K-12 & Ungraded
Phoenixville, PA
Before care: Yes

Renaissance Academy Charter School 1

Posted December 18, 2014
I removed my child from this school over racial bullying. For two years I requested that the anti-bullying curriculum incorporate racial bullying as a subset, but my request fell on deaf ears. The school has a highly diverse student body (nearly 40% are students of color) but the opposite is true for the administration and faculty. It is essential for children to see and be taught by role models of diverse backgrounds. When faculty and administrators are not specifically taught to recognize and support the diversity in their classrooms, when the do not share the background and experience of the student body, they will be unprepared when incidents do occur. And, incidents will occur, it is the nature of our imperfect society. My child was told by the Dean of Students that what she experienced "did not constitute a racial incident." His lack of formal training and knowledge of the Asian American experience meant that he could not support a vulnerable child in her time of need. Fortunately for my child, we had a plethora of friends, among them civil rights leaders in the Asian American community who supported her. I strongly do not recommend this school.

Renaissance Academy Charter School 4

Posted November 19, 2014
We entered my son into RA at the beginning of sixth grade as I was less than happy at how he was doing at our local school district. He has thrived there and gone on to produce some really fine work and great grades. He is very bright and was simply adrift at the local school where all the emphasis was on the kids who were struggling to perform. Here he is challenged in pretty much everything he does and he really has to try as vs. just coast. Is the school perfect? No, of course not, but even with the problems that they face they have certainly helped my son tremendously

Renaissance Academy Charter School 3

Posted November 02, 2014
This is my child's first year at Renaissance Academy Charter School... the school is great at keeping the parents informed. The students are given plenty of homework assignments, quizzes and exams. The school offers tons of extracurricular activities for the children and fun activities including the parents involvement. The teachers are very organized but can tend to focus more on the grading and percentages than on the individual student.

Renaissance Academy Charter School 1

Posted June 29, 2014
Renaissance Academy Administration and School Board need to be reviewed by an independent company. They do not follow the rules that they have provided in faculty and or student handbooks. Teachers are not reviewed fairly and are constantly being asked to perform excessive paperwork and are not provided adequate space. The school board is totally unaware of what takes place during the school day and does not attend school functions on a regular basis. Administration plays favorites and are untrained on how to evaluate staff and the capabilities of the subject areas they teach. This was a great school at one point....However I have seen the light and it is headed in a very wrong direction. As for the new building. It is a joke! It is not a bigger space, just a new more expensive space. How about we work on getting computers with all of the keys on them or connect to the internet/program without taking 20+ minutes to logon. Just embarrassing.

Renaissance Academy Charter School 2

Posted May 17, 2014
RA could be a great school and it probably is a great school for the numerous students who are children of staff members and board members. It seems they run the school for them. There is a great deal of favoritism towards these kids to the point that other kids give up trying. CEO doesn't see it but her kids are some of favored pet students. It must be nice to use public funds to have your children be pampered.

Renaissance Academy Charter School 2

Posted April 24, 2014
I am a student at R.A. and the learning environment is great, but the pointless rules and control-freak staff ruin the school for everyone. It would be a great school overall but the staff is extremely strict to pointless means like chewing gum and showing affection towards other students. The school as of 2014 is going on a suspension spree, suspending kids and ruining their high school records over small things like showing affection and disrupting class, while many worse things are noticed but are let by due to unknown reasons. It is very unprofessional and lacks the right feel of a school. It is described by many as a 'jail like building' with many uncommon rules and unnecessary abusive rules. The school would be worth attending, but students spend more time complaining about the rules, rather than learning. It would be a great school? But sadly it's not.

Posted April 04, 2014
It's a wonderful, caring school. Every student is valued. Academics are important but also is the development of each child as a contributing member of society. And not only are the children valued but so are,the staff members which means it is a joy to attend each day.u

Posted April 03, 2014
I am a proud Renaissance Academy Charter School parent of three lower school students. This school is amazing! RA has created a fantastic respectful learning environment where the teachers/staff are dedicated to the students and the students genuinely have a love of learning. Since it is a smaller school, individual education needs and goals are able to be met using a team approach. I am continuously impressed by the level of academic achievement the students are able to reach. I also love the commitment to a strong fine arts curriculum with excellent teachers. Parents/guardians are considered an integral part of the school and are always welcome in the classroom. RA frequently recognizes and celebrates the accomplishments of student achievements in the school and in the community. In my experience, the students are happy to be at this school and the teachers/staff are supportive and caring. This is my seventh year at this fine school and I plan for my 3 children to graduate from Renaissance Academy.

Posted April 02, 2014
I am very fortunate to be apart of such an amazing community and group of teachers, parents, staff members, and most of all students! Renaissance is a family. We are able to give individualized attention to our students in a way that helps us connect on a personal level. I would highly recommend this school.

Posted April 02, 2014
I myself went to this school and now my brothers attend this school and just saying that I think says a lot about RA. It's a small school with a ton of potential. It's just a beautiful atmosphere and I wouldn't rate it anything less then 5 starts.

Renaissance Academy Charter School
40 Pine Crest St, Phoenixville, PA  19460
Last modified Renaissance Academy Charter School is a Charter school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Renaissance Academy Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 102 reviews. Top