K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

I met with the principal at Christian Cornerstone and I never thought I could feel so disrespected as a father and a man. My wife and I work fulltime jobs and she's been the one to take off from work because our son is being hit and has been hit by other boys and the school, teacherS, can't stop or protect my son. I finally went in to talk and the principal felt we were complaining too much and told me that "we" can "find another school."

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

My son has been screamed at unfairly by teachers. I say this, because other parents have been witnesses. Other students tell my wife. When my wife began asking other parents, they too were horrified by the teachers. The angry children are running this school and all the teachers can do is yell and be angry about it, and they are.

Amount of homework: Disagree

My wife and I have given up on requesting more homework. I am an African-American man with an African-American family and I enroll my son in an African-American school run by African-Americans and the education and caring at this school is a shame.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

No, none of these traits. Particularly it's disheartening because this is a Christian school! Poor violent behavior is not stopped, the teachers seem angry (though smile in parents faces) and the bullying, hitting, when a child reports it the teachers ignore it so the bullying and hitting continues and the bullies are defended by the principal who repeated to my wife, "Well they come from a good Christian home." Well my son does too. It's maddening at this school.

First, let me say Bravo and Thank You to those who post on here their valid complaints and concerns for their children only to find the Shameless staff at Cornerstone posting fake "that's not true" reviews. My daughter is a student at Cornerstone and has been for a couple of years. Actually she's my stepdaughter but I call her my daughter. My husband and I are stuck living in Southwest Phila. and All the other public schools are so dangerous, we had to sign my daughter up at private Cornerstone. The teachers are horrible, based on behavior my daughter receives an A but her work is a D- at best. The children at Cornerstone have behavioral problems, like 98% and I wish I could lie. My daughter has been hit, hurt, injured and I was working but had to quit because I was at Cornerstone that much complaining about, "Tell that student to not put his hands on my daughter!" Yes, a boy is hitting her. I had a teacher turn on my daughter when she learned my daughter was confiding in me about how bad school was. Yes! I am trying, we are saving to move out of Southwest and into a better neighborhood. There will be a book on Cornerstone (I'm editing it now), because the school is all black but those at the top are all white (why?). There are zero improvements and the school is a hazard. With a white part-time guidance counselor who is in over her head.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

Spiteful. Resentful. Mean. Lazy. Two-faced. One is ignorant and you can hear her yelling down the hallway. Another teacher allows the students to just walk around the class. Another teacher screams at his classroom. Yes their is bad and poor behavior from the children but their school decides who they let in. They have the right, they are outside of the board of education rules and they can remove any student at any time and pull a name off their waiting list. I call that list the Desperate List.

Amount of homework: Disagree

I BEGGED every teacher for more reading assignments. I wanted my daughter to have more work and if only for my daughter to do it (and I wouldn't turn it in) because it would be me seeing my daughter improving. Teacher refused. Feeling, she might have to check the work. Four teachers refused.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

This is a so-called Christian school that wants to speak about black history, and have students do papers but the teachers teach from a personal point of view and not academic. Angry boys who hit girls and are not suspended. The verbal abuse and emotional harm done to my daughter worries me. Children aren't nice here and it's taking a toll on my daughter and my family. I have seen zero honesty, integrity and fairness. When my husband made an appointment to speak to the principal she told him if he didn't like it there he should find another school. We're less than a year away from buying a new home outside Philadelphia, and a great loving private school has accept my daughter.

I don't understand how someone on this site gave Cornerstone Christian Academy in Phila. a 3 star. Must be a disgruntled parent who found the school will not tolerate any bullying, kids have been suspended, some expelled. The teachers standards are high, they do not grade on a curve and if you see a C and want a B for your child, then you talk to the teacher, take the time to see if extra credit/more work, extra reading, your child doing more work may improve a grade. These teachers can't cut children slack, it is a disservice to the CHILDREN. But here is why CCA is exceptional. You will be updated by the teacher, spoken to, called, mailed, ask to meet, because the teachers WANT your child to do well. These teachers will love and care for and nourish your children but they will not lower their standards for your children. The work must be done, and I must say the 3 star someone graded them is not showing what I SEE everyday when I pick up my child and we walk home and I'm impressed with the homework she receives everyday. I am in close contact with other parents, and they all sing praises about CCA. Even the staff is top-notch and the principal amazing.

Cornerstone has been around for some time in the Southwest Philadelphia community. As I read these comments I am disappointed. I have sent children to this school, and have volunteered at Cornerstone on numerous occasions. The environment is safe and loving, and all of the alumni (including my children) I know from Cornerstone are on successful career paths, and they all give credit back to the school. Myself, along with hundreds of parents, volunteers, and donors support the hard work happening at the school. You can tell that the staff and teachers work hard to provide for the families they serve. Do not let a handful of other peoples bad experiences, dictate your perception of what the school has to offer. I support the school and I know many others do too. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK CORNERSTONE - THE COMMUNITY NEEDS IT!

Last modified Cornerstone Christian Academy is a Private school that serves grades K-8