Northwood Academy CS

Charter | K-8 | 771 students

Living in Philadelphia

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $65,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $850.

Posted April 28, 2014

My two daughter attend Northwood Academy Charter School. I can't complain about this school. I love everything they do with the children. They are always on point with the student needs.

Posted April 18, 2014

My granddaughter attends Northwood Academy and I can't tell you how much we love this school. This is Laila's first year and she has learned so much. The teachers are great! I'm so glad she accepted and we chose this school. Thank you Debbie Hill

Posted September 24, 2013

The staff at this school truly care about the students. A stronger parent advisory council might be a good idea.

Posted September 23, 2013

I have rated previously but wanted to add more. I am overall very pleased with this school because of its good communication, great facilities, good management and ragging activities that go beyond the core subjects. Read the review from June 27 to see more in detail what I think. I wanted to add a few pros and cons. I am happy with looping in first and second grade (the same class sticks together for two years with the same teacher) but unfortunately my daughters teacher left. I also want to applaud the lunch program. There is a crew of people who cook in house and make a big variety of food challenging kids to try new things mixed with kids favorites. I also like to hear that in the middle school students can choose electives. I disappointed that science and social studies are not a major subject at the school. Maybe it is in the upper grades but my daughter who is in second grade just started getting science and it's a special class once a week. Social studies is not even a subject. I guess if it's not state tested it's not important??? When will we move past these tests! Thankfully the school has been overall doing well with these tests

Posted October 24, 2011

I do think Northwood Academy, is an incredible learning institution. Great faculty and most of all Miss Pamela Frieman's attitude towards the students, make it a home for kids to acquire a great education.My daughter has mentioned to me on many ocassions, that she will be having lunch with Miss Friedman today. She loves her, as this is the time she and MIss Friedman has the best conversations about how she can become a better student, and continue to excell in her education. The positive engagement, with staff and students, is ranked so high, that when kids graduate from the school it's hard for them to forget their NOrthwood teachers. I have to remind my daughter everyday that she is not at Northwood anymore. Can't get this school out of her system. Miss Kelley is another great and postive teacher. My daughter loves the bonding and think she is the best teacher she has ever had.

Posted March 22, 2011

I agree with the comments regarding the lack of discipline for the upper grades. The teaching staff at Northwood is the BEST! They are conscientious and caring; they are professional and always willing to communicate. My son loves his teachers. He has come a long way under their guidance and he remains productive and happy at Northwood. We wish their after-school activities were more structured; we wish the administration took more of an interest in the Latino population regarding sports and extra-curricular activities. We wish Northwood would give as much recognition in their intellectual after-school activities as they do their sports programs. (i.e. no recognition was given to the Engineering club led by Ms. Hopkins-Doerr and their successful show bringing an award and a check for $50.00 back to Northwood.) We are grateful for Northwood being part of our community. Northwood is our shining star in a neighborhood that has so very little to offer. Thank you Northwood teaching staff.

Posted November 29, 2010

I worked at Northwood last year as the Building Substitute teacher. Out of the 4 schools where I have worked (3 Philadelphia charters, 1 suburban public), Northwood is my favorite. The school has a very diverse student body, great teachers, and supportive administrators. Student behavior is generally good and students are generally dealt with appropriately when they misbehave. Amy Hollister is an encouraging, positive, and motivating principal (whatever her other faults might be), as is Pam Friedman. The school also provides the latest technology and facilities for its students--someone is very busy writing grants! My only criticism is that the administrative team has much more experience with elementary students than with middle grades students, and is not strict enough with the students in grades 7 and 8. Cell phone use and hall wandering have been a problem in these grades. When compared to other Philadelphia schools, however, these problems do not seem so severe. All in all, this is a great school. I would happily send my OWN child to Northwood.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 22, 2010

Kindergarten has been wonderful as my daughter loves going to school and can read great for a 5 year old. I really wish this school had a PTA that I could join. I would love to start one but I do not have the time it takes to devote to running a PTA. If their are any parents out their that would like to start one, I would gladly join.

Posted April 21, 2010

this school is ok. it has its ups and downs. its teachers are ok.

Posted October 9, 2009

Wy husband and I love what Northwood has done for our children. They are academically performing well above other children in our neighborhood. If you don't like Mrs. Hollister, it's because she probably told you something you didn't want to hear! We love her.

Posted September 30, 2009

I don't agree with the ratings, specifically the prinicpal is ranking at a higher rating than teaching staff? My child is a student at Northwood; and by far, no matter what circumstances the teaching staff has always been more receptive and responsive over the Prinicipal of Northwood. However I do give applause to the Director, Pamela Friedman. Her efforts and involvement with the student/parent communications are commendable. Mrs. Friedman's abilities far exceed her position/responsibilities at Northwood.

Posted September 16, 2009

The school has a great curriculum, safety plan and student behavioral plan. The school is doing a great job teaching/enforcing proper social behavior. I like the fact that students are contstantly encouraged and expected to perform at their highest level. The school has a great teaching staff. They're very caring and self-sacrificing. Mrs. Scarinci and Ms. Mulville are great examples of what it means to be a good teacher. Keep up the good work you two!! However, I think the Principal lacks severly in interpersonal skills. I think the office staff could use some lessons in professional ettiquet and attire. I wish the school sponsored more SCHOOL based extra-curriculum activities. I also wish they would build an in-school gym instead of walking to the local recreational center. All-in-all, I give the school an eight out of ten.

Posted August 30, 2009

I am a graduaate of northwood academy and i just have to say that was the best school Ive been too threw grades k to 8. Ive learned so much and the teachers were great. I love that it is a small school so its more comfortsble being there. I also like how it is strict. most of the kids in that school need to learn how to be well mannered and tucking in yor shirt wont make you look like a slob. Im in high school now and a sophmore, but if I could I would deffinatley go back to northwood for 8th grade. it was the best.

Posted August 23, 2009

I'm a old student from Northwood. I just graduated this year. Northwood was like the best experience of my life. I love the teachers, well most. This school has really put made a difference in my life. Northwood was not just a school, it was a second home for me. I knew alot of people and most of them were all welcoming. I started Northwood in the 5th grade when it all started. Oh Yeah! I love the new building. I will never forget my Northwood Fam!

Posted August 20, 2009

i love this school i've been here for most of my life since 2'nd grade but had to leave love nacs!

Posted August 18, 2009

I love this school , I have been going to this school for almost 4 years . The communication between Students and Teachers are Great .

Posted May 26, 2009

This is my daughter's 3rd yr at Northwood. She came from what was supposed to be an academic plus school but to me it was just a strict public school . She and I both were nervous about the move. It was an eye opening adjustment for her, however, it turned out to be the best thing I've ever done for her education. The school has great morals and standards each child has to uphold. My only issues is that she is very much into sports and I beleive they cater more towards the boys than the girls when it comes to athletics. However, over all I love the school and I am going to miss the personal attention she is getting once she graduates next year.

Posted May 23, 2009

Northwood is awsome!! I am glad it's a small school. All the students get more personal interactions with staff and all the children know each other. I really love this school and the new building.

Posted May 22, 2009

This school is the best school! My children love the school. The staff is wonderful, and they geniually care about their students. They take the time out to see where your child may be struggle as far as school work, and if the child has a problem they do everything within their powers to help...Keep up the excellent work!

Posted April 30, 2009

Okay I really dislike this school for certain reasons. One, this school is too strict, for example you have to have your shirt tucked in. Also, this school is too small, why make another building that only has one building, well anyways that my opinion.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 74% in 2012.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2011-2012 Pennsylvania used the Pennsylvania System of State Assessments (PSSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in math and reading, in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 11 in science. The results for reading, writing, science and math are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The PSSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Pennsylvania. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 82% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2012.

85 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 65% in 2012.

84 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2012.

82 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 69% in 2012.

82 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2012.

74 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2012.

74 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2012.

72 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2012.

71 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 60% in 2012.

71 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 73% in 2012.

73 students were tested at this school in 2012.

All Students84%

Hispanic76%
Economically disadvantaged77%
Students with disabilities (IEP)n/a
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students94%

School start time
  • 8:00am
School end time
  • 3:00pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Amy Hollister
Fax number
  • (215) 676-8340

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Speech and language impairments

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Sports

• Drama

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

4621 Castor Ave