Wakisha Charter School

Charter | 6-8 | 370 students

WCS is best known for afrocentric learning and academic excellence.

Living in Philadelphia

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $94,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $900.

Sweep tile

Posted September 11, 2008

I think this school is excellent i love it!

Posted August 1, 2008

I go to Wakisha Charter School and it is a great school !!!

Posted July 21, 2008

My name is Kiyhana Kinzer and I attend Wakisha Charter School. This going to be my last year at this school. This school has taught me things that i wouldn' t have learned in my neighborhood school. The staff in our school is very well. All the teachers take their personal time to help us students. i learned alot of great black history from my teachers Mr.Dunn and Mr.Johnson. Also the rest of my seventh grade staff did. I like the way our school went on histrorical trips and the teachers got up and actually taught us something meaningfull. Our reading and math teachers really helped us when it came down to pssa. I really love my school. So parents should send their child to this school.

Posted April 6, 2008

The school gives good training and help with our work and the teachers care about everylast student that attendes the school

Posted September 24, 2007

Wakisha Charter School has proven to take full control of teaching our children the Black History that is lacking in other schools. My son started Wakisha back in September 2006 as a 6th grader and sure we had some confusion with the bus system, but I soon realized it was not Wakisha's fault. The administrator and principle was very instrumental in improving the poor service they were receiving from the bus companies, and so far this year it's been improved. We as parents must not forget the 'important' role we play in our kids education. Just like you dislike something about the school, be just as adamant when you like something about the school --- speak your mind. So this brings me to, I love the school and it's mission;however, I would greatly appreciate more communication with the teachers re: homework and special projects due dates.

Posted March 27, 2007

Wakisha Charter school is what I would explain as a afro-centric school. It teaches us about our history. I would have to say this school is not the best but it is excelling to success. I been at this school for three years now and is now attending 8th grade where there is failing grades but we will overcome these standards people think we are at. Wakisha is not the best but is not the worst either it is in the middle trying to accomplish goals within this school even no a lot of problems may follow. I love the staff because they are caring and want us to succeed. Example ms.Comerie and Ms. gill our excellent counselor.

Posted August 2, 2006

I attended wakisha charter school and I like the school. This school helped me understand the importance of my black heritage. Although the buses were late most of the time. That wasn't the school's fault that was Johnson Bus Service's fault. But overall the school is great and I enjoyed my first year and I hope this enjoyable feeling will stay until 8th grade. The NTA's were always making sure that the students were safe and felt safe in Wakisha. The teachers always made sure the students understood what they were being taught. I am glad I tried this school. It really made a difference

Posted June 19, 2006

I think Wakisha Charter School is an excellen school. Although it has had its problems the focus has always been on my child. I believe that the staff truly cares about the kids beyond the doors of the school. On numberous occasions teachers and staff members have taken the time out to ensure that my child has recieved a quality education, thay have kept me updated and my child motivated. Its is truly a family atmosphere there.

Posted April 6, 2006

My son attends Wakisha Charter now and is in the 8th grade. I am not happy with anything reguard this school and his last year there. The website to help parents keep in contact with parents is never up to date nor does anyone respond to emails sent. I haven't received a progress report for my kid all year and he has attened since 6th grade. When I called to ask why haven't I received any they advised mailing list was incorrect for 2 semesters. My son doesn't like his classrooms at all. He seems to think the other students are not focused and the teachers aren't helping to keep his. If I had the change to do over I would not have ever sent my child to this school.

Posted June 16, 2005

My son just finished at Wakisha Charter School after going there for three years. Even though it was a relatively new school, I was very pleased with the education that my son received. There were a lot of changes in the three years that my son was there, but I think that is to be expected from a new school. Considering that the school is around six years old, I think they are on the right track to sucess. I know for a fact that my son got a better education at Wakisha than he would have gotten at my neighborhood school and I must say again that I am very pleased with the education that he received.

Posted June 1, 2005

I was very disappointed in the professionalism of the staff and teacher stabillity. There was a constant turn over of principals and teachers throughout the entire school year. The music program was omitted just after 2 months of school. I think the school has potential, but there needs to be some immediate improvement. I will not allow my son to return there next year.

Posted September 9, 2004

My son has just started 6th grade at Wakisha. He is very excited about attending school. The first time that I can remember. Yes, the school bus is late picking the children up. So far we have not had any bad experiences with Wakisha. Looking forward to first report to see how he is really doing. The teachers seem to take a real interest in the students and the students want to learn. Will see how the year goes and submit an update.

Posted August 12, 2004

This school is horrible. The teachers are not committed to the children at all. The administration did not stand by the parents at all. The bus drivers were always late getting the kids to school and home. The teachers sometime didn't show up to parent teachers night and the cirriculum, please. When I first came to Wakisha to enroll my daughter, I was lied to! This school is a disciplinary school. Not academic.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2012.

83 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 69% in 2012.

83 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2011-2012 Pennsylvania used the Pennsylvania System of State Assessments (PSSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in math and reading, in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 11 in science. The results for reading, writing, science and math are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The PSSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Pennsylvania. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2012.

110 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2012.

112 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2012.

85 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2012.

86 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 60% in 2012.

79 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 73% in 2012.

88 students were tested at this school in 2012.

All Students29%

Black27%
Economically disadvantaged27%
Students with disabilities (IEP)15%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students55%

Students with disabilities (IEP)7%

Asian 0% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Computer specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Math specialist(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Visual impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Foreign languages
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • Intensive - the school offers a full program for many languages and/or offers at least one very comprehensive program school-wide for at least 25% of our population
Languages supported by ESL/ELL programs
Foreign languages spoken by staff

Health & athletics

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Gym
  • Gardening
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

• Acceleration

School start time
  • 7:45am
School end time
  • 3:00pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 5:00 p.m.
  • Dr. Donna Comrie
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Differentiated Instruction

• Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Poetry
Media arts
  • Computer animation

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Chess club
  • Girl scouts
  • Homework help/study buddy club
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Math club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

9 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year
170
Applications received for the 2012-2013 school year
200
Students typically come from these schools
Alliance for Progress Charter
Patterson Elementary School

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Parkway West High School