Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Northwood Academy CS
Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted January 08, 2016
So far I have been very pleased with everything that I have seen fromt he teachers and staff. Can't complain.

Posted January 08, 2016
I am very pleased with Northwood Academy Charter school. I know that when my children walk through the doors in the morning they will be safe and will have a great day. After attending public school in Philadelphia myself and also having other children attend other various schools in the city of Philadelphia, I had given up. I thought that I would never be happy with the school system in the city until I found this school. This school has been a breath of fresh air for me and my family. I have been very impressed on how the school is managed and the teachers and staff are great!

Posted December 13, 2014
It is my son's first year at Northwood academy, and so far I can see the differences between this school and his previous one. I am please with the progress that is making and I am grateful to the staff for making him feel confident and welcome in the school. I am hoping that my two others sons will be granted the chance to be a part of the northwood family because I think they will have a better chance to succeed academically.

Posted April 28, 2014
My two daughter attend Northwood Academy Charter School. I can't complain about this school. I love everything they do with the children. They are always on point with the student needs.

Posted April 18, 2014
My granddaughter attends Northwood Academy and I can't tell you how much we love this school. This is Laila's first year and she has learned so much. The teachers are great! I'm so glad she accepted and we chose this school. Thank you Debbie Hill

Posted September 24, 2013
The staff at this school truly care about the students. A stronger parent advisory council might be a good idea.

Posted September 23, 2013
I have rated previously but wanted to add more. I am overall very pleased with this school because of its good communication, great facilities, good management and ragging activities that go beyond the core subjects. Read the review from June 27 to see more in detail what I think. I wanted to add a few pros and cons. I am happy with looping in first and second grade (the same class sticks together for two years with the same teacher) but unfortunately my daughters teacher left. I also want to applaud the lunch program. There is a crew of people who cook in house and make a big variety of food challenging kids to try new things mixed with kids favorites. I also like to hear that in the middle school students can choose electives. I disappointed that science and social studies are not a major subject at the school. Maybe it is in the upper grades but my daughter who is in second grade just started getting science and it's a special class once a week. Social studies is not even a subject. I guess if it's not state tested it's not important??? When will we move past these tests! Thankfully the school has been overall doing well with these tests

Posted October 24, 2011
I do think Northwood Academy, is an incredible learning institution. Great faculty and most of all Miss Pamela Frieman's attitude towards the students, make it a home for kids to acquire a great education.My daughter has mentioned to me on many ocassions, that she will be having lunch with Miss Friedman today. She loves her, as this is the time she and MIss Friedman has the best conversations about how she can become a better student, and continue to excell in her education. The positive engagement, with staff and students, is ranked so high, that when kids graduate from the school it's hard for them to forget their NOrthwood teachers. I have to remind my daughter everyday that she is not at Northwood anymore. Can't get this school out of her system. Miss Kelley is another great and postive teacher. My daughter loves the bonding and think she is the best teacher she has ever had.

Posted March 22, 2011
I agree with the comments regarding the lack of discipline for the upper grades. The teaching staff at Northwood is the BEST! They are conscientious and caring; they are professional and always willing to communicate. My son loves his teachers. He has come a long way under their guidance and he remains productive and happy at Northwood. We wish their after-school activities were more structured; we wish the administration took more of an interest in the Latino population regarding sports and extra-curricular activities. We wish Northwood would give as much recognition in their intellectual after-school activities as they do their sports programs. (i.e. no recognition was given to the Engineering club led by Ms. Hopkins-Doerr and their successful show bringing an award and a check for $50.00 back to Northwood.) We are grateful for Northwood being part of our community. Northwood is our shining star in a neighborhood that has so very little to offer. Thank you Northwood teaching staff.

Posted November 29, 2010
I worked at Northwood last year as the Building Substitute teacher. Out of the 4 schools where I have worked (3 Philadelphia charters, 1 suburban public), Northwood is my favorite. The school has a very diverse student body, great teachers, and supportive administrators. Student behavior is generally good and students are generally dealt with appropriately when they misbehave. Amy Hollister is an encouraging, positive, and motivating principal (whatever her other faults might be), as is Pam Friedman. The school also provides the latest technology and facilities for its students--someone is very busy writing grants! My only criticism is that the administrative team has much more experience with elementary students than with middle grades students, and is not strict enough with the students in grades 7 and 8. Cell phone use and hall wandering have been a problem in these grades. When compared to other Philadelphia schools, however, these problems do not seem so severe. All in all, this is a great school. I would happily send my OWN child to Northwood.

Northwood Academy CS
4621 Castor Ave, Philadelphia, PA  19124
Last modified Northwood Academy CS is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Northwood Academy CS Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 47 reviews. Top