No rating

St Matthew School

Private | K-8 | 825 students

Living in Philadelphia

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $107,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $960.

Posted May 12, 2014

WHen my child was a second grader we were going through the motions with doctors rxing ADHD and possible autism spectrum disorders. At first I felt they wouldnt accept my child, but after meeting with the teachers, principle and school counselors, they worked with us and made my child feel like he was cared about. They always made time for him and gave him extra help when needed My child graduated with honors and awards and we moved on to public high school. My child continually gets compliments on his academic progress and his writing, I feel St Matthew School is a fantastic place to send your child but you must be an active parent and address issues as they come, not with accusations but with an willingness to find acceptable solutions for both child, teacher and school. Thank You Sr Kate, Mrs Shicatano, Sr Lisa, Mrs Walker, Mrs Novack, only to name a few of the teachers who push your child to do their best, but also let them kow they care about them.

Posted May 6, 2014

As a parent, I must say that I would NOT recommend this school to anyone. At one time, St. Matthew was a good school but over the years things have changed for the worst. The bad? I'll start off with the poor excuse of a principal. Catholic Schools are supposed to teach children to be respectful and treat everyone as an equal as God would. Not here. At this school, if you are not a cheerleader, a member of one of the CYO teams, or have a parent that is part of the Home and School Association, you are treated like garbage. The principal only cares about those students who make her look good. She is an arrogant, self-centered, narcissistic person who chooses to talk down to parents who question her about things, especially bullying. She is in abject denial that bullying is an issue when, in fact, it is a major one. She chooses to demean kids who are on the quiet side while ignoring the obvious discipline problems. Her smug demeanor belies her internal evil persona. If you are not one of the elite, expect to be treated as a second class citizen. As for the teachers, a some of them are the most impersonal uncaring people alive. I do not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted February 1, 2014

Sorry I sent my child there all about money staff is cold principal needs to retire. PLEASE DONT SEND YOUR CHILFREN THERE THEY ARE ALL BULLYS .Not intrested in childs well being meam mean teachers.

Posted August 13, 2013

Excellent school. St. Matts definitely prepared me to do well and succeed in high school. I attended Father Judge afterwards and didn't learn one thing there (even though I had a great time.) St. Matts gave me the education and the work ethic to excel in high school. I had a great experience at Matts and have been hanging around with the same group of kids I've met there since 1st grade. Now I'm off doing well in college. Probably the best school in the city and would definitely recommend it.

Posted February 12, 2011

It was an outstanding school that cared about the children and taught everything you need to know and made sure you knew.I didn't do much high school but still knew more that enough to pass an asvab test to get into the military

Posted November 28, 2010

I went to Saint Matthew's years ago and i thought it was a great school with great teachers!

Posted August 12, 2010

I agree with the parent who wrote that anyone having difficulty with their children at St. Matthew need to look inwards. My children are smart, polite ,kind children( which are values instilled in our home) and St. Matthew only taught them that in order to get through the school day, you need to be a bully! The administration deals poorly with student disrespect and bullying, and need to set an example by dealing with unruly and disrespectful children. I do not recommend this school to any family with good catholic values( since we are looking inwards) and would recommend that people start taking bullying more seriously. Yes, there are challenging children everywhere. However, at St. Matthew these children are given too many warnings and continue their bad behavior. If this is the discipline that we should expect in our home, we are in BIG trouble!

Posted June 18, 2010

Anyone having difficulties with their child in St. Matthews need to look inwards. The school offers an exceptional education for the children who want it. Parents who get involved with the school will quickly see the outstanding opportunities and the dedicated staff at all levels. Tuition will be a hurdle at every Catholic School, don't portray St. Matts as the only school who is diligent in collecting payments. St. Matts has a large enrollment but they still keep their classroom sizes to under 25 students. In reference to another parents review, I have two polite children attending St. Matts and they do quite well and do not get bullied. Good Luck finding any school that doesn't have its share of challenging students. The principal,Sister Kathleen, runs a tight ship and she expects the children to maintain the same discipline as we should expect of our children at home.

Posted June 8, 2010

Horrible school is all i can say.. Teachers .. principal... etc..etc.. caring no.. respectful no.. all checks payable to st matthew yes.. yes and yes

Posted May 21, 2010

What a terrible year at St. Matt's! I would absolutely NOT recommend this school. The staff is rude and the teachers are uncaring. We made a huge mistake sending our child there after our parish closed. We thought love and friendship and respect were taught at all Catholic schools but we were wrong. He experienced a year of bullying which got worse after it was reported. However, they are on top of tuition payments for sure! The tuition warnings are intimidating and ignorant. They do not care at all about your financial situation. COLD staff! Very clique-y. If your child is a bully, he/she will fit right in and won't face a single consequence. If your child is bright and considerate, choose a smaller catholic school or even a public school. Any place other than ST.MATTS!!! Don't make the same mistake we did! Good luck!

Posted May 2, 2010

It's important to think about why you are interested in sending your children to a Parochial school and to recognize that affording the tuition may require sacrifices in other areas of your life (and checkbook)... especially for single parents and for anyone affected by the current economic conditions. To me - the discipline, respect for others, foundation development for belief in God, service to the community, and honor for parents - all taught effectively and with care at St. Matt's - are worth any sacrifices necessary. I have a 3rd grader attending now and a Freshman in college who went to St. Matt's for 8 years. Is everything perfect? Absolutely not. Is is as close to perfect as I think is reasonable for us to expect. Absolutely. I can tell you this: In the professional world, I can always tell when I'm working with a graduate of the Parochial school system... there's an honor and ethical approach to work that is apparant. I believe firmly in St. Matts, in the extraordinary Principal Sr. Kathleen, and in all of the faculty and staff... Recommend without reservation!

Posted February 3, 2010

Having removed my children from this school, I cannot say anything positive about this school. It is very overcrowded, and very impersonal. The staff is overwhelmed and not easily accessible to parents or students . Due to the amount of students and lack of time or interest to address parent concerns -However, they are very interested in whether they have their tuition-,I would not recommend this school to anyone wanting a safe, personal and attentive learning place for their children.

Posted October 29, 2009

I have three children at St. Matthews school. The staff and the students are wonderful. The kids leave prepared to do great things, academically and socially. Sister Kate and staff do an amazing job.

Posted August 20, 2009

As a family we have felt very welcomed and appreciated by staff. St matthews has everything I was looking for in a school for my child. We feel comfortable and informed.

Posted March 10, 2009

II think the school is severely over crowded. St. Matt's has absorbed too many students from other catholic schools in the area that have closed to serve the needs of the children already attending it. Teachers can not focus on each child and many are falling through the cracks and falling behind. The staff does not get the support they need from the principle. The only thing that seems to matter is the number of students enrolled and the tuition collected for each child.

Posted February 18, 2009

this in fact is not a school I would recommend to anyone, the only thing wrong with it are the students! You're better off snding your kids to public school than here! and it may look good from the outside but I should know considering I currently attend this school...besides most of the students this school is ok

Posted December 13, 2008

I find the faculty to be one of the best. There are a few that should retire, but the others are awesome. I feel the teachers arent all treated the same by the principal and she can be unsupportative to their needs/concerns.

Posted December 1, 2008

i think this school is the best it is good education for kids and they have special programs for kids that have troble or have disabilties , i think that is great and all the students are nice too
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 12, 2008

My son attended St. Matthews School for eight years and is currently in his second year of High School. We had a rough time at St. Matts due to my son having ADD, but now that I look back on all those years of pain, I am so proud that I sent my son to Saint Matthews. He made honors his first report period in High School and never once did he need my help. Thank you St. Matt's teachers for providing my son with an excellent education!!

Posted January 30, 2008

This is one of the best parochial schools in Phila. (Our Lady of Calvary being another one). They push for 8th graders to get scholarships, grants, etc. to go to area high schools including 'elite' ones such as St. Joe Prep and the Mount. Also, they are working with one of my kids who is hyperactive; he is a now solid B student (occasional As) because they patiently keep after him to get his work done.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Philadelphia

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3040 Cottman Avenue