Philadelphia, PA

Posted March 19, 2015
I love St. Matt's so much. I'm graduating soon and I really do not want to go. The only bad parts about this year is the new principal and a new priest. I miss Sister Kate a lot, the new principal doesn't let us have anything. She canceled all the dress down days, she makes us pray together over the loud speaker everymorning and when we are about to leave, she moved the masses (with our entire school 825 people) into the church, and she hounds us constantly about bullying and uses curse words to do so. The new priest used to teach religion classes to the seventh grade every Tuesday and one day he is in a horrible mood and takes his anger out on us. Cheerleaders, basketball players, baseball players, swimmers, soccer players, etc. do NOT get special treatment. We are treated just like everyone else. Sister Kate wasn't a horrible principal she just believed in giving second chances. All the good teachers were lost this year most likey because of the new principal. Other than these problems Saint Matthew is an amazing school that I have gone to for 7 years and I strongly recommend it for anyone that wants to send their child there.

Posted May 12, 2014
WHen my child was a second grader we were going through the motions with doctors rxing ADHD and possible autism spectrum disorders. At first I felt they wouldnt accept my child, but after meeting with the teachers, principle and school counselors, they worked with us and made my child feel like he was cared about. They always made time for him and gave him extra help when needed My child graduated with honors and awards and we moved on to public high school. My child continually gets compliments on his academic progress and his writing, I feel St Matthew School is a fantastic place to send your child but you must be an active parent and address issues as they come, not with accusations but with an willingness to find acceptable solutions for both child, teacher and school. Thank You Sr Kate, Mrs Shicatano, Sr Lisa, Mrs Walker, Mrs Novack, only to name a few of the teachers who push your child to do their best, but also let them kow they care about them.

St Matthew School

Posted May 06, 2014
As a parent, I must say that I would NOT recommend this school to anyone. At one time, St. Matthew was a good school but over the years things have changed for the worst. The bad? I'll start off with the poor excuse of a principal. Catholic Schools are supposed to teach children to be respectful and treat everyone as an equal as God would. Not here. At this school, if you are not a cheerleader, a member of one of the CYO teams, or have a parent that is part of the Home and School Association, you are treated like garbage. The principal only cares about those students who make her look good. She is an arrogant, self-centered, narcissistic person who chooses to talk down to parents who question her about things, especially bullying. She is in abject denial that bullying is an issue when, in fact, it is a major one. She chooses to demean kids who are on the quiet side while ignoring the obvious discipline problems. Her smug demeanor belies her internal evil persona. If you are not one of the elite, expect to be treated as a second class citizen. As for the teachers, a some of them are the most impersonal uncaring people alive. I do not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted February 01, 2014
Sorry I sent my child there all about money staff is cold principal needs to retire. PLEASE DONT SEND YOUR CHILFREN THERE THEY ARE ALL BULLYS .Not intrested in childs well being meam mean teachers.

Posted August 13, 2013
Excellent school. St. Matts definitely prepared me to do well and succeed in high school. I attended Father Judge afterwards and didn't learn one thing there (even though I had a great time.) St. Matts gave me the education and the work ethic to excel in high school. I had a great experience at Matts and have been hanging around with the same group of kids I've met there since 1st grade. Now I'm off doing well in college. Probably the best school in the city and would definitely recommend it.

Posted February 12, 2011
It was an outstanding school that cared about the children and taught everything you need to know and made sure you knew.I didn't do much high school but still knew more that enough to pass an asvab test to get into the military

Posted November 28, 2010
I went to Saint Matthew's years ago and i thought it was a great school with great teachers!

Posted August 12, 2010
I agree with the parent who wrote that anyone having difficulty with their children at St. Matthew need to look inwards. My children are smart, polite ,kind children( which are values instilled in our home) and St. Matthew only taught them that in order to get through the school day, you need to be a bully! The administration deals poorly with student disrespect and bullying, and need to set an example by dealing with unruly and disrespectful children. I do not recommend this school to any family with good catholic values( since we are looking inwards) and would recommend that people start taking bullying more seriously. Yes, there are challenging children everywhere. However, at St. Matthew these children are given too many warnings and continue their bad behavior. If this is the discipline that we should expect in our home, we are in BIG trouble!

Posted June 18, 2010
Anyone having difficulties with their child in St. Matthews need to look inwards. The school offers an exceptional education for the children who want it. Parents who get involved with the school will quickly see the outstanding opportunities and the dedicated staff at all levels. Tuition will be a hurdle at every Catholic School, don't portray St. Matts as the only school who is diligent in collecting payments. St. Matts has a large enrollment but they still keep their classroom sizes to under 25 students. In reference to another parents review, I have two polite children attending St. Matts and they do quite well and do not get bullied. Good Luck finding any school that doesn't have its share of challenging students. The principal,Sister Kathleen, runs a tight ship and she expects the children to maintain the same discipline as we should expect of our children at home.

Posted June 08, 2010
Horrible school is all i can say.. Teachers .. principal... etc..etc.. caring no.. respectful no.. all checks payable to st matthew yes.. yes and yes

St Matthew School