Laboratory Cs

Charter | K-8

Living in Philadelphia

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $299,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $910.

Posted May 28, 2008

This is my son's first year at the Lab School and all I can say is good things. He is currently in the first grade and over this past year I have seen a great improvement academically. No there is no recess or extra curricular activities, but my son really loves it there. what really matters is his education, at that is the focus at the Lab School. We do all the extra curricular activites at home and it gives me more time to spend with him. I cannot complain about the education that my child is receiving.

Posted May 22, 2008

Education is king in this school , i don;t belive they ever heard that a child's mind needs a break after lunch to strectch their legs . gym is bi weekly the principals are mean and need to be retired and you better not question why they retaliate against the child i speak from expernce i like the director great vison and no nonsense but her staff needs some kindness or something my child learned a lot but gym , some type of break needs to be granted and my child got less homework this year overall a great school but they need some people skills

Posted May 19, 2008

As a single parent with a limited income, I wanted to give my daughter the very best education that I could afford, and I did! My daughter could read short picture books before kindergarten, now I'm having a hard time finding a book that will challenge her! She amazes me with the words that she can read, and how much she comprehends. My sister teaches 2nd grade in an affluent suburban Phila. school district. My child could form letters before she started at Lab Charter but she couldn't really write anything -- now, my daughter's handwriting is actually BETTER than my sister's 2nd grade students! Yes, I can admit that there was a period of adjustment with the homework and projects. This school does require a strong parental committment. If you're committed to a better education for your child, then this school is for you!

Posted April 26, 2008

This is the worst school ever. The teachers are nuts. It may seem like a good school but behind those doors it is a whole nother ball game. no recess, unreasonable teachers and principals, military school discipline, walking up and down stairs with heavy bookbags, and it goes on for miles. this is not the school you think it is. kindergarten may seem good but you just don't know until you experience the full effect. i may be a student but I know what Im talking about I was there.
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 29, 2007

This is a great school but it gives so much work that the child doesn't really have time to study. It's difficult for working parents here. I love what my child is learning. I just wish there was a little less homework. Here's a sample: 6 pages per night, a recipe report (5 detailed questions), 4 jumpstart book reports (5 more detailed questions), and french and spanish study. Don't let it be a week where the monthly book report and or project is due. All that is in addition to the above listed items. Oh and presentations must be given on the monthly book reports, projects, as well as reciting the weekly poem. My child is bright. So, it is doable. I just wish they left slightly more time for children to participate in other activities to compensate for the rigorous cirriculm. There isn't much balance but your child will learn.

Posted September 17, 2007

I previously had a child who attended Laboratory charter school. He had a great year in kindergarten. The structure was very good for my child. He was able to grasp the material very easily. However this school is not for every child. It does require a lot of work and it is fast paced. But the results were outstanding. My 2nd grader is truly ahead of the rest of his class And I still made him do the summer bridges workbook. I am truly considering placing my 4 year [old] in there next year. The only reason my son left the lab school because we moved out of the area. I pay a lot in taxes however I think I would give my second child a great start.

Posted August 21, 2007

My child just completed Kindergarten and will be returning September for the 1st grade. Yes, I agree with a number of the responses regarding the loads of homework, strict policies, and test scores...but in today's society, you have to work for everything. I sat with my daughter while she did her summer homework and let her girlfriend who is going to the 2nd grade join us and she couldn't get past the 1st sentence. My daughter has learned a lot in 1 year and loved her teacher and friends. I make sure that she has time to play directly after school before she begins homework and that she is involved in other activities during the weekend. I give her a well-balanced life, school makes sure that she has the education that she needs. I highly recommentd Lab Charter because they truly prepare their students for the road ahead.

Posted June 29, 2007

Warning- This school is only worried about test scores. Your child will not get a well rounded education here. Quality as apose to quanity when it comes to the loads of homework these children are given each night and weekends. The CEO Dr. Brown is very rude and the principal Mrs. Allshouse isn't very helpful. This school does not make learning fun. There is a very high teacher and student turn over rate. If this school is so good why aren't even the teachers staying. If the teacher don't like it, how can the students or parents.

Posted June 21, 2007

I am a parent of a kindergartner at the Lab School and I am ecstatic about what she has learned and achieved this year. I would be the first to tell any parent that this school is not for everyone. It is for parents who intend to be involved in their children's education, by ensuring the completion of homework, projects and attending monthly meetings. It is for children who want to learn and are capable of handling being pushed to achieve their maximum potential. This school is more than test scores it ensures that every child receives a free quality education and can perform at or above their academic grade level. So no, this school is not for everyone, because your child will sacrifice recess and in school extra curricular activities. But what my child has gained is worth the sacrifice.

Posted June 6, 2007

This school is not for everyone. The academics in the LAB school are the best. Their standardized test numbers prove how excellence this school is. The teachers are excellent. The LAB school has a no nonsense disciplinary environment. If you are not willing to work hard with your child and are not comfortable with the discipline this school is not for you. As for me, my child will continue to attend the LAB school.

Posted May 27, 2007

When you enter the school there is a sign that states Failure is not an option here at the lab! Pease read, that sign very carefully! The school worries more about test scores more than they do the children. The school has a very high turn over rate for students and teachers. This school is not all it makes it self out to be. Children should enjoy learning !

Posted March 18, 2007

This is my son's second year and most likely the last at the Lab. At first meeting the school presented itself as a well-rounded academic institution. This school is academically sound, yet I am very unhappy with this school. As all the other comments mention: no recess, blanket disciplinary policies, very little physical education, minimal time to eat lunch or socialize, mounds of homework, very long school day, they throw information at the children instead of teaching them... despite all of this my son does very well at this school but he often comes home upset. He is losing his child-hood in the process. There are many academic plus schools in this area which offer students a well rounded and comfortable learning environment. The Lab should model themselves after these schools. Their students graduate happy and exposed. Parents know that this school is a serious challenge for the parent and child.

Posted November 29, 2006

This school is definitely not for everyone. Especially if you have more than one child enrolled. From a scholastic standpoint, the program is superb but there is no room for children to be children. The blanket discipline policy is an issue for non-problematic children along with the lack of free time/recess. My children faired very well on an academic level, but were beginning to dread the idea of going to school. My youngest son received a C for an 88 on a test and asked what he had done wrong. It was at that point that I realized it was time to leave. After seeking the best educational experience possible for my children, I've learned that their success lies completely in my hands regardless of which school they attend.

Posted September 22, 2006

My son has attended the Lab School for 2yrs thus far and I love it as far as the academics. I feel, he is recieving a great education for free. This school is Not for every child. They demand alot and the parents need to part take in their child's work, too. School starts at 8am and is over at 4pm with no recess. I like that because children tend to get into mischeif during recess. They do not offer extracurricular sport activities but they did offer a chess club last year and a few other cluds. I enroll my son into sports outside of school while continuing to maintain his work load. This school has zero tolerence for hitting/touching. Some teachers are a bit petty. The princpal is not too friendly. He needs to work on his people skills and learn, not everyone has something argumentative to say.

Posted September 22, 2006

This school is Worried About Test Scores Only. There is no communication between the parents and teachers. The principal at 4th and Brown(where my child attends) and CEO are Not open to comunication with parents. Any concerns you bring to there attention, will be returned with a take your child to another school if you do not like what we are telling you. Teachers are very stiff, None are warm and loving. This school is run like the Military except these are children. No Recess, Gym is once every 2 weeks, no brake time for the children from the time they enter school 8am -4pm. My child cries when he has to go to school. Parents this school is not what it claims to be. Each year there are new teachers, none of the teachers stay. Most of the children from last year have lft also.

Posted August 7, 2006

This school is a high academic school. If you want your kids to enjoy childhood this is not the school for you. This school has gone from a high academic school to a academic military school, where the kids don't want to go to school anymore, there is not a teacher/student relationship. I thought I found a great opportunity for my child, but I seem to have found a nightmare. Lack of communication rates a zero for this school.

Posted June 11, 2006

Academics here are on level but incredibly fast paced. This school may not be for every child or every parent. Children do a lot of homework and independent projects. School is very safe and teachers are very dedicated but the workload for children can be overwhelming.

Posted May 23, 2006

The school is very good education wise.But the teachers as well as the principal need to show a liitle bit more respect towards parents as well as communicating. And another thing where is the gym or the cafteria?

Posted February 22, 2006

My daughter attends this school and I must say, although the children have higher test scores than other schools in the area, Laboratory Charter does not allow children to be children! My daughter's day begin's at 8:15 a.m. and doesn't end until 5:30 p.m. With as much time as the CHILDREN spend in school, you would think they would be allowed to go out and stretch their legs and breathe in some fresh air during recess, but that isn't allowed at this school. The amount of work she brings home and has to do over her SUMMER BREAKS is ridiculous yet the extended hours from 3:30 - 5:30 doesn't include time for tutoring or help with homework. While I would like my daughter to continue getting the best education there is, I will not put her through this boot camp nightmare any longer and will PAY for a private school instead!

Posted February 10, 2006

I have very mixed reviews about corporate run schools; especially those that are housed in inner cities. I am all for education. However, I feel that the best possible way for a child to learn is in a nurturing, understanding, and very fair environment. I also feel the children should have access to learning in different ways, thus affording them the opportunity to understand, appreciate, and gleen from the way he or she learns best. Academically this school seems to be strong. On the flip side character building, communication skills, fairness, integrity, and explorative learning are evidently lacking.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2012.

41 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 74% in 2012.

41 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2011-2012 Pennsylvania used the Pennsylvania System of State Assessments (PSSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in math and reading, in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 11 in science. The results for reading, writing, science and math are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The PSSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Pennsylvania. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2012.

56 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2012.

56 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 82% in 2012.

57 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 65% in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2012.

46 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 69% in 2012.

46 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2012.

36 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2012.

36 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 60% in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 73% in 2012.

Female96%

All Students90%
Female92%
Male88%
Black90%
Economically disadvantaged88%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Female97%

This school District averageState average
Female 57%N/A49%
Male 43%N/A51%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

800 North Orianna St