Philadelphia, PA

Academy At Palumbo 2

Posted April 19, 2015
I am a 9th Grader in this school. To be honest, I have heard many great things about this school. I heard it was more about family than academics but the academics were still good. That made me eager since I got accepted to Palumbo. Unfortunately, every rave review of the school was a lie. While the academics are ok, the community is downright horrible. You may be respected as a highly competitive, tall, and popular person. If you are the opposite of that and you know you are, you might as well reconsider joining this school. I think it is a bad idea to be known here. I tried to be a funny person, showing everyone my comics and stuff because I was trying to be an animator and artist when I grow up and I really need some recognition. I also did some poems as well which the normal people there called dark but beautiful. But my comics and poems became a base for insults, stolen food, questions about mental illness, and paper thrown at me. Basically, If you try to be part of the "family" in this school, you will be bullied and you will be taken advantage of. If you are planning to come to this school, try to be as unknown as possible. At least this school gets a star for its academics.

Posted March 18, 2015
As a new parent I can wholeheartedly say that I would love for my son to one day come to this school. Teachers overwhelmingly hold advanced degrees, all of them have at least one extra curricular contribution, and are the most dedicated I have ever encountered. Students/parents can access grades, assignments, and send messages online. We win more championships and competitions every year. Our principal is dedicated to accountability and transparency. There are too many community building events to mention..visit our site to see more for yourself http://www.palumbohs.org/

Posted November 30, 2014
The perfectest school ever!!! it's the friendliest and funest school. I am a ninth grader and didn't plan to attend but I am loving it.

Academy At Palumbo 1

Posted October 23, 2014
Contrary to it being touted as an academically high achieving school and the various rankings, when you look at the actual PA testing, academic performance, and standards, IT IS ONE OF THE MOST OVER-RATED AND UNDER-PERFORMING SCHOOLS n the Philly School District. In fact, the Pa. Department of Education, gives it a score of 67.8/100 in terms of meeting PA academic performance standards. Specifically, the school in 2013-2014, had a dismal academic performance rating of 27.32, in terms of science/biology and a extremely weak rating of 60.55, in terms of the SAT/ACT College Ready benchmark. The school also performs significantly below average in terms of advanced achievement across all PSSA/Keystone advanced standards. More recently, the PSD budget cuts have and continue to pose a problem for this school in terms of consistent teachers, and even having basic school needs such as counselors and a librarian. The school does NOT deserve the accolades, recognition, or other rankings as a top-performing school in Philly, especially where the actual Pa. Dept. of Education data, suggests otherwise.

Academy At Palumbo 4

Posted April 03, 2014
This school is beast... Sooo sad i have to move... Mrs. Tuff n ms. miner are the best

Posted March 12, 2014
I love teaching at the Academy at Palumbo. I have been here for three years, and hope to never leave! We have a great community of educators here who strive to do our best every day and prepare our students for college (P.S. I'm not sure where the parent below got her numbers, but we do NOT have a low staff attendance rate!). Our students are bright, creative, well-behaved and goal-oriented. No, it's not perfect - we still struggle with the cuts in our budget, as well as everyday issues that every high school has. If you work hard and avail yourself of our resources, you will do quite well at Palumbo. Take advantage of our choir, orchestra, literary magazine, champion chess and debate teams, new football team, step team, and many many more. We hope to see you in the fall!

Academy At Palumbo 4

Posted December 07, 2013
i am a 10th grader who attends academy at palumbo. i was not planning on writing a review but the negative ones i read made me angry. this is a great school. in elementary school, i got straight As without trying. at palumbo i am being challenged in so many ways. one parent wrote that we dont get enough homework. thats honestly really funny. i have assignments in every subject to this this weekend along with studying. another person wrote how the kids throw trash on the ground, do drugs, and bully others. EVERY HIGHSCHOOL HAS THESE PROBLEMS. it's a highschool filled with TEENAGERS. we tend to disrespect our surroundings, do drugs, and not get along with everyone. seriously, the only way to not have your kid exposed to things like that is if you homeschool them. you will not find a school where everything is clean, sober, and 100% friendly. anyway, this is a great school with so much potential. we have a lot of intelligent students, and awesome teachers. students also have the opportunity to find themselves and expand their minds with clubs. this is a great school. send your kid here. i could go on, but theres a word limit.

Posted October 11, 2013
This school is outstanding. I really enjoy the student/teacher connection. My child graduated last year and was accepted to YALE university. I was so proud that Academy at Palumbo had bred another winner. My youngest is a sophomore and is FLUENT in spanish. I am so proud that Palumbo strives to teach the children everything they need for college.

Posted August 22, 2013
It's a great school that has a family atmosphere with caring teachers and counselors who are very dedicated to their students.

Academy At Palumbo 3

Posted July 13, 2013
I am a student of the 2014 Graduating Class and to be honest, I am happy that I am getting out of this place. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the school but I don't love it either. I more so tolerate it than anything. The teachers are BRILLIANT but the students and administrative staff, including the principal are a complete embarrassment to what this school was meant to be. I have never met such arrogant and ignorant people in my life. Students have no respect for teachers or this building that they live in for 7 hours a day, 5 days a week for 10 months. They treat it like a trashcan and throw their belongings and trash anywhere they want. They curse like they are out in the street and the don't have a drive to learn or to strive for greatness. Our principal doesn't seem to listen to complaints from students and she only takes time to get to know the misbehaving students. There isn't a real connection there. And the very sad part is, it wasn't always like that. When I started in 2010 the school was everything I wanted it to be but every class after mine has turned this school into another neighborhood school. Without a change in the admissions process that is what it'll become.

Academy At Palumbo
1122 Catharine St, Philadelphia, PA  19147
Last modified Academy At Palumbo is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Academy At Palumbo Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top