Philadelphia, PA

Posted December 30, 2012
The school year 2011/2012 was the first year that my son attended Hope Church School and I would not recommend this school to anyone. First the teachers are very unprofessional and there is no disipline or structure. The school is not well organize and the lunchroom is in the basement with mold smell.You do not get the your money worth with this school. I did not enroll my son for the 2012/2013 school year. This school did not prepare him for the 8th grade.

Posted August 25, 2011
HCS does offer some benefits however has a lot of areas that are in need of improvement. They truly promote the Lord and loving Him as first priority. The children sing, memorize scriptures, have a curriculum based on His principles. I love that my child can ask questions, talk about, and sing songs to the Lord all day long. But I have had to supplement his academics. When we came, I was told that he would be able to move at his own pace through the workbooks as long as he tested well on the content. Not so. Many of the staff are unprofessional, talking on phones, their personal business and that of other students DURING CLASS TIME with all of the students present. They unfortunately over shadow the other faculty and staff that are excellent. Suggestions to help improve are not received rather they act shocked that there is need for such suggestions. Unfortunately, it appears that the staff leaders are more about pretending that everything is well rather than acknowledging their shortcomings and fixing them. The idea of this school is awesome, the execution not so great.

Posted February 17, 2011
Everyday that I drop my children off and picked them up the teachers are on their ipods, cellphone or whateva gadget they have. Not paying attention to the children. My daughter hates going to school everyday casue she says the teachers yells at her and when I ask if my child was doing anything wrong? They always say is so good. The best child in the class. So who is doing all the yelling and why. We don't yell at our children we talk and discipline with punishment. Then another another father parent and I walked into the classroom and someone had wrote PK-5 shut up on the broad. WOW!!! After that incident. I pulled my child out of HOPE CHURCH SCHOOL the following week!!!

Hope Church School 1

Posted October 06, 2010
The preschool is excellent. However, the school is the worst. You pay all that money and your child is not learning for the price you pay. I am a very concerned parent who pays close attention to my child and her school work. My daugther has been reading since she was three. Everyday I ask her what did she learn and she tells me nothing that she doesn't already know. The homework is for a preschool child. They are learning their shapes and colors. ???Phonics and reading should be taught in Kindergarten. You pay all this money for books and they didn't receive their books until 2 months into the school year. Everyday the children are running around & yelling. I askes the teacher every week how was my child doing in class and all she says is excellent but we still havent gotten into the good work yet. When then?

Posted August 20, 2010
I was totally surprised school yr 2009/10. First the 7th and 8th grades were in the same room with one teacher. Second the same class (7th and 8th) would be in the building across the street from the main building, therefore the class was crossing in the middle of the street in front of traffic, safety was a BIG concern. I was totally disappointed the whole school yr and would never enroll my children again. The teachers (that my children had) were very nice, contacted you every chance they get (to keep you aware of things) also, no school nurse on site. A new building is needed, to place everyone (lower school) together. No formal lunchroom, no lockers for students things, book bags were all over the small classrooms. The aftercare was a mess, kids not doing what they are told, no homework was getting done.

Hope Church School 5

Posted June 06, 2010
I have never read any parent speaking about the preschool/daycare which is better. Any parent who has babies through kindergarten have luck. The setting is very nice, children do learn a lot over there. All the teachers over there are very nice and they communicate with you...you can call anytime of the day and speak to your child's teacher. (even if they are in the middle of something) they also have assistants who help out. Who are also very nice. The preschoolers even wear uniforms. The curriculum is also an excellent one, they have lesson plans for the parents to view, homework is on a daily basis. Parent involvement is encouraged! The upper school...across the street (grades 1-6) teachers are very nice also, they even give you their personal cell numbers in case you need to speak to them anytime. My children in the upper school has had good teachers.

Posted November 10, 2009
My Grandson goes to HCS in the 1st grade this is his first year and you can best and believe it is his last year. The school is unorganized, not that clean, and its smells on some days. I have never seen a school nurse and the lucnh room is a basement with porch chairs for the children to eat on that is a joke for the kind of money they charge. A big dosapointment I see all the other rave reviews I dont know what school they are talking about,maybe they play favors which I am not surprised. Sign Diaspointed

Posted November 10, 2009
Classrooms are small and too many students in them. Desks are old and outdated. School is unorganized, gym and lunch in the basement with patio furniture for the kids to eat on. Never seen a school nurse, I am very disappointed in the school it is not what I was told

Hope Church School 1

Posted September 24, 2009
I heard good things about this school Hope Church so I decided to enroll my daughter. Since she has started I have been very unhappy. My daughter is in the first grade. I find her teacher to be very unorganized. the staff are unprofessional and they are not very nice considering they are supposed to be Christians. I thought the curriculum was supposed to be excellent and it is so easy for her it's pathetic. The environment is awful they never showed me the lunchroom/basement before she enrolled when I asked to see the school. Well let me tell you it is horrible. It stinks and it is dirty. I was in awe. They do not put any money into the school to make it a better environment. It was the worse decision I have made. I am currently looking into finding her a new school because this one is unacceptable.

Posted August 10, 2009
Hope Church School is a wonderful school! The teachers are great and so are the support staff. If you are looking for a place that is spiritual, has a great academic program and still fun for yor child, this is the place! If you have smaller children, check out the preschool. My children have learned so much at a young age and still had fun. They never want to go home. They love it! You will have to pay but every dime is worth it.

Hope Church School
6707 Old York Road, Philadelphia, PA  19126
Last modified Hope Church School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hope Church School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top