Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Posted April 04, 2016
We have two in currently and a third entering next year. The principal is a ball of happy energy and my kids think he's the coolest person ever (we've seen him out and they lose their minds) He genuinely cares and it comes through. Our teachers to this point (3rd) have been fantastic. My shy child has emerged from her shell and is in a special afterschool art program, advanced math and her teachers have given her the praise she needed to find her confidence. I love them for that. They have a golden ticket program that keeps the kids behaving and trying to earn the admiration of teacher/administrators. All the staff has been amazing. The secretary is sweet and helpful and nurse is wonderful. Unfortunately have had too many run-ins but she's always great. I can't say enough good about our experience to date. Not to mention the amazing PFO and group of parents that organize family activities and school projects. Its a dedicated group and I'd put ours up against any school. I tell everyone I meet that Dormont Elementary is top-notch.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted April 04, 2016
Mrs. Bixler was her best 'pairing' thus far. She just reached her on so many levels. She really boosted her self esteem and 2nd grade is the year she blossomed in my mind. She still adores her.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted April 04, 2016
My child is thriving, come out of her shell, in an accelerated math program and an art program that she's learning extra with.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted April 04, 2016
Its not overwhelming. My daughter comes home and does hers in the first 30 minutes of being home. Any more would be too much at this age

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted April 04, 2016
They have a golden/blue ticket program that recognizes good behavior. Mine work so hard to get them. The only way to get them is to listen, behave, be a role model student. They have bully programs and various speakers every year who touch on the subject.

Posted May 29, 2014
I like the school for my son who has some special needs. So far the teachers we have come across have been wonderful. I would recommend this school to other people asking.

Dormont El School 2

Posted January 18, 2012
I liked this school when my daughter had attended. If you have any level of a special needs child forget it. The teachers mistreated him, they punished him when he did not pass a worksheet or a test. The principal was no help. I heard the principal and a few of the teachers laugh and make jokes about some of the children. When I had a specialist come to observe my son, in her words " take your son out of this school" I also had a teacher call my home to tell me the same.

Posted July 07, 2011
We have had such a positive experience with our first year at Dormont Elementary. Sending our first child to kindergarten last year, we weren't sure what to expect from the KO public school system, and our experience was top notch. The teachers at Dormont Elementary are involved and interested in the students, and I have been consistently amazed by the principal's extensive knowledge of the student body. The school secretary is delightful to work with, and I can't rave enough about my own child's kindergarten teacher--her control of the classroom, her nurturing approach, and her attention to each individual child's needs.

Posted June 16, 2011
I can't say enough wonderful things about Dormont Elementary School but I'll try by reviewing a few of my favorite highlights. The principal does a spectaular job of leading and motivating the children, staff and parents. Nothing gets by Mr. Shevchik; his care and concern for the children and the facility is beyond excellent. The teachers at Dormont Elementary are wonderful, patient and kind. They take measured steps each year to prepare children for a lifetime of learning. Another major skill that is taught from K-5 is personal responsibility. The school also does a fantastic job of passing on through learning and exposure an appreciation, and many times love of reading, art, music & physical activity . Each grade level is filled with teachers that work together and truly love teaching children.

Posted April 29, 2010
Great school! Teachers are really caring, good mix of students and great administration.

3200 Annapolis Ave, Pittsburgh, PA  15216
Last modified Dormont El School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.