Renaissance Academy Charter School

Charter | K-12 & ungraded | 939 students

We are best known for high expectations.

Living in Phoenixville

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $245,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,050.

Posted June 29, 2014

Renaissance Academy Administration and School Board need to be reviewed by an independent company. They do not follow the rules that they have provided in faculty and or student handbooks. Teachers are not reviewed fairly and are constantly being asked to perform excessive paperwork and are not provided adequate space. The school board is totally unaware of what takes place during the school day and does not attend school functions on a regular basis. Administration plays favorites and are untrained on how to evaluate staff and the capabilities of the subject areas they teach. This was a great school at one point....However I have seen the light and it is headed in a very wrong direction. As for the new building. It is a joke! It is not a bigger space, just a new more expensive space. How about we work on getting computers with all of the keys on them or connect to the internet/program without taking 20+ minutes to logon. Just embarrassing.

Posted May 17, 2014

RA could be a great school and it probably is a great school for the numerous students who are children of staff members and board members. It seems they run the school for them. There is a great deal of favoritism towards these kids to the point that other kids give up trying. CEO doesn't see it but her kids are some of favored pet students. It must be nice to use public funds to have your children be pampered.

Posted April 24, 2014

I am a student at R.A. and the learning environment is great, but the pointless rules and control-freak staff ruin the school for everyone. It would be a great school overall but the staff is extremely strict to pointless means like chewing gum and showing affection towards other students. The school as of 2014 is going on a suspension spree, suspending kids and ruining their high school records over small things like showing affection and disrupting class, while many worse things are noticed but are let by due to unknown reasons. It is very unprofessional and lacks the right feel of a school. It is described by many as a 'jail like building' with many uncommon rules and unnecessary abusive rules. The school would be worth attending, but students spend more time complaining about the rules, rather than learning. It would be a great school? But sadly it's not.

Posted April 4, 2014

It's a wonderful, caring school. Every student is valued. Academics are important but also is the development of each child as a contributing member of society. And not only are the children valued but so are,the staff members which means it is a joy to attend each day.u
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 3, 2014

I am a proud Renaissance Academy Charter School parent of three lower school students. This school is amazing! RA has created a fantastic respectful learning environment where the teachers/staff are dedicated to the students and the students genuinely have a love of learning. Since it is a smaller school, individual education needs and goals are able to be met using a team approach. I am continuously impressed by the level of academic achievement the students are able to reach. I also love the commitment to a strong fine arts curriculum with excellent teachers. Parents/guardians are considered an integral part of the school and are always welcome in the classroom. RA frequently recognizes and celebrates the accomplishments of student achievements in the school and in the community. In my experience, the students are happy to be at this school and the teachers/staff are supportive and caring. This is my seventh year at this fine school and I plan for my 3 children to graduate from Renaissance Academy.

Posted April 2, 2014

I am very fortunate to be apart of such an amazing community and group of teachers, parents, staff members, and most of all students! Renaissance is a family. We are able to give individualized attention to our students in a way that helps us connect on a personal level. I would highly recommend this school.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 2, 2014

I myself went to this school and now my brothers attend this school and just saying that I think says a lot about RA. It's a small school with a ton of potential. It's just a beautiful atmosphere and I wouldn't rate it anything less then 5 starts.

Posted February 5, 2014

I can not possibly express how much this school has given me. There are no words capable of expressing my gratitude. I highly reccomend this school to everybody.

Posted July 25, 2013

My school is benefiting my child who started with a good foundation and is continuing to maintain good work and study habits. This school works well with students who do well. Discipline seems to be administered in a questionable way, which can cause feelings of unfairness from students. As a parent, I appreciate guidance and limitations but I do hope that allegations of unfairness will be considered in the upcoming year.

Posted February 16, 2013

I have been going to this school since kindergarten and this school has not only given me the education I need, this is where all of my friends are and I absolutley love this school. Academic Standards are high for me and I am challenged each day I walk through the doors. The teachers are all so nice and respect the things you say. Since kindergarden I have learned so much and I am academically where I should be. Because this isnt a public school and it isnt a very large school the teachers can help you until they feel you have got the curriculum that you need. Behavior wise, the school is good about keeping kids out of trouble. At the school, mostly all students take learning very seriously. The core values are a big part of learning here and are taken very seriously by the teachers. Another part that kids love is that here at the end of each semester we get to go on end of quarter celebrations. This school has given me all the right materials and curriculum so I can acheive and academically and socially. I am so proud that I attended this school since kindergarden, without all the staff and faculty, I wouldn't be nearly the student I am today. This school is the best!

Posted February 10, 2013

My daughter attended Renaissance Academy from 2nd grade until graduation in 2011. The small, community-based environment took her from a quiet, introverted child to a confident, self-assured young woman. The skills she learned at this school, both academically and socially, have served her well in college and beyond. She gained the lifelong gift of knowing she is in control of her own destiny, as well as that she is a member of the world community; where she can make a difference. Thank you, Renaissance Academy, for helping my child grow to her potential.

Posted November 21, 2012

I cannot say enough GREAT things abut this school. They really DO get it. I have 2 children, racially "mixed" might I add. They are treated with respect and in turn, are respectful themselves. My kids do not need special learning, but I am wowed by the huge effort the school puts forth to include and educate those who do. The activities are outstanding. The kids get very excited about being able to participate in such a wide variety of extras. The school is also very big on recognizing student achievement, in school and outside. They meet once a week altogether to celebrate those achievements. I have noticed that most parent whom do not give a good review, or have bad things to say, typically have had a "bad behavior experience" with one of their children. I have also and felt the situation was handled fairly. If you are one of those parents who have the attitude that "my child does no wrong", certainly you will not be in favor of consequences that follow such behavior. If however, you are looking for a school with an advanced curriculum, teachers who care and prepare smart, responsible young people, and you have faced the reality that no child is perfect, this is your school!

Posted October 31, 2012

I have had both my children in the school since kindergarten. Academically the majority of the teachers really care. However administration is inconsistent when administering consequences. The school is not consistent in areas of gender nor race. Once a child is stereotyped in the school regardless of a New day fresh start which the school preaches beginning in kindergarten that does not take place. the high school Dean of Students is one that needs to be removed from his position immediately due to his inability to get all the facts in every situation and issue consequences based on facts and not other factors. I was a pleased parents till I had interactions with this administer and I would warn parents of high school students to listen to your child.

Posted June 19, 2012

This review may be subject to change but as a family first attempting to enroll a child into Renaissance, the school is becoming extremely frustrating. At the open house about 8 months ago we were verbally assured that our child would most likely be accepted. We submit our application fully and on time...and have now been waiting for six months for word. It's the end of the school year and as far as I can tell they've not even done their lottery yet! Our children currently attend a charter school so we've been through this process before, but with their current charter school, by the end of the school year I was called (my only information so far is what I've gained from calling Ren, they've never called me) and was told what position in line my kids were in. And then I received update phone calls if/when my children were moved forward in line. At this point, Ren's next school year is just over two months away and every time I call for a lottery result I'm told they're "extremely busy." Get your lottery done Ren, this is crazy.

Posted May 21, 2012

I am a former teacher at Renaissance Academy. Never in my life have I worked with a harder working faculty and staff. These teachers care and work harder than anyone I have ever worked with. And that is sort of the problem. My experience was in the Upper School, so my commentary will be based on that. There is a culture of student apathy that is directly related to the countless official "intervention" programs and teachers that care so much that they will unofficially sacrifice ANYTHING to move a student along in a course that they don't belong in in the first place or are too lazy to do it on their own, knowing FULL WELL that they will be 'saved' by the intervention systems. It's not "why is this student failing," it's "why are you a bad teacher?" and "why aren't you helping them enough?" At some point, high school students need to be responsible for their own actions. Renaissance Academy does a very poor job of treating teenagers like future adults, and instead coddles them like they are still in the 6th grade. Student achievement at the high school level would be so much better if the onus of the responsibility for learning fell on the students.

Posted February 29, 2012

As a parent I would like to say that this school has the potential to be great. The class sizes are great and the assignments given seem to be on target for the students age and ability. most teachers that I have come in contact with are very caring and will take the time to address all concerns. problems that I see: The admin. does not take complaints serious and bullying seems to be a huge problem. Admin also has favorites which are the students who really excel so if your child has an IEP and needs special help they will honor that however, you are not a preferred student.

Posted November 20, 2011

Parents with special needs children are welcome at RA. If children aren't being served appropriately, it is up to the parent to say something--just like any other school. Former Secretary of Education William Bennett once compared laissez-faire parenting to thinking they're sending their child through the educational equivalent of an automatic car wash--uneducated at one end, educated and ready to take on the world at the other--with no input or action on the parent's part. Well, guess what? It doesn't work that way. Yes, we had to push hard to get our child the services he needed. Yes, it was frustrating to do so. Yes, we waited too long. Yes, the results continue to be worth it. No school is a perfect fit for every child. My advice to you is to stop riding the system and do your part to make it better, or quit complaining when things don't go your way. I'm a parent of three Knights, a former public school educator, and I couldn't be happier with our current situation.

Posted November 19, 2011

To the Parent who typed that their daughter graduated in the first class. I find it really rude that you would point out a few typo's and it's your kind of prejudice that is the real issue with what is wrong in the world. Do you think your children benefit from it. I am a very highly educated parent and guess what? I always have typo's don't care either. If you are not intelligent enough to look past a word spelled wrong then thats on you. I also have a student who has a learning disability and I am very much involved in her school activities but if RA decides to take children with special need they need to step up and provide the services that the are required to provide. YES I am a Democrat, so what? That really has nothing to do with it. Whats your point? The discipline as far as bullying goes, flat out stinks

Posted October 20, 2011

My daughter has been attending this school for her 4th year, and my son recently started Kindergarten. I can't tell you how much we love the school compared to the public school my daughter started in. They hold the children to high standards, and the kids step up to it. The Code of Conduct is great, reminding the kids each day what they are being held to. If they do not follow it, they know what they did wrong. I wish every school had a code of conduct in place! I also appreciate the broad, liberal arts program they have, helping our kids to become well-rounded and motivated learners.

Posted August 19, 2011

My children have attended RA for 10 years. My oldest graduated 2 years ago. RA was absolutely a perfect school for him, he had complaints about it while he was there, but had nothing but glowing compliments for the school when I overheard him talking to his cousins about how much better his relationship with his teachers was compared to how their teachers felt about them. My younger child is currently in High School and loving it. My major complaint about the high school is the focus that the (recently departed) upper school academy director and guidance counselor placed on having students take AP and on-line college courses. The pressure placed on my son to take an on-line course that he did not meet the pre-requisites for had the potential to negatively impact his college acceptances. On the other hand, the fine arts department is fantastic. I have most experience with the drama teacher - she is an amazing woman.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2012.

78 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 74% in 2012.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2011-2012 Pennsylvania used the Pennsylvania System of State Assessments (PSSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in math and reading, in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 11 in science. The results for reading, writing, science and math are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The PSSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Pennsylvania. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 82% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2012.

75 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 65% in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2012.

78 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 69% in 2012.

79 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2012.

70 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 60% in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 73% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2012.

55 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2012.

56 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 42% in 2012.

55 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2012.

56 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Female81%

White94%
Economically disadvantaged82%
Students with disabilities (IEP)69%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students89%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Female 56%N/A49%
Male 44%N/A51%

College readiness and student pathways

Colleges most students attend after graduation UPenn
Drexel
Penn State
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Edison Four Star School (2009)
  • Edison Four Star School (2008)
  • Outstanding Charter Award (2008)

Arts & music

• Community college courses
  • SAT/ACT prep classes
  • School-sponsored trips to college campuses
  • Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Jenifer MacFarland
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• French
Extra learning resources offered
  • Career/college counseling
  • Remediation
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
College preparation / awareness resources offered

Performing arts
  • Dance
  • Drama

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Yearbook