Academy At Palumbo 4

Posted April 03, 2014
This school is beast... Sooo sad i have to move... Mrs. Tuff n ms. miner are the best

Posted March 12, 2014
I love teaching at the Academy at Palumbo. I have been here for three years, and hope to never leave! We have a great community of educators here who strive to do our best every day and prepare our students for college (P.S. I'm not sure where the parent below got her numbers, but we do NOT have a low staff attendance rate!). Our students are bright, creative, well-behaved and goal-oriented. No, it's not perfect - we still struggle with the cuts in our budget, as well as everyday issues that every high school has. If you work hard and avail yourself of our resources, you will do quite well at Palumbo. Take advantage of our choir, orchestra, literary magazine, champion chess and debate teams, new football team, step team, and many many more. We hope to see you in the fall!

Academy At Palumbo 4

Posted December 07, 2013
i am a 10th grader who attends academy at palumbo. i was not planning on writing a review but the negative ones i read made me angry. this is a great school. in elementary school, i got straight As without trying. at palumbo i am being challenged in so many ways. one parent wrote that we dont get enough homework. thats honestly really funny. i have assignments in every subject to this this weekend along with studying. another person wrote how the kids throw trash on the ground, do drugs, and bully others. EVERY HIGHSCHOOL HAS THESE PROBLEMS. it's a highschool filled with TEENAGERS. we tend to disrespect our surroundings, do drugs, and not get along with everyone. seriously, the only way to not have your kid exposed to things like that is if you homeschool them. you will not find a school where everything is clean, sober, and 100% friendly. anyway, this is a great school with so much potential. we have a lot of intelligent students, and awesome teachers. students also have the opportunity to find themselves and expand their minds with clubs. this is a great school. send your kid here. i could go on, but theres a word limit.

Posted October 11, 2013
This school is outstanding. I really enjoy the student/teacher connection. My child graduated last year and was accepted to YALE university. I was so proud that Academy at Palumbo had bred another winner. My youngest is a sophomore and is FLUENT in spanish. I am so proud that Palumbo strives to teach the children everything they need for college.

Posted August 22, 2013
It's a great school that has a family atmosphere with caring teachers and counselors who are very dedicated to their students.

Academy At Palumbo 3

Posted July 13, 2013
I am a student of the 2014 Graduating Class and to be honest, I am happy that I am getting out of this place. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the school but I don't love it either. I more so tolerate it than anything. The teachers are BRILLIANT but the students and administrative staff, including the principal are a complete embarrassment to what this school was meant to be. I have never met such arrogant and ignorant people in my life. Students have no respect for teachers or this building that they live in for 7 hours a day, 5 days a week for 10 months. They treat it like a trashcan and throw their belongings and trash anywhere they want. They curse like they are out in the street and the don't have a drive to learn or to strive for greatness. Our principal doesn't seem to listen to complaints from students and she only takes time to get to know the misbehaving students. There isn't a real connection there. And the very sad part is, it wasn't always like that. When I started in 2010 the school was everything I wanted it to be but every class after mine has turned this school into another neighborhood school. Without a change in the admissions process that is what it'll become.

Academy At Palumbo 2

Posted June 26, 2013
Academy at Palumbo is truly not what we expected and I am considering transferring my child soon. The school is unsafe and allows too much nonsense. My student has to be a different person in order to not be harrassed or bullied and this has affected her academically in more ways than i am willing to accept. And now with the school closings, many other area school students will now be added to the mix. There is a small % of students that do not belong, but this % will definitely increase now. Good luck.

Academy At Palumbo 3

Posted June 20, 2013
When my daughter first was accepted here I was so excited...I truly thought this was a school for academia but it seems to have taken a left turn...The front office knows nothing about anything so dont waste your time...My daughter is learning but she does tell us stories about school that just wasnt what i expected...such as kids doing drugs, alot of fights...it seems this school is growing faster than it can handle it plus you add in the trash it has to allow in the school just because they applied...so the standard of smart kids wanting are lowering but the number of kids e

Academy At Palumbo 1

Posted June 10, 2013
This school is a joke!!!! My son has attended for two years and I have now encouraged him to transfer for his junior year. Not only does the staff lazily prepare our children for college, they barely ever show up to work. According to the staff attendance record, they rate at 47% this year alone. (this information provided by the school district to any parent that wants the information) My son has barely had any homework, classwork, projects, etc., and when a test is given,(of course they have to hurriedly provide an exam to be able to put in grades), the children aren't afforded the opportunity to finish the exam leaving them with of course with an overall unsatisfactory grade. (luckily, my son, is an achiever, and has EASILY remained on the honor roll since he began) This is apparently acceptable to both the principal and the staff. Thanks so much for placing our children at the bottom of the achievement pole! This is what they claim to be an uprising college preparatory school... how dare they and shame on them all! With all of the recent budget cuts, the principal at this school should have been the first on the list!

Posted August 24, 2012
This school is by far one of the best schools in the city of philadelphia . The teachers strive for the best and take there job very serious . The principle is wonderful and she shows a great amount of respect to just about anyone . My daughter has been here for 3 years and will soon be graduating so I know a couple things about this school . Even though the kids may play around,they have a drive and determination for success that drives this school into a path of total success . Every year palumbo just keeps getting better and better . For a new school that was established in 2006 , I would say that this school is going to go a long way .

Academy At Palumbo
1122 Catharine St, Philadelphia, PA  19147
Last modified Academy At Palumbo is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Academy At Palumbo Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 34 reviews.