Franklin Towne Charter High School

Charter | 9-12 | 966 students

Living in Philadelphia

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $115,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $930.

Sweep tile

Posted Friday, April 18, 2014

Franklin Towne Charter High School is one of the best high schools in Philadelphia, their curriculum is very good and Franklin Towne has a lot of clubs and athletics, also Franklin towne is strict and will not tolerate disrespectful ness or violence

Posted Thursday, April 17, 2014

Everyone thinks oh wow a great college prep school and they are so wrong. I am only a freshman and I cannot wait to leave the only reason I'm in this school is because it looks good on a college application. Sure some of the overly strict rules make sense like no phone or follow dress code but others don't. I know people who had their phone go off on vibrate in their locker the security opened their locker by force and took the phone, she also got detention. Most of the reviews are right students are afraid to breath because of the strictness of this school.

Posted April 15, 2014

I am not going to lie, while I was at this school I hated it. I never understood why there were detentions for everything. But now that I have walked away I see why they do what they do. It is a college prep school. You parents can say that it isn't and that the rules are ridiculous and detentions for being late to class don't make sense, but as a senior in college graduating in a few months I am more thankful for FTCHS now more than ever. Get used to it! If you're late to class in college you get asked to leave, favoritism is what your college grades are based on and mommy and daddy can't fix your problems in college. FTCHS sifts through the students and pulls out the ones who can't do it and distract others from learning. I made it all four years without a single detention. It is possible. Getting to class on time and following the rules are possible and they prepare you for how to act in the real world. My brother was kicked out after two months and I have to say he deserved it. If you aren't going to take advantage of the school then go to public school! I am grateful for FTCHS and always will be.

Posted January 21, 2014

Honestly speaking, from a Valedictorian of the school, Franklin Towne is what you put into it. Don't pay any mind to these silly negative reviews if you plan on being a student who works hard, joins clubs, stays to get help when needed, and works with the mentor program or student council or anything of that sort. I've even gotten a job at my college (which I earned a full scholarship to thanks to help of Towne's awesome guidance department) due to the experience I had as a Council Member of the mentor program. The staff is so dedicated to it's students when you're not one of the ones who causes trouble and distracts the ones who are trying to better themselves and prepare for college. I am now working at an inner city high school and can appreciate ten times more than I could before, the amount of college, SAT, ACT, PSSA(now Keystone), and scholarship prep and assistance. How I wish I had that help of towne's guidance in college for class planning and all of that fun stuff.. If you want Towne to work hard for you, you need to work hard for Towne. As with many things in life, you get what you put into it.

Posted January 21, 2014

I have 2 children in the elementary school and 1 in FTCHS. It is very strict and detentions in the high school are more frequent. It's about holding the kids accountable. They set expectations for their students and expect them to be met My son never had a detention either, he was given several early on, but he adjusted and is doing great! It's a gReat school!

Posted January 16, 2014

I'm at agreement with most negative comments. I am a junior at this school and have been waiting to leave since my third week there as a freshman. This school definitely preps for events with new parents and students to make it look, happy and fun. In reality someone says "I hate this" , "Franklin Towne Penitentiary" and other things everyday. This school comes off as this loving, family like, close nit community when in retrospect it could not be so far from the truth. Many people on here try to sit here and deny while admitting as well. This school is so strict that if a paper with your name on it is found on the floor, and you didn't know that's your fault you have detention. Also, its not just the students that walk on egg shells, teachers do too. LISTEN I'm not trying to convince you not to come, I'm just stating the facts. This school shows favoritism in almost every way, through sports, connections, student government. If they don't know you, you do not have a chance of being anything at that school. Finally from me to whoever reads this, really do you research on this school, I made a mistake and good luck on choosing your high school these are the most important years.

Posted January 7, 2014

Before my child started here, I was hesitant that FTCHS would let her fall through the cracks because of her struggles with learning. Much to my surprise quite the opposite happened. For the first time since she started school 11 yrs ago, my child is excelling in her studies and the staff has placed her in classes that teach at her pace. I couldn't be happier and neither could my daughter. SHE FINALLY ENJOYS GOING TO SCHOOL :)

Posted January 3, 2014

Half of you parents are idiots, it's the child's fault for the detention, I'm a senior now and yes it is strict but it's not like any other of those schools that let the children run like animals. And they're afraid to breathe because a detention wi be issued? That's a joke, most detentions are for latenesses, cell phones being on the students during class, going off during class etc. FTC wants to maintain this foundation just so they can be a great school, it already is a great school in my opinion...it's like a second home and it's a second family to me. Kids coming into this school aren't used to the rules being enforced as they are

Posted December 26, 2013

My Child attends this school and I read some comments on how the students aren't ablle to breathe.. well last time I checked the students are there to learn and have rules to follow, they do give detention but it's for not following the dress code, utilizing your phone on campus, etc. They are strict but it teaches them about the real world where we as parents can't always save them because in the real world there are rules that need to be followed. My daughter has had detention but I tell you she made sure that afer her couple of incidents, she has made sure to go over the stundent handbook which clearly defines the rules for the students. I like that they are very involved with the kids and involve them in many activities. My daughter loves it..

Posted November 7, 2013

My child started this school year 2013-2014. I must say, we all were very disappointed . MY child is a honor student, never had a detention, was always praised by the teachers . Coming to this school,already had a few detentions thats on record now for silly things . The students are afraid to breath because a detention might happen . Going to the open house , we saw all students happy and smiling . Thats what sold us (being in a happy enviroment and learning while at it ). Definitly not the case at all . The students were preped for that in my opinion. Quite a few students has already transferred and we are working on doing so also. I hope this helped some parents out there .

Posted October 2, 2013

franklin towne charter I need some help from students and parents. My son wants to sttend this school in 2014 but I read all the reviews and I just dont know what to do I love the teacher student ratio but there is so much negative reviews please help

Posted September 25, 2013

My child goes to Franklin Towne and I can state without hesitation that this is one of the most caring and progressive schools in the State. I am not sure why anyone in their right-mind would write an negative review of this school? They do everything to care for and educate a child to the utmost. Yes, they have rules, but they are open about their rules and their rules apply to EVERYONE! That is what sets this school apart from schools where the rules do not mean anything. Franklin Towne's administration and teaching staff are the most approachable group of professionals that I have ever had the chance to see at work. My wife and I could not be happier and my child comes home every day with nothing but glowing and positive things to say. Pay close attention to any of the negative posts. These are written by people who are either looking for a free-pass in life (which you will not find at Franklin Towne, where you have to work AND follow the rules), or by people with an agenda that is not in line with a quality education! Go Towne!

Posted September 25, 2013

Whoever is posting that the administrative team is not the best in the city obviously has a child that thinks the rules do not apply. But they do at Franklin Towne. My child has been going there for four years and it is so comforting to know that when he goes to school he is going to some place like Towne. Mr. Venditti and the entire teaching staff are wonderful. There is nothing that I would change about this school. I thank God each day for this blessing!

Posted September 5, 2013

i was soo completely disapointed and disguisted on the first day, i already have to set up a meeting with someone!! i have 2 kids and throughout all the school years, every single teacher they had has always said how great students they are, how respectable and how good in general all the way around!! my daughter started yesterday shes a freshman, she has never gotten in trouble, EVER, i have never had a problem with anyything, well not yesterday, its the first day, she was very nervous, she was 2 min late for FRENCH, cause her lockers on 4th floor and all the students are just trying to get used to it, shes advanced in math, shes has been on the honor roll pretty much every year, so shes 2 mins late for FRENCH and they give her a detention!!!! she was a wreck, shes never had a detention in her life! on top of that, NOBODY contacted me and someone yelled at her when she tried to call me and tell me!! i picked her up from school everyday and the first time i let her walk home, i couldnt get in touch with her and was panicing!! i am not a parent who lets my kids wander the streets and she always lets me know whats going on! and what kind of teacher scares a good kid on 1st day!!!!!!?

Posted August 13, 2013

Disgusted. You get what you pay for, since this school is free, read between the lines. My child went to a Catholic grade school, I thought the Catholic high school tuition was too high for our family to afford. We are transferring and going to make the necessary sacrifices to make the tuition payments. I am sorry to have put my son through the torture of FTCHS.

Posted May 19, 2013

I'm guessing through a parents perspectives, it's a great school, through the eyes of a student it's really not. I've been here for 3 years and can't wait to leave, because this school is rapidly declining. It used to be a school where I can say I like to go to, but now I just want to leave. The staffs perspectives of school is way too much. There is never anything new at this school and its like the feeling of sameness, plus, I think the staffs are quite unfair and impossible to compromise with. Another thing I could not survive with about this school is about the Lunch, When will the people ever notice that the same music is being played, its annoying and irritating. I also think this school is one of the most unorganized in the city. They are giving Physical Ed to Freshmans next school year, and i have pity for the Freshmans now who are entering their Sophomore year in September.I always looked forward to 3:00 so I can get out of this so called jail. I reallized they never to anything new to their schedule, its always 3:00 and 1:30 being the dismissal time, they cant try to do 11:00 dismissals once every 2 months. An advise, If you are becoming a freshman in Sep.14. Dont go here

Posted March 21, 2013

Before anybody thinks "oh" she is a student she doesn't understand the value of education hear me out. Franklin Towne Charter is possibly the worst school anyone could send their child. In the mission statement they claim to be college prepatory and give off a family like atmosphere. The atmosphere is so far from family like, more like a military school with guards to cover the perimeter. They have pictures and videos of the students smiling and having fun on the website when in reality everday I hear a student says this school sucks! I hear " this school is like jail" , " this school sucks". I went around the school and asked the freshmen did they like the school and majority of them so " no!" Favoritism is shown all throughout the school, you have to be known to succeed succesfully in that school to get anything. Also, that school might be the greediest school in the history of Philadelphia, they get probably get about 100,000 off of the students alone. If you're a parent you won't understand how much your child will suffer going to this school till they get there. I had to give up the biggest oppurtunity of my life beacuse of this school. Ponder this when you choose your school.

Posted October 25, 2012

My son is a freshman at FTCHS and he loves the school. He is thriving academically and getting involved in extra curricular activities as well. The teachers and entire staff are awesome at FTCHS, they are caring individuals who want to help your child recognize and achieve their own potential. The school has a set of strict guidelines in place that serve to keep the students safe and focused on learning. It has only been a few months and already we feel like part of a big family, my son is not getting lost in an overgrown highschool setting with unfamiliar faces and less than attentive teachers. I am very impressed with FTCHS so far and we are looking forward to the next 4 years.

Posted March 10, 2012

Please don't listen to the negative reveiws , My Child graduated from FTC in June 2011, The school is wonderful , teachers , staff and student body. FTC is a family , plain and simple. I have found those who complain about the school are the parents who have a child that was in trouble. I was so impressed by FTC , I pulled my other child from Catholic school and he attends the grade school. My child who graduated from FTC struggled through 8 years of Catholic grade school to keep her head above water grade wise , she made 1st honors all for years at FTC, They are amazing.

Posted March 8, 2012

My daughter is a junior in this school. The school is awesome and the teachers are helpful and very intelligent. The only compaint I have is with the Disciplinarian. He was the basketball coach last year and this year he is the Dean of Students. I think he's in way over his head in that position and is not really qualified to do it. He should go back to B-ball....

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2012.

207 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2012.

218 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 42% in 2012.

207 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2012.

226 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2011-2012 Pennsylvania used the Pennsylvania System of State Assessments (PSSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in math and reading, in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 11 in science. The results for reading, writing, science and math are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The PSSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Pennsylvania. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

White97%
Economically disadvantaged96%
Students with disabilities (IEP)74%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

Asian 2% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

5301 Tacony St Building 108