Public charter
Philadelphia, PA

Posted September 06, 2014
This school is a prelude to sending your child to prison. Older children playing football before school starts, in a lot adjacent to the auditorium, is ok but their language is horrible, using the F*** word loudly as parents walk by. These boys are not being supervise by school officials, principal is not present to meet and welcome students to a new day at school. A bell in ring and the children head toward a large auditorium and take a seat. The noise level is unbelievable and administration is taking zero steps to solve this issue. Daroff's test scores are in the 30% to 50% for math and reading forget about the test scores for science, its too low to discuss. The administration is during a disservice to this West Philadelphia community by not educating its children. If you want want your child to be in the fast for prison, go ahead and sent them to Daroff School.

Posted February 18, 2014
This school was improving for a while, but over the past 2-3 years it has gone into a downward spiral. The school climate used to a little chaotic but positive, now the climate is very negative. Many talented longtime teachers are leaving to teach elsewhere, and some have quit mid year. It is very sad to see a school that once had so much potential failing the students.

Universal Institute Cs 2

Posted April 19, 2012
My child has attended this school since Pre-K, and is currently in 3rd grade. In my opinion the school has changed for the worst with each passing year, and I am currently looking into transferring my child ASAP. A lot of the staff that were orignally there when my child started have now moved on to other schools, and I can see why. The staff are unprofessional and at times have said unappropriate things to the children on several occasions. Not only has the staff gotten worst so have the children. Frankly the school is becoming very "GHETTO"

Posted February 24, 2012
My son attended Universal for kindergarten and it was a horrible experience. I had to pull him out halfway through the year and send him to a private school. In my son's class, I observed children constantly hitting and fighting.. there was so much anger and aggression. I saw children leaving the classroom without permission, yelling, cursing, being defiant, hitting adults and the list goes on and on. The administration provided the teacher with very little support for her problem children, she was left to deal with it. It is very important to visit your child's classroom because you never fully know what's going on unless you visit. I predict that Universal will continue to go down because they are tolerating too many problem children. Be careful about sending your child to this school.. I would prefer to pay then to have my child at Universal. I did like the curriculum a lot.. but if the class is out of control, it takes away from the instructional time. So to sum up everything, the school lacks discipline.. I do not recommend it at all.

Universal Institute Cs 5

Posted February 16, 2011
I have had a great feeling about Universal Institute Charter School from day one. That means even before my son was accepted by the school. Ms. Saba attended to and answered all my questions beyond expectation. She did her job professionally and with a wonderful attention, and so have been 99% of the teachers whom I met there. I have a son who is now a 6th grader, and a daughter who is in the kindergarten class. Ms. Jordan who teaches Kindergarten students is a great teacher, and you could not expect better, because she always does the best you would expect of a teacher. My family are not originally from America, but there has never been a single day that a teacher or the students treat my kids or us(parents) differently. This includes the principal and the assistant principal, Miss Zenobia Shah, who you would always see at UICS everyday from 7 to 7. Yes, from a.m to p.m! Thank you, UICS! We love you

Universal Institute Cs 5

Posted October 14, 2010
I love this school. I had three sons attend UICS. K-8, 1-8 & 5-8; My oldest is an high school graduate currently working for Avis rental car & part time student. Middle son current in High School 12th preparing for College. Baby boy in High School 11th grade. My babygirl currently attends UICS; she's in K. My boys grown up to be caring/compassionate and discipline young men. I just love this school.

Universal Institute Cs 3

Posted September 04, 2010
This is my 3rd year at UICS. It's not perfect but they are getting there. Each year new and wonderful ideas are being added to UICS' program. This year I am so excited and I look forward to welcoming in a new bunch of students. We have and exciting year planned for the students. However, I am going to need the help of all my parents for this to work. Turn off the TV, put the video/hand games away until the weekend. Read to your child, have your child read to you, then read together. Don't have time to read to your child, download books from the Free Library of Philadelphia - it's FREE! I downloaded books this summer and listened to them while I was working around in my house and in my garden. It's great!

Posted June 22, 2010
This is my sons first and last year at this school. i have had nothing but bad experiences at this school from the very first day. Ms Dixon does not know how to care for your child. She leaves them on field trips, doesnt call in case of emergencies,leaves the children in a class by themselves, calls out of work all too often and talks to parents like she doesnt have a clue in the world. Now on to the school, this is the most unorganized school place i have ever been involved in. Half of the time when you come to pick ur kid up they do not know where they are. the phones are never picked up and lets not even talk about the unprofessionalism between secretary and parents. Principals are ot responsive to your requests. the only person in that school that has any sense is Ms.Saaba

Universal Institute Cs 0

Posted May 13, 2010
I think its not a good school because they critacise they students too much.If you not smart or good they frown on you. Also half the staff is Muslim and they show favotism to their own poeple.

Universal Institute Cs 0

Posted April 19, 2010
Universal Institue Charter School is noit just a school. It's a place that not only has the best interest of the child but the best interst of the family.

Universal Institute Cs
800 South 15th St, Philadelphia, PA  19146
Last modified Universal Institute Cs is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Universal Institute Cs Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 44 reviews. Top