Our Lady of Ransom School

Private | PK-8

Living in Philadelphia

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $107,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $960.

Sweep tile

Posted September 22, 2009

Ransom is a great school! My oldest graduated in 2005 and my youngest in currently at OLOR. It really has been the best experience for both boys! It's like having your own private academy right here in Phila! The class size is awesome and the teachers are really great1 I'd recommend it to anyone!

Posted February 24, 2009

I currently have 1 child in OLOR and my other 3 chilren graduated from OLOR. I also went to the school. It is a great school! The classes are small so it's like going to private school. The teachers are all excellent! The principal, Ms. McGuirl, and our Pastor, Father Redcay, both work very hard to make the school and church interesting for the children. They get a great education. My other children graduated from there, one is in college now, one will go in the fall, and the other is a freshman. If you are thinking about where to send your kids go look at Ransom!!

Posted November 3, 2008

Our Lady of Ransom is alive & well. We provide an excellent education to students from Pre-K to 8th grade. We did not raise the tuition last year but added a Spanish teacher in all grades. Our students are eagerly recruited by all local high schools. We have many social activities for all ages.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 26, 2007

My child has been going here a few years now and in the beginning i thought it was a good school but now that there has been a decline in students it seems their asking for more money and if they dont get it they will continue to raise tuition like they have done for the past couple years its ridiculous.Tuition here is like sending your child to a private hs. Last year my child did receive what i believed to be too much homework, and now this year its one project after the other..is

Posted November 20, 2007

this school has good things and bad things but they need to let the students socialize with other grades because not everyone gets along with people in their own grade. this school gives way to much homework. and too many projects at once. they need to have more sports teams and more events.

Posted September 26, 2007

I just transferred my daugther to this school and she loves it. The classroom size is just right and she really understands the lessons. In just about 2 weeks I have noticed a complete change in my daughter's attitude towards learning. She wants to learn ! Which of course makes my husband and I very happy with the decision we made in sending her to OLOR.

Posted October 21, 2006

I have two children in OLOR and have two children that have graduated. The school is excellent! The teachers are the best! I wouldn't send my kids anywhere else. The class size is small so it's like sending you children to a private academy for a great price. I would recommend anyone looking for a new school or to switch schools to call for an appt to see the school. I graduated from the school and its still a great school and parish after all these years!

Posted December 8, 2005

I believe that this school has changed their ways a little too much. As a former student there they really have changed and took out the great things about. I do agree there is way too much homework givin and I am in college and have less then that.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted November 8, 2005

I am a former student of OLOR. The academic program in my opinion is excellent. There is a new, developing music program, and an art program unsurpassed by many other diocesan schools. I would highly recommend OLOR.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 25, 2005

I am a student at Our Lady of Ransom. I've been in this school since I was in kindergarten, and now I'm in seventh grade. My school has been open since my dad was in grade school almost 25 years ago! My school gives great education to every race,color, and nationality. This weekend, our parish celebrates 50 years. I really do love my school, and when I head off to high school I'm gonna be very sad, but I will remember all the memories I had here at the best school!
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 9, 2003

My daughter has been in this school for the past 7 years. I feel it is a good school but they tend to give way too much homework. She has come home with a bookbag so heavy that she can hardly carry it and has spent up to 3-4 hrs. doing homework. I have mentioned this to the teachers several times......but nothing has been done. The onlyother complaint that I have would be that I feel that they could do alot more to help their students,when they are having trouble in a particular subject..........As far as helping them to comprehend. Other than that,it is a very good school.

Asian 11% N/A
Two or more races 8% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Philadelphia

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6740 Roosevelt Blvd