No rating

Friends Select School

Private | PK-12 | 552 students

Living in Philadelphia

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $416,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,250.

Posted May 21, 2011

I pulled my oldest child (end of first grade) because he wasn't learning to read fast enough and the school kept pushing us to "do something" as opposed to taking on the challenge. Interestingly my younger child's teacher didn't know he could read until week 6 of school when he was reading a book to me during drop off! Clearly, there is a problem with teaching. With that being said, Friends produces the NICEST children. But for 20k I want educated and nice :)

Posted April 17, 2011

I have had children in grades pre-K through 4th at Friends Select and overall my experience has been excellent. In the lower grades, one teacher and one assistant per classroom means an 8- or 9-1 ratio, which is tremendous. Of the 20+ teachers (classroom and specialists) that I have experienced, I have found all but one to be completely engaged and right on target for the children. There is a wonderful focus on seeing the light in each member of the community, and I appreciate that. However, they are generally teaching to the slightly above average child. If your child has learning differences, or wants a super challening environment, this will probably not be the right place.

Posted March 8, 2010

My son is in Kindergarten, his second year at Friends Select. He absolutely loves school, and his academic progress has been outstanding. I am so glad we chose FSS!! A wonderful, supportive learning community.

Posted May 26, 2009

My child is finishing Pre-K and the school is truly excellent. My child has had a fantastic experience, with wonderful teachers (the main teachers plus the 'specials' - art, music, science, PE). Even at a very young age they have used the resources of the city with many field trips to great locations. From the Head of School to the crossing guards to the people in the cafeteria, every person I've encountered has been warm, friendly, caring and extremely competent.

Posted January 27, 2008

I currently go to school at FSS and i still love it. I have been going there since i was only 4 and its just great. My favorite part about it is actually knowing your teachers when they are not teaching you. And also knowing that your teachers will be there for you if you need them. Friends Select is not like any other school, and that is because you know everyone and you can have a relationship with everyone. We are actually coming to a time where the meeting house is going under construction. It is a little bit of a sad time because it will be the longest a lot of us have been out of that peaceful place since we were 4. We are a community that is very connected to our learning and our future.

Posted January 16, 2008

Friends Select is a very nice school for kids that can reach above and beyond.

Posted April 27, 2006

FSS is only getting better. The new Lower School director is responcive and welcoming. He has changed the 'tone' of the Lower School. Parent envolvment now seems welcome and the environment feels safer.

Posted March 13, 2006

Friends Select has so far exceeded my husband, and myself expectations. The children here are very independant, and are exposed to so many things on a daily basis. Computer games, science, recess, library, p.e, music, Art, piano lessons. There are just so many choices every day. There are a ton of parent volunteers. I am grateful. It's a wonderful place to send a child.

Posted January 8, 2005

Friends Select is a good school, mostly for it's diversity, resources, and extracurriular activities. The school is small, the type where everyone knows your name. Teachers give every student individualized attention. I give this school an A.

Posted December 23, 2004

As a recent graduate of Friends Select, I can honestly say that no other school could have prepared me better for college. I received an education with breadth and depth and have brought much of what I learned to my college courses. If I ever have children, I wouldn't send them anywhere else. The faculty are some of the most intelligent people I've ever met, and my fellow students were diverse and outgoing and remain some of my closest friends to this day. The administration is caring and accessible, and the school's resources get better and better. Going to school in such a lively cultural area, how could they not? FSS really takes advantage of such opportunities. A great place I will hold in my heart forever.

Posted November 24, 2004

Friends Select is wonderful school. A great place for kids to learn and expirence the world together. Not only accademically, but physicaly and emotionaly as well. my sister and i have attended Friends select over tens years now. Both of us have been here since pre kindergarden. Over the years Friends Select has become like a home to me. Everyone, supporting me and each other makes our community like a family. I have enjoyed every year here, and could never imaging going to school any other place.

Posted September 13, 2004

The school is okay, but it is not the best for the extremely high tuition you have to pay. The teachers aren't very good, and the school is very small. I am not a parent, I am just a 5th grade student, but I know just as much as a parent would know about the school. We are not learning on the correct level. You should really think before you send your child here.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 9% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• ADVIS
  • FCE
  • NAIS
  • PAIS

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious