Philadelphia, PA

Posted March 21, 2014
Some of the non-sense issues I have seen parents complain about are specifically around their child being below average or needing special education. Calvary is a fantastic school and has been that way for my kids for the past 6 years. They tend to cater to above average kids more as they have a tracking program that starts in 3rd grade. My older boys are scoring at the highest percentile in their teranova testing and both have 95+ averages. The teachers are fantastic, the curriculum is challenging the way it should be, and I highly recommend it.

Our Lady Of Calvary School 3

Posted July 19, 2011
Our son has attended this school since pre-K and is now on his way to second grade. We feel he has had some awesome teachers up until first grade. The 1st grade teacher's method of communicating our sons behavior was poor at best. He was sent home daily with a calendar which works on a number system to indicate if he misbehaved and how. The problem is that we could not gleem the true issue based on this. To complicate and frustrate the matter there were multiple instances in which we were notified days after an incident. When we addressed the poor communication with the teacher we informed that our son should be able to tell us about his day. While that maybe true one would hope a teacher would be willing to take less than 2 minutes to explain the issue when questioned. We are paying for this education! Just imagine trying to gather facts from a 1st grader about their misbehavior several days after an incident. We are giving OLC another year in hopes that this was one bad apple and not a pattern forming. In pre-K and Kindergarten our involvement in our sons classroom performance and behavior was highly encouraged and I hope that to be our experience with 2nd grade.

Posted February 15, 2010
By and far the best grade school in N.E. Philadelphia. Look at the quality of students graduating yearly and you can see that this school is producing fine young Americans and Christians. Our son attends OLC and we believe his Catholic education and what he is learning is worth every penny. As for public schools in the area, no offense, but 'free' doesn't equate to 'best'.

Our Lady Of Calvary School 0

Posted January 25, 2010
I've had four children go through OLC and for the average student it's a great school, for most above average students it is also a great school. Although Sister Mildred (the principal) does try to help kids that are struggling, sometimes the staff isn't as receptive. My 2 above average kids had little to no problems, both easily got into Prep schools and got good grades, etc, my average student got good grades, learned, no problems. My child with ADD had nothing but problems, and at times seemed to be looked at as a problem to his instructors. Overall I love the school, would recommend to others, but with caution if your child has any form of LD.

Posted June 18, 2009
My child just graduated from OLC and I am so thrilled with the education she has received! I am going to miss it, the faculty and Sister Mildred

Posted March 20, 2009

Our Lady Of Calvary School 0

Posted November 18, 2008
My son, went to OLC for eight years and I believe he is the fine young man he is today because of the private Catholic education he recieved at OLC. Being a single mother living in Philadelphia I had checked out the alternative nearby schools and was shocked at the comparison with OLC. My son learned to respect authority, classmates and himself. He was instilled with a strong sense of right and wrong and accountability. I too attended private Catholic school and I believe that fact has made me the strong mother, wife and caring person I am today. Sr Mildred is an involved, caring Principal and there is not much that doesn't get by her as in who needs help, who is on a path that could lead to uncertain consequences etc. If I had my sons' education to do over I wouldn't hesitate on choosing OLC.

Posted May 14, 2008

Our Lady Of Calvary School 4

Posted May 07, 2008

Our Lady Of Calvary School 4

Posted April 20, 2008
OLC is an excellent school. Sister Mildred is a hands-on, dedicated principal. She is the reason why the school is such a success. My one complaint would be some of the teachers. Most of the staff is wonderful but there are always those few that ruin it for the rest. Some are teaching young students with the mentality of teaching eighth graders. Not very encourging at all to the young, impressionable minds of the little ones. Also, some tend to be unavailable and closed off to parents thoughts and concerns. They seem to have the motto of their way or the highway.

Our Lady Of Calvary School
11023 Kipling Lane, Philadelphia, PA  19154
Last modified Our Lady Of Calvary School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Our Lady Of Calvary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top