Bad
Good

Our daughter just finished Kindergarten at this school and I cannot say enough good things about her teacher and the other school staff. The teachers do an amazing job of recognizing the needs of individual students. They set expectations and correct behavior to make sure the learning environment is the best it can possibly be. My daughter left the school year reading and excited about writing in her journal! The kids regularly visit the library, have visitors (police, fire, authors, etc) come speak to the classrooms, and involve the parents as special visitors throughout the year. My daughter broke her arm at the beginning of the year and everyone, including the principal, were so concerned and made sure she had the assistance she needed while she healed.

Our daughter entered Kindergarten in Ms. Lewis' class last year. Ms. Lewis was new so we were a little worried about the unknown, but she was amazing! Our daughter loved it and is already reading sentences, and she won't stop spelling her words out loud to us. The principal and the other parents involvement are at least as great as the private girls school that we had our daughter in for pre-school. Overall very happy with Jefferson!

To cap it off. I really believe last school year was a nicer school year than this 2013-2014 school year. Things were more in control and Mount Lebanon held its great name.

The school doesn't seem to be very serious. My primary concern is that education is #1. I do not feel that education is #1 at this school.

Where's all the male teachers??? Does the male principal there currently, and the one in the past, only hire females? I've seen some male substitutes there, but all appeared to have a different sexuality probably- is that the reason they aren't getting hired? I don't mind having my children taught by them, they are excellent teachers ... is Mount Lebanon discriminating against sexuality?

Jefferson Elementary is a wonderfully warm and caring school which provides a nurturing environment for the students. They have a first-rate library, a full weekly schedule of 'special' subject classes for the students and top-notch teachers and staff. We recently moved out of state and I cannot find any school which comes close to the standard I found at JES. I find myself comparing all schools to JES. The size is wonderful and very family-like. In all, JES and MTLSD is the place to be if you're in Pittsburgh! I just can't say enough and wish my children were still attending there...

I have 2 children at jefferson, and I am very pleased with their classroom experience. They are very intuned with individual abilities. I also have to commend the spanshis program and the librian. They are fabulous assets to the school. Also, The support staff is amazing. My children enjoyed their experience.

Last modified Jefferson El School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.