No rating

Archbishop Ryan High School

Private | 9-12

Living in Philadelphia

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $180,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,010.

Posted February 10, 2014

Honestly, the staff in this school are terrible ! The south side of the school ( where the tuition is paid) everyone is lovely. Any other office if full of miserable individuals. They give you problems for anything and I do agree that it's more of a prison. We have a tracking system and the slower kids in slower tracks get not respect, they are treated like less than the honors and higher track students. AR does not prepare you for college and I HIGHLY do not recommend attending this school. There is barley any diversity in this school and the racial comments I've heard about other in my four years are horrible. I must say I'm more than happy about graduation this year

Posted October 17, 2013

Although this school has a terrific curriculum with many AP offerings, I just couldn't get a grip on what their mission was. I felt like it was a chaotic place and my daughter would not excel here. Something needs to be done to make the school appear more structured and organized. When we toured Ryan in 2011, my daughter was in grade 7. She is now a Freshman at St Huberts. I have nothing against Ryan, but my daughter preferred an All girls environment. Ryan didn't leave the same impression on her or myself that the area All Girls schools like Nazareth & St Basil's Academy and St Hubert's did. I think you have a lot to offer, but you need to market it better.

Posted March 6, 2012

i always wanted to go to this school but i am not sure if i am my parents are looking to send me to Masterman but i think this school is a much better choice for me.

Posted October 13, 2010

ARHS is a wonderful high school that helps children grow and learn in an atmosphere that is safe and accepting of all ethnic backrounds. They receive a quality education by highly trained and motivated teachers.

Posted August 26, 2010

The first few days of school, when I sent my child to this school, he came back telling me that he was being bullied by many of the students that attend this school. At an instant, I transferred him to another school.

Posted February 22, 2010

AR is a good school in all, but there are many things that need to be addressed. The rate of lockers being broken into is extremely high, and the faculty does nothing but blame the person who lost items saying 'they did not properly lock there lockers'

Posted January 14, 2009

Archbishop Ryan is a great school. Contrary to the other reviews, the school is not very diverse BUT it is improving. I am african american. My freshman year there were only about 15-20 of us out of about 2500 students Trust me; no exaggerating, we all knew each other. As long as you get involved and participate in any way that you can you will not feel lonely at this school. The teachers even invite you to join clubs if the see that you are lonely or even unenthusiastic. If you want your child to have a dose of the real world send them to Ryan. I guarantee they will become well rounded individuals. I never thought I would say this my freshman year but here I am!

Posted November 8, 2006

i gradutaed in 2003 and this school was the best years of my life. Because the school is big, there are a lot of different groups you can join with students and extra curricular activities. In my opinion the smaller the school is the more chance people will disclude a student. And the only people who hated this school were people who werent involved and just went to school and came home. Archbishop Ryan has so many different activities which is a great chance to meet people and find out the person within yourself!

Posted May 3, 2006

Tracking system helps students excel. Helpful staff and admin. Very family oriented.

Posted September 20, 2005

- good academic programs and tracking system helps alot. tutoring and good teachers. - more clubs and organizations than you can think of. - parent involvment could be improved.

Posted September 8, 2005

Personally I think taking a parents opinion is great but I have the great experience of being a current student at Archbishop Ryan and can tell you that it is like a home to me. I am a sophomore and hated school up to my freshmen year at Ryan but now I take school as work yes, but it's fun work and I know that if you ask any of the other students if they like school at ARHS they will agree with me that we spend much of or free time there because we love school!
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 19, 2004

The school it self is alright, but the student body doesn't vary far from white... We need to see more African-Americans is this school. Just a warning to any students who are being forced to go to this school. Be parpared for a bunch of really annoying preps. As a student there know I think of it as my own personal hell.
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 26, 2003

As a graduate from this school myself, I have seen the many changes that have taken place over the years but one thing that has remaind a constant is that the teachers (well most) are genuinely concerned about the children and tey to see to it that all of them do well. Many of them go that extra mile and become more than just a speaker in the fromt of the room and actually are knowledgable of the lives and activities of the students. The school itself is quite diverse so it is a good way for students to experience all different lifestyles and culteres. The students are overall a good bunch of teens who know that while school may be something they have to do they are also making friends and contacts that they will have for the rest of their lives.

Posted August 26, 2003

As a graduate, I am proud to send my son to the school. I had a wonderful time when I was a student, and my son has told me that he is enjoying his time very much. He says, 'Unlike grade school, they treat you like an adult here, not a child.'

Posted August 10, 2003

Its a rather large school. The quality of the education is generally fair but more or less left entirely up to the child to choose how much effort they feel like putting in. A ton of extracurricular activities are available for the athletic and the non-athletic alike. Its a good experience if you put the work in. The student body is very diverse so almost anyone can fit in.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Michael McArdle
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Philadelphia