Philadelphia, PA

Posted January 25, 2014
I am not originally from Philadelphia, but heard about GFS and its reputation as a great school academically, spiritually and culturally. When we were looking at schools, GFS seemed like the right place for not only our children, but us too. We now have three children at GFS and have been so impressed by the teachers and the academics, which are stimulating and our grounded in excellence in learning. Also, there is a strong commitment to Quaker values, the Germantown community and awareness and appreciation of others inside and outside GFS.

Posted December 10, 2013
My children have attended GFS since kindergarten and are now in 10th and 12th grades.. They have had a fantastic experience there, all the way through. My kids have thrived at GFS with the right amount of intellectual stimulation--never bored, never overwhelmed. Teachers work with the students and parents, and are always available for help or a question. The other families at GFS are truly amazing--you want to be friends with all of them!

Posted December 03, 2013
We have a middle school daughter in her second year at GFS. She is doing very well, and is happy. Why? Because she is intellectually curious, and GFS provides a stimulating academic environment. That's not all. The students are friendly and supportive of one another. The facutly are passionate and committed. There is a commitment to diversity that will help our child operate as an adult on all levels of society. Students are encouraged to have a voice, and discover who they are. My child's education is well rounded, and she loves it!

Posted November 11, 2013
GFS is a true gem. It has found that elusive combination of academic rigor, a nurturing and supportive environment, socioeconomic diversity, and passion for social justice. My son is learning amazing things, but most importantly he's learning how to be an active and engaged learner. And he loves it! He gets upset if he has to miss a day! We live in Center City and the bus is fantastic.

Posted November 04, 2013
GFS is everything I could want for my child. He is learning in a caring, supportive environment. His teachers know him and his learning style and are interested in helping him become all that he can be. I disagree with some reviewers past - there are many kids with learning disabilities that attend and thrive at GFS.

Posted November 04, 2013
My daughter has been a part of Germantown Friends School Community for 3 years now. I couldn't be happier with our choice to send her to GFS. This is an excellent well rounded school. The lower school provides excellent fundamentals and a love of learning. From what I hear and see the academics provided are challenging and stimulating but you also have the aspect of being involved with athletics, community service and clubs. I hear about the kinds of projects that the upper school is working on and I am really impressed. Everyone is really kind and supportive. I am so thankful that we are a part of GFS.

Posted November 10, 2012
Amazing school. My children are thriving on multiple levels. This school is the opposite of "No Child Left Behind" but rather "Every Child Reaches Their Potential". Their potential in Athletics, in the Arts, in Academics, in becoming good self actualized citizens of the world. And with academics it is not dumbed down - and the students rise to the challenges and become critical thinkers. And this capability can be applied across disciplines throughout their lives. Thank You GFS for what you are allowing my children to experience.

Germantown Friends School 1

Posted November 05, 2012
Academically rigid with inadequate art, theater and music programs. The inability of many teachers to address multiple learning styles results in heavy loads of homework\busywork. They may tout low teacher/student ratios, but in reality they are truly understaffed. This school spends a lot of time telling parents why they are worth the over-priced tuition, when ultimately they are mediocre at best. Other area Quaker schools have much better facilities, programs and teachers.

Germantown Friends School 2

Posted March 18, 2011
I went to GFS during the early nineties from K-6. Yes, the academics are outstanding, my brother graduated and his time at GFS has given him a great work ethic, an ivy league diploma and many opportunities . It is true however that if you have any type of learning or behavior disability no support is offered. I lived in Germantown, my parents both well respected academics and the parents were extremely rude because of where we lived. If you do not learn at the same pace as the other children, the TEACHER not the student will embarrass and scold your child. The children were in no ways bullies, the teachers and parents were. If you send your child here, you will no doubt invest in a very high level of education; the competitive nature, which is not very Quakerly, might leave some lasting wounds.

Germantown Friends School 4

Posted November 17, 2010
As an admissions student tour guide I am always asked the question: "What is the typical GFS student?" This question I tell them is impossible to answer with some many different types of students having different backgrounds and passions. As a GFS lifer, I can only think of three commonalities among students: very intelligent, hardworking, and down to earth. GFS is an extremely academically rigorous high school, which while being a positive attribute, has its drawbacks. Starting in tenth grade students start getting competitive with each other about grades, and it sometimes becomes overwhelming. However, that is really my only complaint. I have never come across a teacher at GFS who wasn't passionate about their job, and helping a student do their best. Because of the close-knit atmosphere, I have developed amazing lifelong friends. The urban environment surrounding GFS, which some could see as a negative, I think of as a positive. It is constantly making students aware of their surroundings and diminishes the stereotypical "elite prep school feel." I just want to thank GFS for a job well done in preparing me for the real world and allowing me to pursue my interests.

Germantown Friends School
31 West Coulter Street, Philadelphia, PA  19144
Last modified Germantown Friends School is a Private school that serves grades K-12
Germantown Friends School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top