Philadelphia, PA
Students enrolled: 1,129

Posted October 01, 2011
Lower school is rigorous and nurturing. New head of lower school is energetic, supportive and responsive to students and parents. The merger with Chestnut Hill Academy mostly affects the Upper Schools. Both Springside and CHA have committed to keeping K-8 single sex. Let's hope it stays that way, and that achieving the so-called "economies of scale" in consolidating departments doesn't adversely affect academic or teaching standards. For now, lower school is excellent. We'll give middle school a chance. Maybe administration will enforce school uniform standards by then. Most girls maintain an acceptable length on their mini skirts, but some are just downright jaw-dropping by how short they are. Overall an excellent school. Can only hope the trustees shepherding the merger between CHA and Springside keep academic standards and excellence at the forefront of their decision-making.

Springside Chestnut Hill Academy 3

Posted November 08, 2010
This school was meant to be on Great Schools is has everything good teachers good leadership and very hard programs,all of the above. That is why this is a great school

Springside Chestnut Hill Academy 0

Posted March 23, 2010
I am very disappointed in the college placement of the students and SAT scores

Posted August 11, 2009
My daughter attended Springside for 14 years, Pre-K - 12. She was challenged from the moment she started until the day she graduated. At Springside she found her inner artist, her inner athlete, and a life-long love of learning. The school taught her self-discipline, compassion, gave her impeccable study-skills and imbued her with the courage of her own convictions. The academic program gave her a deep grasp of international political issues and a love of literature, language and culture. She is amazingly well-rounded, self-reliant and independent--the school demanded this of her. Every girl should be lucky enough to attend a school like Springside.

Posted June 23, 2009
I have been at this school for ten years and I believe that it is a great school because it raises girls to be responsible and powerful in all aspects of life. The coordinate program with Chestnut Hill Academy is different from any other schools, offering the best of both schools to boys and girls. There have never been any major problems and everyone behaves and performs to the best of their ability for the most part, whether it be in or out of the classroom.

Springside Chestnut Hill Academy 2

Posted March 23, 2009

Posted February 11, 2009
I was skeptical at first of all girls education, but I've become a believer. In part, it's because Springside is neither a finishing school nor a place where girls are taught to feel superior to boys. Instead, it focuses on developing girls as leaders -- teaching them to be confident in their abilities, and willing to accept challenges. Academics are excellent, but without the pressure cooker atmosphere preferred by some (parents and teachers). Sports are improving. The physical plant is better than just about any other private school in the area, and the art program, in particular, is spectacular. My daughter is a lifer who started at Pre-K and is now in Middle School and she (and we) couldn't be happier.

Springside Chestnut Hill Academy 4

Posted October 20, 2007
I am a senior 'lifer' at Springside. I haven't always liked Springside, but I have come to realize it is the best place for me. I have always been quiet and reserved, and my teachers have always commented on this--for many years I felt like they were trying to hurt me, but I now understand that they mean well and are trying to show me something very important--I am my own best advocate. Sorry for any misspellings--the screen on my copmuter is messed up and I can't see what I'm typing.

Posted September 20, 2007
Excellent teachers, technology and physical plant. Sports have traditionally lagged, but a new 50k sq ft. field house and a new AD will change that. Lots of parent involvement in lower school, but the Administration tries to wean parents off by Middle School, which is truly in the best interest of the children. Unique among girls schools because of its relationship with a boys' school across the street, Springside can offer the best of both worlds to girls. My daughter has been there since pre-K, is now in Middle School, and could not be happier or better educated. Note, if you really like 'traditional' education, ie, memorization, recitation, lots of grade school homework and other standard curriculum items, you may not like Springside. They get the job done, but they do it a little differently. I happen to like it, but not everyone is so comfortable.

Springside Chestnut Hill Academy 3

Posted February 07, 2007

Springside Chestnut Hill Academy
500 West Willow Grove Avenue, Philadelphia, PA  19118
Last modified Springside Chestnut Hill Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
Springside Chestnut Hill Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top