Russell Byers Cs

Charter | K-6

Living in Philadelphia

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $416,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,250.

Posted April 30, 2010

I love Russell Byers because it is peaceful, joyful and the school educates the whole child.

Posted April 30, 2010

I love Russell Byers Charter School because it is an Expeditionary Learning School!

Posted April 30, 2010

I love Russell Byers Charter School because it is a safe place for children to learn, and grow.

Posted April 30, 2010

I am very happy with RBCS. It is a great school. I often wonder why complaining people remain at places when they are unhappy. Stop whining and take your child to your local public school.

Posted April 30, 2010

Russell Byers Charter School is a safe and clean environment for all children to learn! The Expeditionary Learning school model is great for our kids!

Posted April 30, 2010

I love Russell Byers because the children have a genuine thrist for knowledge!!

Posted April 13, 2010

It is horrible to read the bad and negative things that parents, teachers and other people have to say about RBCS. But the sad part is that it is all true. We are going to give the school 1 more year. Since our son is in 2nd grade I feel I still have time to pull him if I have to. They just got a new principal Mr. Drew Smith and lets see how many teacher are going to be ask to leave and lets see how many teachers will stay. Only time will tell. 1 more year to show me this is the school for my son.

Posted April 9, 2010

My husband and I can't wait to get our children out of this school. The curriculum stinks, they spend 3 months working on the same expedition but when it comes to math, they'll spend less than an entire week and expect the children to be ready to test on that material and do well. My children took an admission exam at another school and we were shocked at the material they had to complete. The topics were things my children hadn't even learned or heard of at Russell Byers Charter School. No Social Studies or Science. Like one parent said, the children can sing, dance and draw but they can't do math that suitable for their grade level. Teacher & Principal turnover rate is HIGH! Can't wait for this to be over.

Posted March 20, 2010

I am a parent that currently has her son at this school and is not sure if I should keep him at RBCS or take him out. The teacher that said ' our school is not perfect but we are constantly evolving and getting better ' I have a questions for her or him. How can you get better when every year you have a new principal and when every year new teachers come to the school not knowing the ELOB rules? How?? Please tell me. Why can you keep principals or teachers?. That is my question. It does not look good for the school at all. I like the fact that my son is safe and loves art but when he goes to 4th, 5th or 6th is he going to have the same principal or the same teachers? RBCS needs to get it together and fast.

Posted March 18, 2010

All I want to say is that I am glad my son is out and will not go back to that school. He is much better at his new school. The kids at that school can dance, do art and sing very well. But dont ask a 6th grader to multiply or do division. Glad my son is out.

Posted March 16, 2010

I had my daughter at RBCS and she was lost when she got into her 7th grade class at her new school. She had to get use to something call HOMEWORK and GRADES A-B-C-D and F. The real world uses GRADES to for tests and projects. In college they use them. It was a nightmare. She was not ready. I feel like all the parents that told me to take her out were 100% right. She needed a tutor for math. I can understand why the teacher that just wrote that review feels that way. But when you see a different principal every year and teachers coming and going . Sorry that is just not right.

Posted March 13, 2010

Our school is a much needed break from the average philly public school! From the second you walk in our doors you can feel the difference. We have a beautiful facility, dedicated staff, and above all an all-around safe school where kids are happily learning. Being a relatively new charter school, each year we improve our curriculum and search for better ways to educated our children. Of course our school is not perfect but we are constantly evolving and getting better! Our students are happy and we have an excellent community that is really all about educating the whole child.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 25, 2010

Dont be fooled!!! the school looks great on the outside and the art teacher has the walls with nice decorations from the kids. But the kids are not learning. The school can not keep a principal longer than a year or 2. And teachers come and go every year. Iam not happy with the school and this year is my son's last year at the school we can't take the lack of learning and the 'expeditions' projects replacing an actual class. No books, no homework, no principal again!! i cant take it.

Posted February 25, 2010

Don't be fooled!!! the school looks great and the art teacher decorates the walls with nice works of art but the students are not learning. I will be taking my son out this year since they have no principal again. Rbcs is great at not having principals or keep good teachers. The kids are happy and safe but they are not learning-- no homework, no projects, no books, no social studies, no science class. Horrible school!!! dont be fooled by the looks. Never judge a book by its cover. I just had to learn that.

Posted September 16, 2009

I am a current parent at RBCS and I am extremely pleased with the school. The curriculum is rigorous and it promotes the development of the entire child -- educationally, socially and emotionally. I am not aware of any other public school in the city that offers a Mandarin language program or dance classes taught by Rock School instructors. If you are a parent who chooses to be an active participant in your child's education, you will find that the teachers and administration are extremely competent and caring. They set the bar high, but if you are one of 900+ on the wait list fortunate enough to attend this school, shouldn't you and your child be up to the challenge?

Posted August 6, 2008

I have supported this school for the past two years as a community stakeholder and have witnessed remarkable growth in its leadership and quality of instruction. The 30 percent plus teacher turnover rate is unfortunate, although understandable as a charter school; there is not enough money to attract the creme of the crop. I believe the school's decision to replace instructors (the reason for over 50% of the teacher turnover rate) demonstrates their dedication to quality instruction. I wish the administration had more resources with which to attract the highest quality teachers. Afterall, this school has the happiest kids I have ever seen! At an elementary school level, should we rate a school on its students' excitement for learning or high test scores? How will we define a balance?

Posted July 17, 2008

As a former teacher, I have seen firsthand the unprofessional behavior of some of the administrators. Parents, please be wary ab out the reasons given to explain why teachers left. The school has an incredibly high teacher turnover rate. This is not promising for any school. RBCS had had a serious issue with retaining teachers. The curriculum is confusing. Students are not taught full Social Studies or Science curriculums. Instead, the school uses the Expeditionary Learning curriculum. Your child will learn about one Science topic for 3 months and one Social Studies topic for 3 months. Children that transfer from public school have so much more knowledge of Social Studies and Science content that children that have only been at RBCS. It's unfortunate because it should be an excellent school. Parents, don't be fooled.

Posted October 10, 2006

My family has been apart of the RBCS family since year 2 and this is the first year since the beginning that I am truly enthused about the growth of the school as a whole. Mr. El, the new principal, began the school year introducing himself to the families as we entered the building and really made us feel like we were apart of the puzzle. The parents seem happier and more willing to volunteer this year as well as the staff seems more at ease. Mr. El is always positive and reassuring to the students, staff, and families of RBCS and I look forward to many more years of him 'running' the school. With Mr. El's positive persona, I hope that the school's testing scores will raise.

Posted October 2, 2006

My children have been attending Russell Byers for 3 years and we are on our third principal. I was considering changing my children's school because I was unhappy with the direction in which the school was heading but I must say that I am quite pleased with the school this year under Mr. El's direction. Our new principal is taking an active interest in our children which is much more than I can say about our two previous principals. I am hoping that we maintain our principal and teachers for the coming years because it is my belief that it will help us to become a stronger school. Parental Involvement at Russell Byers is amazing!! Our parents show they care not only about the education and safety of their own children but of all the students.

Posted June 25, 2006

As a family of R.B.C.S. I think the school's goal is great! I think Mrs.Byers did a great job bringing forth her husbands dream and keeping it alive. But I hope the children will always be apart of that dream. With the major changes that the school is going through, again another principle (where's that strong leadership) my kid has been through 5 already,i think we can't keep track, there needs to be more leadership by the adults in school and then maybe the parents and kids will follow. Because the school in becoming a joke.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 74% in 2012.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2011-2012 Pennsylvania used the Pennsylvania System of State Assessments (PSSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in math and reading, in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 11 in science. The results for reading, writing, science and math are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The PSSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Pennsylvania. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 82% in 2012.

51 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2012.

46 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 65% in 2012.

41 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2012.

48 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 69% in 2012.

All Students85%

Male57%
Black54%
Economically disadvantaged61%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students89%

This school District averageState average
Female 51%N/A49%
Male 49%N/A51%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1911 Arch St