Public charter
Philadelphia, PA

Posted September 05, 2014
May not be the best program for first graders, there is no recess or gym. The expectations were not realistic for first graders that do not have recess or gym. You cannot expect first graders to sit down all day without a physical activity and behave well. First graders need physical activity. As a parent, I thought not having gym or recess would be so problematic, but it is.

Math Civics And Sciences Cs 1

Posted April 15, 2013
I am an alumni of MCSCS, I've attended this school from 5th-12th. Grades 5th - 7th I've actually learned something and was able to understand the teachings. It was my later years where the struggle began. The grading methods is VERY POOR! NO child can fail, NO child receives less than a C, regardless if you actually work or not. Throughout my years of attendance, many teachers have tried to encourage me to attend another school. Regretfully, I stayed thinking it was a "Easy A", not realizing I was cheating myself of my very own education. There are plenty of Alumni's who came back for tutoring because they could barely READ! I would recommend this for grades K-4, any grades higher than that, RUN! Education is VERY important, and for the school to be so strict.. most of the teachers aren't qualified teachers. -_-

Math Civics And Sciences Cs 3

Posted January 25, 2013
I am a parent of a current student at MCSCS. I must admit I was a lot more confident in this school during the earlier grades. However now I am starting to doubt the grading system and the lack of technology in the classrooms. A write and wipe board as the only means of teaching? and lets not forget the worksheets of course. My child brought home a text book that was very old and out of date. Ummm........ a little behind the times. My child complains that she can not concentrate in class because the students are misbehaving and the teacher has to constantly stop to correct them. Im not crazy about the idea that she has spent years without recess and there is no curriculum for gym, which is a requirement. Over all I do think it is better than a neighborhood school. However now that she is older I am going to transfer her to a school with better technology, gym equipment, foreign language, updated books, and a more rigorous academic component.

Math Civics And Sciences Cs 4

Posted January 24, 2013
I used to be a student at this school from the 3rd-10th grade. One thing I can say is if I didn't attend mcscs I would NOT have had the academic skills I needed to succeed in life. I don't know what the other parents leaving reviews for this school are talking about, but I am one of those students who received straights A's but it's because I deserved them. I scored advanced on every pssa, Tera nova and any other state exam and when I transferred to my local public school in the 10th grade, I was way ahead of anyone on my grade and in grades ahead of me. I would only advise this school to get some sort of gym program because it raises health awareness; I joined basketball to fill that void. If your child attends MCSCS and isn't succeeding, my guess is that your child is the problem and maybe public schools would be best!!!

Posted November 05, 2012
i dont appreciate how ive been in mcscs for 3years and the grading system is very horrible! you dont even have to work to get an A. we have hard working people in our class and people who dont even pick up a pencil. i had to switch schools and now i know my true grades! i love the school i go to now its much better than mcscs. i do not recommend to put your child in this school if you want him or her to succeed! even the teachers are encouraging their students to go to a diffrent school! its very sad!

Posted September 06, 2011
I am in the 9th grade and i have to say, i hate this school. the only reason why i attend the school is because my dad pushes me to go. The hallways are small . The teachers are o.k but if someone don't understand the work that is handed out, the whole class would have to wait for that one person. This stops the other students from getting thier education. Another reason why i hate the school is because they dont give you your real grades. No one can fail the classes because the cao dosn't believe in leaving a child behind nor giving them low grades.

Math Civics And Sciences Cs 3

Posted May 19, 2011
My child attended MCSCS for two years. The school served well during those first two years...but the third year was a disaster! The third grade teacher had no control over the class. The owner of the school runs a tight ship... she is very tough and her expectations are high and she likes to brag about her school....but the school's tolerance policy is too strict. They expect your child to have no disciplinary problems the entire 12 yrs. that they are there..even minor incidences. The owner of the school... wants all the teachers to use her teaching method (that she created herself)...which is not used in any other schools. So when my child transferred, learning another new method of math because of the way MCS taught, proved challenging. The school has absolutely NO physical outlet for the children;.no gym or recess. Not even a 15 minute break to let the kids walk around or get some fresh air! The after school program is a joke...its just a babysitting service. The school doesnt even have a library. There is a computer room. The owner's motto is "I will educate them...and you (the parents) can exercise them." Overall...I don't recommend MCSCS.

Math Civics And Sciences Cs 0

Posted September 22, 2010
This school offers children to really utilize there skills as well as learn new trades that normally they wouldn't experience till 12 th grade I'd going in to college. The Mathematics, Civic and Science Charter School has them in a nice uniform letting them know this is your proper attire in why , because its getting them ready for the corporate world , not to mention they have an academics program for the children free of cost that offer things such as SAT Prep, Writing Club ,Engineering Club, Piano, Pep Squad, Math Club, Charm Club please I could go on in on this school is wonderful . The school has many great programs to offer your child where you will strongly about your child's educational growth they have a no failure policy and free tutoring for any child having difficulty. Just note I could go on in on with the information in the things I've experience so far from my daughter in 2nd grade and my son in the 7th I've never seen them more excited about attending school in there years of education.

Math Civics And Sciences Cs 0

Posted September 22, 2010
I have done a lot of homework on this school because i knew my grandchildren would be going this year and so far from what ive seen its all that it said it would be in there is only one word for that great.

Posted August 19, 2009

Math Civics And Sciences Cs
447 North Broad St, Philadelphia, PA  19123
Last modified Math Civics And Sciences Cs is a Charter school that serves grades 1-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Math Civics And Sciences Cs Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top