K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

My children attended the summer camp and with the way public school are why not give them a better chance. NOT this was a complete waste of 700.00 dollars a month. The principal hides in her office and does not address the issues with her lazy teachers. If you're a parent who has to work then this is NOT the school for you. Everything needs to be micro-managed to assure what they are saying is what the staff is actually doing. And when I questioned a teacher or a situation its then made out to seem that my child or children are having so many problems. But if my child was having problems, you see me everyday and have every means to contact me, why am I only learning of this when I have a question or complaint. Basically as long as I am smiling and waving they will do the same. But when questions are asked or concerns are raised. This is not the "family atmosphere" I paid for my children to have. While not all of them are having a bad experience the bad definitely out weighs the good when you are paying for it.

Effective school leaders: Disagree

How can you have effective leadership. My child's teacher has a problem with poking the students in the chest. Instead of addressing this issue I was told to call CPS if I felt like my child was not safe

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Most often times the teachers turn the blind eye and Ms. Lee is NO HELP!!

Amount of homework: Disagree

The homework sheets are not very informative and you want me to rely on a 1st grader to give a parent instuctions

I think Cornerstone is fine for children in Kindergraden and 1st Grade, maybe even 2nd if you get Mrs. Cooper. Around 2nd grade you should began to look for a different school. This school doesn't know how to address behavior problems that come along with the community. Although parents in the community send their children there because they want them to have a great education which everyone is entitled to, for many students, that home faith base is absent or minimal. The bullying and disrespect is extraordinarily high; children are fighting and cursing, parents are fighting and cursing, unacceptable. The only punishment I ever witnessed to the bullying was detention regardless if you speak with the teacher or principal; it's either your child deals with it or you leave. Granted, schools are a business but there should be some type of prerequisites for you to enter a faith-based school. As a parent who doesn't receive Philadelphia City Assistance, this is a real issue when you are paying tuition. My standard may be different than a parent who's child is going for free, but it shouldn't be. My child really suffered immensely emotionally from being at Cornerstone. Academically, the teachers do a adequate job teaching but struggle to help excelling children and children who need extra help in a class of approx. 30 children. Most of the teachers really do care, but it's only so much you can do with all those children and the vast amount of behavior issues. It is false their claim that the classes are small (again all about the money). I personally would not recommend Cornerstone to someone I know; if considering it, please do your research and make sure you are closely monitoring your child if they attend. Good luck and Thank God for options.

I met with the principal at Christian Cornerstone and I never thought I could feel so disrespected as a father and a man. My wife and I work fulltime jobs and she's been the one to take off from work because our son is being hit and has been hit by other boys and the school, teacherS, can't stop or protect my son. I finally went in to talk and the principal felt we were complaining too much and told me that "we" can "find another school."

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

My son has been screamed at unfairly by teachers. I say this, because other parents have been witnesses. Other students tell my wife. When my wife began asking other parents, they too were horrified by the teachers. The angry children are running this school and all the teachers can do is yell and be angry about it, and they are.

Amount of homework: Disagree

My wife and I have given up on requesting more homework. I am an African-American man with an African-American family and I enroll my son in an African-American school run by African-Americans and the education and caring at this school is a shame.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

No, none of these traits. Particularly it's disheartening because this is a Christian school! Poor violent behavior is not stopped, the teachers seem angry (though smile in parents faces) and the bullying, hitting, when a child reports it the teachers ignore it so the bullying and hitting continues and the bullies are defended by the principal who repeated to my wife, "Well they come from a good Christian home." Well my son does too. It's maddening at this school.

First, let me say Bravo and Thank You to those who post on here their valid complaints and concerns for their children only to find the Shameless staff at Cornerstone posting fake "that's not true" reviews. My daughter is a student at Cornerstone and has been for a couple of years. Actually she's my stepdaughter but I call her my daughter. My husband and I are stuck living in Southwest Phila. and All the other public schools are so dangerous, we had to sign my daughter up at private Cornerstone. The teachers are horrible, based on behavior my daughter receives an A but her work is a D- at best. The children at Cornerstone have behavioral problems, like 98% and I wish I could lie. My daughter has been hit, hurt, injured and I was working but had to quit because I was at Cornerstone that much complaining about, "Tell that student to not put his hands on my daughter!" Yes, a boy is hitting her. I had a teacher turn on my daughter when she learned my daughter was confiding in me about how bad school was. Yes! I am trying, we are saving to move out of Southwest and into a better neighborhood. There will be a book on Cornerstone (I'm editing it now), because the school is all black but those at the top are all white (why?). There are zero improvements and the school is a hazard. With a white part-time guidance counselor who is in over her head.

Last modified Cornerstone Christian Academy is a Private school that serves grades K-8