Public charter
Philadelphia, PA

Posted June 10, 2014
Dedicated teachers, great staff, amazing parents and kids. Since my son won the lottery for a spot in ICS I feel like I never need to win another thing. This school looks and feels like the city of Philadelphia, with a diverse student body made of kids from every neighborhood. We're very lucky to be part of it.

Independence CS 4

Posted June 06, 2014
I am the parent of a 4th grader and 2nd grader at this school. My girls could not be more different when it comes to learning and I could not be happier with how both have thrived at ICS!! Not only are the academic standards high, the community of teachers, parents and support staff are beyond anything we could have hoped for. When my youngest daughter was struggling with reading, I did not have to request help, a reading specialist started taking her out of the classroom to work with her before I knew she needed it and still works with her today, she is now reading at grade level and is confident enough to raise her hand and read aloud in class!! This is a very special place and we are so lucky to be able to send our girls here!

Independence CS 1

Posted June 02, 2014
Highly overrated. It's a glorified public school at best. Faculty and staff are out of touch w/ inner city kids of Philadelphia.

Posted April 28, 2014
ICS continues to be a winner for our 6th grade daughter. The dedicated teachers and staff encourage the students to be intelligent, informed, and contributing citizens of our world. It's my hope they add high school grades before she moves into 9th grade.

Posted April 03, 2014
Independence Charter School (ICS) is a welcoming place where student learning is valued and supported through strong community connections, dynamic educators, committed families and parents. The 800 students in grades K-8 come from all parts of the city Philadelphia and participate in a school of academic excellence. The school is located in Center City Philadelphia and serves a diverse community of learners. ICS provides an intellectually stimulating curriculum with a global focus. Students participate in classes in Spanish language programs as well as classes in art, music, drumming.

Posted February 13, 2014
I graduated last year from the immersion program fluent in Spanish. I also got into the best public school in Philadelphia. I grew bonds with my classmates and my wonderful teachers. This school deserves better than a 5 on their rating because the relationships with friends and staff plus all the knowledge you get is a 10. A simply amazing school.

Posted January 29, 2014
Tremendous! The experiences the kids have at ICS are so valuable. They have a 3-day camping trip, an opportunity to travel to 2 South American countries, and an overnight at Heifer International. They are yearly winners at National History Day! They grow well-rounded independent global thinkers!

Posted August 05, 2013
I really enjoy the feeling of unity that is present when you enter the building. It feels as though we are all part of a team because, "We are. "Students are bright, polite, attentive, caring & thoughtful. We are a part of something wonderful! My son is just about fluent after 2 years of spanish immersion, I am proud of how hard he has worked, and of his teachers for challenging him.

Independence CS 0

Posted April 27, 2010
I love ICS, the staff, the teachers, they have a great curriculm and really care about the children, they also have alot of opportunities for the children to grow, they do the National Spelling Bee, the Geographic Bee, Odyssey of the Mind and tons of cultural activities and don't forget about Spanish Immersion, my daughter has already taken Chinese, Japanese, Latin and is bilinigul from Spanish Immersion since Kindergarten and I can barely say Olah!

Independence CS 0

Posted April 19, 2010
If you want your child to learn Spanish, this is the place to go. Spanish immersion from Kindergarten through 5th grade, plus great teachers for whom Spanish is their native language--- really wonderful people. Plus a great commitment to learning and excellence. Independence Charter is certainly one of the top charter schools in Pennsylvania, and my personal favorite.

Independence CS
1600 Lombard Street, Philadelphia, PA  19146
Last modified Independence CS is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Independence CS Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top