No rating

Edgewood Primary School

Public | K-3

Student diversity

Posted June 7, 2013

This is an amazing school! My daughter is entering the 5th grade and she has received an excellent education these past 5 years (K-4). The teachers and the staff care so much for the students. They are always working for grants to enrich the school experience for the students. It is truly a great place to send your child.

Posted February 27, 2011

After researching several schools, including the Environmental Charter School, St. Maurice Catholic School, and Shadyside Academy, we decided to take a chance an send our two young boys to Edgewood Elementary (formerly Edgewood Primary). I don't think we could be more impressed with the stellar teaching and learning that goes on at the school. One of our sons is in Ms. Reifman's Pre-K class, and his brother is in Mrs. Judge's 1st grade class. These teachers really care about the quality of lessons and activities they do every day. Aside from quarterly grade reports, we get oral updates when we pick up our children from school, or in the form of messages in their folders. We feel that the teachers recognize the strengths and weaknesses in our boys and treat them as unique individuals. This was a hard decision to put our sons in a public school since we had been living overseas for the past 11 years and wanted the transition to the States for the boys to go smoothly. And now, we are so very pleased and thankful for the wonderful teachers and principal at Edgewood Elementary.

Posted June 30, 2010

The teachers we have had have been great. My daughter is learning. She enjoys school and, except Fridays, always has homework. The staff is courteous, the teacher and principal return messages, and they have offered websites, extra work, and when my daughter is out they have her homework ready to go. Personally, I think everyone should send their kids wherever they want. Parental involvement and paying attention is much more important than where a kid goes to school. That is one reason why this topic will always be discussed, parents must take responsibility to be sure their kids learn. Do some research and it will show it as well.

Posted April 8, 2010

We've had nothing but great teachers. The principal is excellent, involved and aware of every student. My kids feel safe and have lots of friends. The PTO does a good job of organizing fundraisers and special events.

Posted October 15, 2008

Edegwood primary is a great atmosphere for students. The teachers a great and communicate with the parents. My son attended Ms Cats kindergarten class and he had trouble at first but she turned him around. Thank you Mrs. Cat

Posted October 1, 2008

I love Edgewood Primary & am very grateful that my daughter gets to attend there. Thier teachers are awesome, very sweet-unfortunately my daughter only has 1 more year there.

Posted May 2, 2008

for regular education average kids Edgewood is great. However, for the child who is anything other than the average kid (gifted, or special education) the school is bad.

Posted November 28, 2007

The intentions of this school are excellent and they are really good at 'keeping up appearances.' Unfortunately, it falls short in every area. Students are taught an age-based curriculum regardless of aptitude or skill level and the instruction is not up to the standards elsewhere in the country. The staff is indifferent and occasionally rude. Messages will never be returned--I had to go in person to ask the simplest of 'yes/no' questions. It was ridiculous. Look into Propel.

Posted August 30, 2007

Being that my daughter was enrolled for a short time, our time was an advantageous one. Her teacher, though sort of new, was great w/ all interactions w/ myself and daughter. She quickly recognized that my daughter was performing academically at a much higher level and chose to challenge her academically & creatively. The teacher(s) are all pretty caring and you can see the effort that is put forth daily in the children. However, parent involvement is minimal in the classroom and school-wide events, even thou there is a pretty active PTA.

Posted June 10, 2007

I have nothing but great things to say about this school. I have 2 children that attend the school. They really like their teachers and their fellow classmates. I have never had a problem with the school or any of the staff. I'm glad that my children love to go to school and are really interested in academics. I give many thanks to the staff at Edgewood for making their school experience memorable.

Posted February 22, 2007

I sent my daughter to this school after several years in a preschool, it wasn't until the end of her Kindergarden year that she was finally learning something new! In addition, the K-teacher provided the children with permanant markers for classroom projects! Needless to say my daughter got the marker on her pants and when I called the teacher on her poor choice, I recieved a smug responce. My daughter's 1st grade year was great. Her teacher, Mrs. C., was wonderful, but then came the second grade year. Her teachers apparently now have a problem with math and the alphabet themselves. After 3yrs, we are going to a new school.

Posted November 21, 2006

Responsiveness to parents: F. It has taken more than a month to get the smallest communication from my child s teacher, even when requested repeatedly. No phone calls, emails or notes. I was stunned at how much this is tolerated by administration. Responsiveness to child s needs: F. Discipline: F. The students are clearly in charge. Overall: F. I have seen better schools in inner city Baltimore and rural Appalachia where the crowding and funding are both worse. Principal: F. This school is one in which bad teachers are hired and tolerated.

Posted March 7, 2006

The School its self is nice, It doese have way to many children in it. And is over crouwded. But My children have learned a great bit in the last few months> And the teachers seem to care alot about the children.

Posted June 15, 2004

Too many students in this school and they seem to run all over the teachers. There is absolutely no discipline in this school. We have told the principal about several occasions in which my children were not involved in, but were witnessed to, and they did not suspend or even talk to the parents of these kids, the mother of the child who was the victim, heard it from me! Nothing was done. Another problem is children talking back to the teachers and nothing is done. I would volunteer my time and go in and help the teachers, these children are vulgar, and do not listen at all. We are talking about K-3rd grade here. There is no respect for authority. My advice, find another school, like I did!

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2012.

2011

2010

2009

Reading

The state average for Reading was 74% in 2012.

2011

2010

2009

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2011-2012 Pennsylvania used the Pennsylvania System of State Assessments (PSSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in math and reading, in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 11 in science. The results for reading, writing, science and math are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The PSSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Pennsylvania. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

Economically disadvantagedn/a
Students with disabilities (IEP)n/a
English language learnersn/a
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

241 Maple Ave