Philadelphia, PA

Posted September 05, 2014
I have two children that attend this school and I really like it. I have one child in kindergarten and my other is in second grade. My sister also has my nephew in this school. My kids seem to really enjoy coming to school. I don't quite understand some of the negative reviews given. The school is $6,200 a year. I get some financial aide but my sister only has to pay $10.00 a week because of this CCIS money that this school accepts. So her son attends a good private school for practically nothing. Just like some of the other reviews from parents, my sister constantly complains about fees. Seriously $10.00 a week! I also have a daughter in middle school attending a very expensive private school that costs over $30,000 a year. How does that tuition even compare to Woodbine Academy's tuition? What I have come to realize is that a few of the very critical reviews along with my complaining sister, are most likely parents who can't afford to have their kids in a private school and who don't understand what a private school is about. After graduating from Woodbine Academy my daughter was accepted to schools such as Masterman and Gamp. I'd like the same thing for my other two kids.

Posted April 01, 2014
Woodbine Acadamy is the worst school in Phila. I'm sure it will be closed soon Let's start with the owner Whitfield very unprofessional and rude.She doesn't know how to speak to the parents and student appropriately.My child is allergic to eggs and the school is aware of it but they still allowed him to eat cupcake which contains eggs.When I discovered this occurred she had the audacity to tell me I should have taught him to not eat eggs and it was his responsibility.Then the following day pulled my 5 year old out in front of other and repeated "DO NOT EAT EGGS" 7x They are ridiculous.To add insult to injury they won't even allow you to have meds in case of emergency.There is also a teacher who handles the kids in a hostile and military type of way to keep the children in check, but acts differently when parents are present. You don't have to yell at children to get then to listen to you.Woodbine is such a pity school they even gave my kid a C b/c we didn't attend a music event we had to pay for.The Kindergarden teacher is the only one that's nice. I was there for 2 years unfortunately and it was a NIGHTMARE. We're so glad we left, my son is at a FRIENDS school and it's amazing.

Posted February 02, 2014
Woodbine Academy is an excellent school. All the people below giving poor reviews must be parents who faced hardships due to their lack of responsibility/seriousness/determination with this school. I am a student of J R Masterman, on my way to college and I would not be in the shape that I am in today without the founding steps of Woodbine. It was a nurturing and warming environment. You must be committed and ready to be on top of your work and take your education seriously. Obviously, those bitter about this school missed that memo. I loved Woodbine Academy, as they have molded me into a scholar who is bound to do great things.

Posted February 02, 2014
Excellent staff, excellent environment where education is not taken lightly. All the parents with there woeful reviews below were just too irresponsible to grasp that and we're expecting a walk in the park. I love the education woodbine has given my child. Thank you!

Posted May 25, 2012
My child has been enrolled in woodbine academy since kindergarten, and needless to say i hate this school! I feel for this school to black owned and operated, the have the potential to be so much more than they are. Not that race should be a determining factor as far as their success, but in my opinion i strongly feel they hinder your child from moving forward by not taking the time out to encourage/motivate the child. Unfortunately, parents have been taking their children out left and right and ultimately, this school will diminish if they don't change their ways and enable the true concept of early childhood education as well as a decent balance between home and school. They should be nurturing the leaders of tomorrow, not destroying their confidence. It's sad because I feel the time my child has spent at woodbine was a waste.

Posted February 25, 2012
My child is currently in the Jr. Kindergarten program at Woodbine and we love it. His academics has improved tremendously since being enrolled at this school and the staff is much better than the teachers in the Philadelphia School District. The curriculum is challenging, but age appropriate. My child is exposed to activities that he would not be given if attended a public school. I agree that the tuition is very high, but the student/teacher ratio is very low. I love that part because my child needs more attention than the average student. I have worked in Philadelphia School District and it is horrible. I will work two jobs if I have to in order to continue paying tuition at Woodbine because overall it is a good school.

Posted February 21, 2012
Woodbine Academy is a great school!! I am pleased with the eduction my child received there. I enrolled my child in Woodbine Academy at age 2 1/2. He remained there until 5th grade. I found the staff to be nurturing, caring, and very professional. They offered respect to every child and demanded respect in return. I watched my child develop academically and socially. The curriculum was challenging and each teachers made sure my child was equipped with the skills needed to succeed in the next grade. I admired the close knit relationship between the staff and administration. The warm atmosphere I felt the first day I stepped foot in the door, remained with me the entire time my child attended Woodbine Academy. Thank You Woodbine Academy for laying a strong foundation for my child and making the most important years of school a great success.

Posted January 11, 2012
I currently have three children enrolled at Woodbine Academy. I find myself currently wondering if it were worth All the hoops I jumped through to get them into the school. Especially since the fees are astronomical as stated previously by other parents. From what I've read in the last 14 Reviews (dating as far back as 2007), the outside of the school looks almost abandoned by this time, there is still a lack of playground equipment and I know I've been nickeled and dimed for EVERY little thing thus far. It has cost me, out of pocket to this point, about $500 and they are still sending the children hompe with poorly copied worksheets for homework. Initially, I felt that they went about and beyond for accepting my children for accepting my children so late in the school year but I really feel that it was just about the money. Ms Hawk and Ms. Johnson, the Pre-K teachers are nice. NOW, I'm told to apply for Children's Scholarship Fund of Philadelphia to go toward the $5,700 tuition for the 2012-2013 school year. I'm not sure if my children will be attending The curriculum is good and the school still offers Settlement Music school and YMCA. But my children already attend Settlement.

Posted July 11, 2011
AN EXPENSIVE MISTAKE 1)k curriculum is equivalent to a public schl vs private 2)make sure your child doesn't arrive after 8:30am they will have to sit with pre k class until 10am 3)parents are required to pay for ALL schl supplies & books,but all my child ever received werephoto copied pages 4) parents raised money for kids Gym & music, students didn't attend gym for half the year because the van was down or driver sick,ever hear of a plan B? Gym ended 4/25 I was notified 5/9 5) poor mgmt of finances by the directors The Whitfield team, in May the parents were told that Musical recital was cx due to lack of funds from March fundraiser, doesn't sound right to me. Who manages a business on a month 2 month basis? 6) unprofessional director, never return calls, but be sure you will receive notice of bill reminders. She is hard to find at the end of school year 7) during graduation teacher referred to a student as the best student in the school, NOW WHAT ADULT DOES THAT AT A KINDERGARTEN GRADUATION? The school that teaches to lower self esteem? 8) Very spiteful, It is cueently July and I am waiting for the director to allow the teacher to fill out my childs transfer evaluation,

Posted May 20, 2011
PART 1--The Administration (which is basically Mrs. Whitefield and her husband) paint this false picture of what Woodbine Academy School is like. But truthfully it s a one sided poor communication from administration. Parents concerns and questions are ignored and shunned for years. Not surprised by all the past post similarities. They building needs remodeling badly surprised with all the $$ we pay for tuition, field trip and every little activities. The teachers are paid by the school district so what is she doing with all the money she is requesting. The music class is canceled because she claims there is no money. The books are photocopied among the students she makes you believe the students have their own book to themselves in the beginning. It s funny because Ms. Whitefield owns her home right in the back of the school and it looks emasculate compared to the school. She is like a vulture when it comes to payments harassing you for money when you are only 1 or 2 days late. Makes you wonder are you paying her mortgage or her car insurance?

Woodbine Academy