Pittsburgh, PA

Posted May 29, 2014
I like the school for my son who has some special needs. So far the teachers we have come across have been wonderful. I would recommend this school to other people asking.

Dormont El School 2

Posted January 18, 2012
I liked this school when my daughter had attended. If you have any level of a special needs child forget it. The teachers mistreated him, they punished him when he did not pass a worksheet or a test. The principal was no help. I heard the principal and a few of the teachers laugh and make jokes about some of the children. When I had a specialist come to observe my son, in her words " take your son out of this school" I also had a teacher call my home to tell me the same.

Posted July 07, 2011
We have had such a positive experience with our first year at Dormont Elementary. Sending our first child to kindergarten last year, we weren't sure what to expect from the KO public school system, and our experience was top notch. The teachers at Dormont Elementary are involved and interested in the students, and I have been consistently amazed by the principal's extensive knowledge of the student body. The school secretary is delightful to work with, and I can't rave enough about my own child's kindergarten teacher--her control of the classroom, her nurturing approach, and her attention to each individual child's needs.

Posted June 16, 2011
I can't say enough wonderful things about Dormont Elementary School but I'll try by reviewing a few of my favorite highlights. The principal does a spectaular job of leading and motivating the children, staff and parents. Nothing gets by Mr. Shevchik; his care and concern for the children and the facility is beyond excellent. The teachers at Dormont Elementary are wonderful, patient and kind. They take measured steps each year to prepare children for a lifetime of learning. Another major skill that is taught from K-5 is personal responsibility. The school also does a fantastic job of passing on through learning and exposure an appreciation, and many times love of reading, art, music & physical activity . Each grade level is filled with teachers that work together and truly love teaching children.

Posted April 29, 2010
Great school! Teachers are really caring, good mix of students and great administration.

Posted September 11, 2009

Posted January 03, 2009
We love everything about Dormont Elementary. My children went there K-5 and had nothing but wonderful experiences there. The teachers are top notch and the principal plays a terrifc leadership role and makes Dormont Elementary stand out as a great elementary school. The extra activities are superb including an outstanding music program. We have nothing but great things to say about this school.

Dormont El School 4

Posted September 20, 2008

Posted August 29, 2007
This is my son's second year at Dormont, and I have nothing but good things to say about the school. The principal is so very active and involved, he knows all the children, their families, and interests. The academic programs are well integrated in the early grades, and they adjust well to individual needs. The PFO is incredible, and everyone is so involved- there are times that parents actually have to wait their turn to volunteer. Art, music, gym, computer lab, library... they manage all the usual specials and still have time for a decent lunch period and a daily recess. It has an extended family feel to the place, and is a wonderfully supportive environment to send a child.

Posted May 01, 2006
As a graduate of Keystone Oaks School District I have a long history with the district and have seen many changes. Dormont Elementary has made many academic advances over the past few years as well as extraacurricular advances. This is a school that is extremely close knit, we rely not only on each other, but the community as a whole. Combining the two elementary schools has made a huge difference in the quality of education. The teachers and staff are dedicated to the children in this community. The parents and teachers know all of the children and their families. It is a family type atmosphere.

Dormont El School
3200 Annapolis Ave, Pittsburgh, PA  15216
Last modified Dormont El School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dormont El School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top