Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Teachers can only try and do the best they can. I think teachers are fed up with parent/s complaining all the time about petty things, homework, enough or not enough, things kids do in school. Parent/s feel once the child walks through that door it's the teachers responsibility, they don't feel that they have any responsibility nor do a lot of them want it. They just want to get rid of their child for a few hours, almost thinking the school is a babysitter.

Amount of homework: Disagree

When my son was there he never came home with homework - never and he was in first grade. After he went to another school he always had homework. At that age homework is something you have to sit down and work with the child. How many families of children in this school are willing to do that? Not many. Do they care if the child does his homework? Not many.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

It tries! Does it succeed? I don't think. I told instances just like what is happening now to administrators but nothing was done. I had to remove my child from this school because of things like this and my child is autistic so he was in the special ed. classes.

Lasted only 1/2 year in this school - 2nd day my child was grabbed by another student and hit. A month later he was pushed down in the bathroom. It's a disgusting mess in this school - if the child acts out - get them out. Give them to their parent - let them teach their child at home. My child left and is getting a much better education, he even had to be held back a year because he was not on course. Worst school system around. Kids have no respect for anything, parent/parents don't care. I saw a child the other day waiting at a bus stop for a bus - he was probably about 7 all by himself. Where's his parent? How many of you would leave your child at a bus stop by themselves at that age?

The school is understaffed. The student to teacher ratio is way too high. Because of this, teachers cannot provide the differentiated instruction that a diverse group of learners needs. They should be teaching every child that comes through the door, but they are not. Beyond that they have students running around unattended in the hallways, some of them are obviously Kindergartners. If this school were a daycare, it would be shut down.

This is an amazing school! My daughter is entering the 5th grade and she has received an excellent education these past 5 years (K-4). The teachers and the staff care so much for the students. They are always working for grants to enrich the school experience for the students. It is truly a great place to send your child.

After researching several schools, including the Environmental Charter School, St. Maurice Catholic School, and Shadyside Academy, we decided to take a chance an send our two young boys to Edgewood Elementary (formerly Edgewood Primary). I don't think we could be more impressed with the stellar teaching and learning that goes on at the school. One of our sons is in Ms. Reifman's Pre-K class, and his brother is in Mrs. Judge's 1st grade class. These teachers really care about the quality of lessons and activities they do every day. Aside from quarterly grade reports, we get oral updates when we pick up our children from school, or in the form of messages in their folders. We feel that the teachers recognize the strengths and weaknesses in our boys and treat them as unique individuals. This was a hard decision to put our sons in a public school since we had been living overseas for the past 11 years and wanted the transition to the States for the boys to go smoothly. And now, we are so very pleased and thankful for the wonderful teachers and principal at Edgewood Elementary.

The teachers we have had have been great. My daughter is learning. She enjoys school and, except Fridays, always has homework. The staff is courteous, the teacher and principal return messages, and they have offered websites, extra work, and when my daughter is out they have her homework ready to go. Personally, I think everyone should send their kids wherever they want. Parental involvement and paying attention is much more important than where a kid goes to school. That is one reason why this topic will always be discussed, parents must take responsibility to be sure their kids learn. Do some research and it will show it as well.

We've had nothing but great teachers. The principal is excellent, involved and aware of every student. My kids feel safe and have lots of friends. The PTO does a good job of organizing fundraisers and special events.

Edegwood primary is a great atmosphere for students. The teachers a great and communicate with the parents. My son attended Ms Cats kindergarten class and he had trouble at first but she turned him around. Thank you Mrs. Cat

Last modified Edgewood El School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.