Charter High School For Architecture And Design

Charter | 9-12 | 303 students

Living in Philadelphia

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $320,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,500.

Posted February 27, 2014

I graduated from CHAD a year ago and I have to say that it was a fantastic experience in most aspects. The Design teachers knew exactly what they were doing and they helped me prepare for my future in more ways than one. The only reason that I can't give this school 5 stars is because CHAD accepts mainly anyone. They barely care about any interest in art and design...they just want to fill their classrooms. Of course, you do have the occasional few kids that actually want to learn more about architecture and design (such as myself). Otherwise, however, the school was pretty fantastic. I am currently enrolled in college trying to obtain my bachelor's degree in Architecture and I am very glad that CHAD helped me gain such a good amount of experience to help me get ahead of the other students in my current classes from the start. Highly recommended ONLY IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN DESIGN.

Posted December 22, 2013

CHAD is a good school for kids who are really interested in art . there are A LOT of talented artist and designers. im in 11th grade and i really enjoy going to chad. in 9th grade the teachers are pretty strict with rules and uniforms but after that they lighten up a bit.if you aren't serious about architecture or design i wouldn't recommend chad. the students are also very inviting . they accept everyone.

Posted August 4, 2013

Chad is a great school and everyone is like family there. It show me a lots of open doors

Posted June 14, 2012

Well I heard that this was a excellent school my daughter teacher told me about it in fact I'm on my way now to drop off the application

Posted March 6, 2011

As a freshman student at CHAD I frankly dislike the way the 9th grade teachers speak to us ( the student) I dislike how we don't get to socialize with other grades and how the grades are segregated by floors. Chad focuses more on disciplining kids and those like me that are doing as told are deprived of our education. There is no diversity, therefore that means no new ideas and fresh thinking. A lot of students in my grade have already transferred or are looking into it including me. However when I talk to the upper classmen they say how they like CHAD and think it is fun. Therefore it may just be the new 9th Grade Academy on the third floor, that was just put into action this year that's failing miserably. The core subjects are a review and review over and over again of last years work there is just no challenge. Although having Charter High school for Architecture and Design looks good on a resume and college application, I think my education and learning experience is much, much more important.

Posted April 13, 2010

I when there with my son for the second part of enrollment and I thought the school was great for what I was looking for my son with learning needs.

Posted February 24, 2010

I student taught at this high school in their design department; when I first came to CHAD, I was a bit disheartened by my first impression. There were renovations being made, and the classrooms were not your typical art/design classrooms. However, once I met the staff and students, I changed my mind immediately. The students are thoughtful and intelligent, and while only part of them are truly there for design, they are all there because they want to take advantage of a better education than what they would be getting elsewhere. I was impressed by the caliber of student there. In addition, the teachers at CHAD were personable and greatly cared about their students; weekly staff meetings, house meetings and department meetings assured that teachers communicated and provided the best possible atmosphere for their students. I would recommend this school to anyone looking for a great education.

Posted October 20, 2009

School seeks only the best and brightest. Any child struggling to keep up will not have a good experience at CHAD. The school seems to weed out those students whether they are discipline problems or not. The Administration seems to be concerned more with their reputation than the individual student.

Posted November 3, 2008

Fine School Great for Design and Art ( The education leans heavily on Design not Architecture) All round good school better then Most public schools in the area, but has room for improvement...

Posted May 3, 2008

It's an good school especially if you're thinking about going into the art, design or architecture field. They just need to learn how to be consistent with their rules and stop stressing about the small stuff..

Posted November 4, 2007

Ecellent School..the chilkdren who go there I have observed, respond in positive manners toward each other and toward their education. This has been an outstanding school for my daughter! The staff, administration and teachers are exceptional!

Posted July 16, 2007

I been at Chad for 2 years now and i'm going to 11th grade this year. I think it is a very good school and is great for college prep and thing of that nature!!!

Posted January 9, 2005

I have gone to CHAD for 2 years and it wil be a good school in the future but right now it is not as good as schools like DASH. Administration puts disipline before students needs. We have basically no extra curricular activities. Curriculem is very slow hence our poor test grades. Also dosent prepare for college even though they call classes college prep.

Posted August 26, 2003

This school has changed my child's life. CHAD is the best school in the world.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2012.

122 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2012.

120 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 42% in 2012.

122 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2012.

131 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2011-2012 Pennsylvania used the Pennsylvania System of State Assessments (PSSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in math and reading, in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 11 in science. The results for reading, writing, science and math are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The PSSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Pennsylvania. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

Black76%
Economically disadvantaged74%
Students with disabilities (IEP)42%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Female 53%N/A49%
Male 47%N/A51%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now