Philadelphia, PA
Before care: Yes

Posted December 21, 2014
One of the exceptional aspects of NFA is the dual track of both the Montessori and Primary educational options. Be sure to look into both options for your children and talk to the teachers and NFA parents to learns as much as you can on what's the right fit for your child. Both programs are excellent here at NFA, and know that no two children of yours will be alike. Having been here now at the school for more than 8 years, my only concern as a parent is the tone that the Head of School sets upon the school. While she has made great strides in improving the school (including having it named in 2014 as a Blue Ribbon School), she really could foster a totally different energy and vibe at the school, and lighten up around students, parents, and staff. Fortunately, as noted in other reviews, the community of parents is strong, warm, and inviting. As the heart of the school, the teachers are top-notch and must continue to be given the opportunities to innovate and make a difference. My kids are truly proud NFA students, and the investment in their NFA education is definitely worth it.

Posted December 05, 2013
NFA is wonderful school with a lot of teachers who are so dedicate to their students. My husband and I are happy that our son goes to norwood. You will be amaze when you go for a tour to the montessori area. they are very close community.

Posted October 20, 2013
I looked at many schools before choosing NFA. I knew of Montessori principles from my undergraduate studies, but what I had seen in the pass was not impressive. I didn't even want to see the Montessori track that is offered at NFA which continues to third grade, I thought I would send my sons on the traditional track also offered at the school. I was blown away at what I saw. Students working in large open classrooms, choosing meaningufl work to complete, but with the facilitation of kind, caring student-focused teachers. I immediately started my research and went with my gut to send both of my boys to NFA Montessori. There education has been nothing but stellar and they thrive academically, emotionally, and socially at their school. Being a high school counselor, I know that having children thrive is not always the case. NFA works diligently to make sure each child is treated as an individual while delivering their signature academic curriculum that they are known for. I feel confident that the boys will continue to in this strong faith based community. NFA has become an extension of our home because their teachings are also what we hold dear.

Posted October 18, 2013
NFA is an amazing school. Whether through the montessori or primary programs, children as young as three are encouraged and excited to learn. This continues through their early education and fosters a schoolwide environment where it is "cool" to excel. As with children at all schools, NFA students excel in many diverse and sometimes simple ways, some excel academically, some athletically, some are very sensitive to the need of others, some tell great jokes, many do all of the above! What distinguishes NFA is that each child is free to develop their unique talents in an environment where they are heralded for their individual contributions to the school community. NFA students graduate confident, self-aware, socially conscious, intellectually curious and fully prepared to meet the challenges and academic rigors of high school. As graduates of NFA, the decision to send our children to the school came easily. As parents, that decision is rewarded daily by our children's real love of learning, their classmates, teachers and school.

Posted October 18, 2013
My children thrive at NFA, just as I did when I was a student there, and just as my sisters and many cousins did. So many of my best memories from childhood came from NFA, and my husband and I are thrilled to see history repeating itself with our children. Our children are constantly challenged academically. The Montessori program cultivates self-motivation and self-confidence which we know will serve our children so well through life. Our children feel secure and happy, because they are a part of a strong community of wonderful people. NFA infuses all aspects of student life with a profound spirituality, creating a sense of peace and purpose in our children for which we are so thankful. NFA cultivates them as athletes who show true sportsmanship, and they love participating in the arts programs. NFA tunes into the uniqueness of each child, and there is a place for every type of personality in this incredibly welcoming and inclusive environment.

Posted October 17, 2013
We are so pleased with our decision to send our children to NFA. We haven chosen the Montessori path and have found it to be the right fit for our children. They each have their own unique learning styles and the exceptional teachers there have embraced each of them and have helped them all to become successful learners. NFA's curriculum is challenging. It keeps them actively engaged and motivated to learn. I have no doubt that my children will be well-prepared for their secondary education. NFA spiritually engages their students through an extraordinary service learning program. The children are offered special opportunities to share their many gifts with others in need throughout their community. This happens throughout the school year and my children have truly been touched by their experiences with others in need.

Posted February 14, 2013
My children love going to school every day...to the point where they were upset to miss two days of school to go to Disney. I think that sums it up. I currently have two children who started in the Montessori program at age 3. For me, the Junior Level Montessori program (grades 1-3) is unlike anything I have seen at other schools and what sets the school apart. The children of all three grades are in an open classroom and work to both and help and learn from other students in their class. Independent work gives them ownership and accountability. As a parent of a child with some learning challenges, this has provided a challenging yet non-competitive learning environment. On the social side, for the younger children, the multiple age/grade classes is great. By the time they are 5 year olds, they will know their entire grade level, their entire class of 3-4 year olds, and all of the 1st and 2nd graders who were in their 3-5 class. Going to 1st grade is exciting to see which older kids they will rejoin. Sounds confusing in print, but it creates a very close community for the kids that also carries over to the parents. All in all a great school.

Posted May 18, 2011
NFA is an outstanding school which prepares its students to go onto the next level of educational opportunities. They have an incredible array of co-curricular groups/sports for our children to join in. Especially wonderful in this day and age considering the cost cutting measures most schools are having to deal with.

Posted April 18, 2011
Norwood Fontbonne is a great school with an amazing Montessori program. The students stay in the same class for the pre-school years (3-5) and then move up to the Junior level for 1-3rd grade, which creates a unique mentoring environment for the children. The students work at their own pace and the teachers are a wonderful balance of nurturing and fostering of the students' independence. The teachers are dedicated and you can see through their teaching that they have a true calling. The classrooms are spacious and open and the students have beautiful materials to work with. When we visited Norwood, we were blown away by the learning environment and the mutual respect of the teachers and students. I highly recommend visiting the school to see the classes in action. It's a very illuminating experience. We have been more than pleased with the teachers, curriculum and the community. Norwood has a very active parent association which raises a considerable amount of money for the school and for charity. Community service is also a focus which provides a great example for the students. The group is very inclusive and friendly.

Norwood-Fontbonne Academy 4

Posted October 08, 2010
NFA is a fine school, with dedicated teachers who uphold high academic standards as well as a broad and challenging curriculum. The relationship between the recently replaced Principal and parents varied significantly. Favoratism sometimes prevailed. In contrast, Mrs., Wood the new Head of the Upper School has an very good relationship with most parents and is not prone to favoritism. All of the issues regarding the past Principal hopefully in aqua pasada. Any attempt to portray the negative influence she had on the school environment and on enrollment is patently false. Just last week I encountered a parent of a student who transferred out because of the Principal. He will not be attending a Catholic High School because of his experience with said Principal. Thankfully, the SIsters of St. Joseph, with the Lord's guidance, have now set the school back on a the correct path. Parent involvement is excellent.

Norwood-Fontbonne Academy
8891 Germantown Ave, Philadelphia, PA  19118
Last modified Norwood-Fontbonne Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Norwood-Fontbonne Academy Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top