Years Alternative School 3

Posted June 04, 2014
I am one of the students who will graduate MYA this year. Now, MYA is pretty much a small school; everybody knows everybody once you get to know them. You'll make friends easily. The downfall to MYA is that there are A LOT of students who don't want to learn and keeps making noise everytime a teacher wants to teach. Most of the teachers are very good at teaching while some are pretty much unorganized and are not as strict as the principal. If the teachers are not that strict, the students won't care about the lesson that the teacher is trying to teach them. Though, half of students make a lot of noise and distractions(even during on tests!), there are the other half who are devoted to school and work very hard. I won't say I'll be glad to get out of MYA because there are so many good memories in here. I know a lot of my friends are happy to get out of this school though, and hopefully want to enjoy a better experience in high school.

Posted May 18, 2014
My friend goes to this school and she said she loves it! I'm thinking about going to this school next year! She said the students are nice & everybody get along! This school is amazing! The food is great everybody thinks this is a great school actually a couple of my friends go here! I might end up coming so I'll be lucky if I do!

Middle Years Alternative School 4

Posted May 01, 2014
My mixed children were previously going to our neighborhood public schools before going to MYA. The difference between public school and MYA drastic. In the public schools my children were constantly harrassed due to their skin color and were in several fights per year! The schools really do nothing about it other than suspension and the parents of the perpertrating students couldnt care less! MYA on the other hand does NOT tolerate that behavior. There was one incident in the beginning of the school year and Mrs. Fitzpatrick handled it immediately! No problems since! MYA IS AWESOME! DESCENT EDUCATION(NOT THE BEST BUT DEFINITELY BETTER THAN PUBLIC), gOOD SCHOOL LUNCH, AND SAFETY, WHICHIS NUMBER ONE ON MY LIST! THANK YOU MYA!

Posted February 25, 2010

Posted January 28, 2010

Middle Years Alternative School 0

Posted September 22, 2009
I am a current 8th grader at MYA, the school is ridicously bad this year. Yes, it is true MYA is academicly strong but the current principle, Mrs. Fitzpatrick makes it feel awful. It seems as if she is just in it for the money, not the students. The teachers are great. They try to remember everyones name. But, Fitzpatrick only really remember the names of the kids who regurly get sent to her office. I feel sorry for the current 7th, 6th, and 5th graders who have to spend a year or more with her. I also feel sorry for the future students.

Posted September 21, 2009

Middle Years Alternative School 4

Posted September 07, 2009

Middle Years Alternative School 0

Posted August 06, 2009
I would like to counter some of the comments made by a teacher dated January 7, 2009. In terms of preparing students for testing, this is a district wide policy which MYA teachers follow and are successful in implementing. MYA has made Annual Yearly Progress for 7 years in a row. As for certification, teachers must have certification in order to provide adequate and effective teaching. The fact that a teacher is rushed in obtaining it is of no consequence of the school, again this is a district and state mandate. The mixing of the 'Sels' is inclusion. All schools in the city and beyond are doing this. Lastly, students receive strong instruction and consistent attention to subject matter in which they are struggling. Comments left on this page by students is a testament of MYA's program.

Posted April 22, 2009
I am a student who just recently moved back into the area. I left the school in 2002, some of the best memories of my life are of MYA it was a great enviroment to learn in even though the building we had when i was there was not the best. My classmates were like family and the teachers connected with us as students and helped us better ourselves. I cant speak to the current state of the school but if any of my old teachers are still there i would definnately recomend this school as one of the pest public schools in philadelphia.

Middle Years Alternative School
4725 Fairmont Ave, Philadelphia, PA  19139
Last modified Middle Years Alternative School is a Public school that serves grades 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Middle Years Alternative School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top